TAPCO retainer plate fiasco...

Ah, well, I went against my better judgement and used the Tapco retainer plate to hold my pins in with.

After about 2 hours I finally got it in. Has anyone else had an ordeal with Tapco's plate themselves?

crapco.jpg

&%!@#$ this little $%! thing wasn't even drilled/punched out right to begin with and it took me the good part of an hour to find where and why.

The fire selector/safety selector arm barely goes in anyway, but they didn't punch the hole at the very top left correctly, it was off about 1/10" and I also had to grind a half-moon out of the bottom of it (the part that is supposed to hold the trigger pin in) because it stuck down too far - as if it would cover almost half the pin hole, essentially meaning it wanted to go half-way into the pin instead of stopping at exactly the rim part of it where it's supposed to.

Here I have shown in red exactly where I had to alter it for my rifle:

crapco_fix.jpg

You get a good idea where I'm talking about by seeing in relation to where it is stamped "Tapco USA."

Maybe your rifle is different, but this particular project of mine right now is one of the new imports of 5.45s.

Just thought I should post BUYER BEWARE over this. I like the plate retainers because it can never fall out like people report the clips and springs have in the past. I don't like a few of Tapco products and this just justifies what I was saying in another thread about their flimsy SAW-style grips.

... if you actually buy this plate still, and have to do this on yours, be VERY precise and triple check the bottom part because if you cut too much into it then it won't do anything to hold your pin in place.

:2c:

Edited by Kalashniklown

What is the retainer plate for? I notice that there is no retainer plate on 2 of my AKs and they work perfectly. Is this something Saigas need?

It secures the two pins that on which the trigger and hammer ride. Your AKs have something holding those pins. Any number of things might suffice, but I believe the Krebs retainer plate to be the most reliable, and it's also a lot more convenient that some of the other options.

What is the retainer plate for? I notice that there is no retainer plate on 2 of my AKs and they work perfectly. Is this something Saigas need?

It secures the two pins that on which the trigger and hammer ride. Your AKs have something holding those pins. Any number of things might suffice, but I believe the Krebs retainer plate to be the most reliable, and it's also a lot more convenient that some of the other options.

Thanks!

I would put my money on the Tapco part being correct and the variations are in the rifle. That is the nature of the Saiga.

If the pins are in the wrong place, won't the FCG malfunction? The pieces would be wrongly spaced. I think this is one place where they are building to spec.

Edited by Jim Digriz

My little brother had the same problem with his 7.62, and the Tapco plate. Mine is a Krebs- no issues.

Funny thing, I thought his problem was unique, and now I see this, and nearly the same modifications were needed.

Hmm... Tapco seems hit or miss to me.

Here is an idea: how about just stick with the original intended retainer?

Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics called it the one weak point of the AK system, and recommends the Krebs instead. He also said (in a thread on Warrior Talk): "Guys if your going to buy a retainer plate (and IMO all AK's should have them) Get the plate from Krebs, all the other ones on the market are to brittle and can easily crack. The Krebs plate has an offset in it that makes it easier to install than the others."

Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics called it the one weak point of the AK system, and recommends the Krebs instead. He also said (in a thread on Warrior Talk): "Guys if your going to buy a retainer plate (and IMO all AK's should have them) Get the plate from Krebs, all the other ones on the market are to brittle and can easily crack. The Krebs plate has an offset in it that makes it easier to install than the others."

While I value his opinion greatly, I am not buying it....how many million of AK have a shep crook, and how many have you ever heard of failing? Correct me if I am wrong but don't the russians use them also?

While I value his opinion greatly, I am not buying it....how many million of AK have a shep crook, and how many have you ever heard of failing?

None, but he apparently knows of some. His experience is vastly more than mine.

Even if the reliability was exactly the same as with the Krebs, I would prefer the Krebs just because of how easy it is to install and uninstall.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Probably, the shepard's crook never failed on my other one. I thought I'd try the plate. I will use a Krebs if I do it again.

The way I got in in there finally, there's no chance in hell it's ever coming loose and the pins are falling out unless it breaks in half somehow at the edge of one of the holes.

Time will tell I suppose. Hopefully I am just not in a firefight for my life if/when this palte decides to fall out. Lol. :unsure: