FOR ALL YOU DOG LOVER'S...I HAVE A HEARTWARMING STORY TO TELL

hi yall,...i have a heartwarming story to tell...well it all begun last friday i was reading the morning paper...to come across an article about....."NIKO'..recovering, looking for new home.....so as i continued to read the article...

....their owner was a police officer....and niko and spencer was found by his wife..who was separated from him at this time ...i have heard going thru this adoption process that she left him because of being beaten herself ..and now he is awaiting trail for charges of animal crulety...that have been filed by another police officers as well as the animal control officer....

my eye's begun to swell with tears as.. niko a 3-yr old rottweiler...and spencer a 1yr old a mixed breed....were rescued from their home on nov.1.....spencer already had died do to malnutrition.... niko near death was rushed to a local animal hospital....

niko....he was only 52 lbs when he got there..he is 87 lbs now..but his last records show he was 155lbs..that's alot of weight he lost..so his situation had been going on for a while..he was being treated for advance stage of malnutrition and dehydration as well.....and has too be on a special diet with anti-biotics..ect...he has digestive problems..and is unable to process regular food....but in order to set up sessions i had to have experience with rottweiler's as well own them... in which i have 2 rottweilers already...and he was very aggressive to men period....an acting dr was a male and was bitten...so i took my chances....and placed a call....when spoke to dr they had to find a home asap..his cost of care was well over $4500.00..and could not contiune to care for him cause he used up all emergency funds as well as donations....

the first session between niko and i was shaky..at best...very aggressive..growling/showing his teeth....but as time went on he then warmed up after 15 min or so i did not give up.. i continued to talk to him..ect.. ..the second session he came right to me and he allowed me to pet him and hug him....as this session went on ....i am sorry but i cried like a baby...too feel his ribs...bones.....to watch him struggle at times to stand up...rott's are known for their muscular build and stoutness...his muscles were like jello and his built was that of a decomposing body...and to touch his body was a very hard and crushing feeling...i have seen pics of before and after and it's just sick..from a massive beautiful animal to nothing but skin and bones..to see a magnificiant animal with so much potential to be struggling with the balance of life....it was very hard not to get emotional everytime i seen him....i would leave there a nervous wreck....

and other people that would see him..he was fine with the women...but attacked and even chased a couple of men out of the room he would be in...and the doctor was impressed with my handling of him...i was given the name of rottweiler whisperer,...she said i was the only one who could get close to him...my third session all i could do was cry while hugging him...at this point in time i was a emotional wreck and could no longer hold back my feelings for him...knowing that i was his only hope at this time and if he wasn't adopted soon he would of been put down...and due to the fact they told everybody else..no..and he had fought so hard to survive..i felt i could not let this happend and continued to beg and plea on my behalf that i could provide everything he needed and on his behalf knowing he had a lot to offer and that he is strong willed to over come what he has been thru...and they knew i was emotionally attached to him ..and then a surprised visit from the animal control guy came out he seen i was able to provide everything needed to adopt him and we continued to talk for about 2hrs...he was pretty cool guy..and told me he was going to tell these people that i was the best fit for him..i found out later that evening...i meet everyone's criteria...

so this friday he got neutered..and basically that's all it cost me plus shots to adopt him.....my christmas came early...he came home with me on sat...i started this sat evening...but to re-play all what i have seen of him and typing it..i got emotional again... when i comes to animals that have been abused i get emotional...especially all the damage that was done to my niko....yes...he is my niko now....the local paper wants to do a another article on him..thank you for reading ...i just had to vent and find away to help me get this off my chest...and now my main focus is to help my niko not only over come the physical abuse but psychological abuse as well.....merry christmas and happy new-year to you all...thank you loupost-22679-0-31350700-1292743320_thumb.jpg

Edited by loubove
  • Like 7

+1 for taking the guy in. :up:

People who take in animals & then neglect them absolutely disgust me.

I have no respect for those types whatsoever.

I believe a man is judged on how they take care of their flock. It shows their TRUE character.

Someone who neglects, let alone abuses an animal is lower than whale shit in my book.

I'm not saying don't smack the dog's ass when he acts up, being as that's how even dogs raise pups. (they bite their ass though) But abuse is just a sign of sadism.

I may not be rich, but feeding a house pet is cheap.

I just actually spent the majority of my Christmas money to bring my little guy to the vet, because he kept scratching & had a rash on his belly & his ass was going bald from him chewing around it. Turns out he got ringworm, likely from playing with some homeless people's dogs at a homeless shelter I was volunteering at not too long ago.

I'm on a rice & ramen diet for a couple weeks to recoup Christmas present cash. But those in a man's charge come first if he wants to call himself a man in my honest opinion.

But to their credit, at least their dogs were fed, & they're homeless! The previous owner of your pooch apparently had a job. There's NO excuse for that crap.

But on the other hand, I can understand the humane society's rationale, but I can't stand the humane society or most "rescue's" policies.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna let someone do background checks & search my house to "approve" me for an animal. Not to mention that they're the driving force behind people not being to advertise their pups & kittens so people who want & can care for them can find them. This leads people to push the animals onto people who may not be prepared for them, & can lead to more misery for the animals... Then the "rescues" step in & say they're heros, when the animals would have found better homes if the "rescues" never meddled with the people who had a litter in the first place.

I do understand that some people are irresponsible with their flock & I absolutely detest that, however, I also see ulterior motives behind some of the "rescue's" motivations at times.

I got really pissed when I ran into that.

I love my little buddy. I've had him since he was 9 weeks old & he just turned 3.

Best addition I've ever made to my life.

S6300463-1.jpg

Edited by Paulyski

Hello

Goodon'ya, loubove! That's the real CHRISTmas spirit, right there! Looking out for those less fortunate, especially those who DON'T have the option to decide their own destiny, unlike humans in this great Country.

Somebody of some note (Mark Twain?) was quoted centuries ago as saying:

"A man's true character can be judged by his treatment of his livestock and his servants."

I think in modern times a translation can read "animals in general" and "how he tips his waitstaff at the restaurant".

Paulyski, same to you. Right on for stepping up.

While I share your views on the "rescue" groups who seem bound and determined to "take" folks pets because they operate under some fascist draconian rule that allows it, I have to differ with you on the home visit thing. I'm a member of a rescue group (German Wirehaired Pointers) and you would be amazed at the difference between what is sometimes stated on an application and what is found during a home visit. People who claim to have two other dogs actually have twenty-two, people who claim to have their dogs as inside pets actually have them chained to trees, etc. We've never actually had a home visit uncover somebody who had fighting dogs who wanted to obtain bait dogs, but many smaller breed rescues have horrible stories of sight-unseen adoptions.

It's amazing how many people lose interest in adopting a rescue when they find out they have already been spayed or neutered. Great, let's start a new puppy mill with rescue dogs.....

Sometimes it's discouraging to see how shitty people can be, but really, it's not about the people, it's about the welfare of the dogs.

And then there are those uplifting times when rescuers run across folks like y'all! Kind of helps to make up for it.

Give Niko and the handsome little Lab fellow some CHRISTmas VTR's for me. (Vigorous Tummy Rubs)

The best,

-guido

Love a good Dog Story. Thanks for sharing.

We got our male Scottie from a good breeder. The female came from a Scottie rescue shelter over in Kansas City. The little girl dog had been in a dark rabbit hutch cage in a barn for her first 4 monthes. Even now 5 years later she is still a little flakey and fearful of 'new things'. Given a few moments and a bit of reassurance she returns to normal and is a great little dog.

Funniest part of the two dog team.. She, timid as she is with people, is the definite ALPHA DOG of the pair we have. She tells him what to do and when to do it. A simple look from her will get him to change directions or stop what he is doing...no audible sound is issued, just a hard look and he backs off (90% of the time). If he misses the signal, she snaps her jaw, just once. When that 'click' is heard, the male sits down and awaits his instructions. I sure wish he'd do that for me. With us he is the typical Scottie. He will obey commands, but has to think about them for a minute or two before agreeing to come or whatever !!

Here is DEMI (on the left- Blue collar) telling McDUFF (Red Collar) what he should be doing. (Note his eyes giving away his emotional reaction )

619.jpg

Edited by Mayor Al

Really pretty animal. Nice to see one taken in that needs a home.

Too bad people cant stop cranking out more animals than the population of the world could ever need from puppy mills and self proclaimed mad scientists creating breeds that should never be made.:ded:

Plenty of wonderful pets out there that need a good home. A+ to you. Some just need a little work to warm up to a new family. You gotta show them you are their best friend.

I am waiting for a phone call to find out if I can pick up this Australian Shepherd in Lufkin Texas. He is almost two years old, was always kept in the backyard. People didn't like it because he would jump up on the kids when they went out back. No shit, he was attention starved and zero discipline/training. Got aggressive with a vet tech and the people dropped him off at the shelter. Pure bred, Red Merle Aussie. I live in the country with plenty of room for this guy. Smart dogs and easy to train.

Jack

post-11998-0-00062400-1292852212_thumb.jpg

That's a great story! Thank you for caring enough for Niko to not give up on him, and to give him a good home. My Rottie boy, Jimmy, came to me from a high-kill shelter in North Carolina. I could count his ribs by just looking at him, and three days after I got him I gave him his first bath (he was neutered the day before I got him, and I had to wait for the wound to heal) and I found cigarette burns on his legs. Talk about :anger: ... All this dog wants is someone's lap to lay his head in, and he was treated that way. He is very leery of some men and it took him a long time to not be afraid if I had something in my hand like a broom, yard stick, etc. so I am quite certain that he was beaten and abused by a man.

Here are my puppers... That's Jimmy in the foreground, with Tara, my therapy dog, in the background. Tara and I visit nursing homes.TaraJimmySeptember07.jpg

This is Jimmy the day I brought him home

DSC05085-rs.jpg

And here is Tara

DSCN0258.jpg

While I share your views on the "rescue" groups who seem bound and determined to "take" folks pets because they operate under some fascist draconian rule that allows it, I have to differ with you on the home visit thing. I'm a member of a rescue group (German Wirehaired Pointers) and you would be amazed at the difference between what is sometimes stated on an application and what is found during a home visit. People who claim to have two other dogs actually have twenty-two, people who claim to have their dogs as inside pets actually have them chained to trees, etc. We've never actually had a home visit uncover somebody who had fighting dogs who wanted to obtain bait dogs, but many smaller breed rescues have horrible stories of sight-unseen adoptions.

It's amazing how many people lose interest in adopting a rescue when they find out they have already been spayed or neutered. Great, let's start a new puppy mill with rescue dogs.....

Sometimes it's discouraging to see how shitty people can be, but really, it's not about the people, it's about the welfare of the dogs.

Yeah.

I got ya.

People just need to step up as a community, watch what's going on in the community & knock the shit out of people in the community every now & again, so maybe, just maybe, we can knock their heads out of their asses, rather than just let shit happen, then react by restricting everyone.

Unfortunately, most of the people in society don't even realize what the true concept of "community" is.

Some people are mentally ill & animal hoard, some other times, they're simply sadists.

I just don't like the idea of someone coming over to my house for no other reason than to pass judgment one way or another on me.

My word is bond, & I take it as a personal insult to be questioned & "checked up on".

Shitty situation.

People just need to develop character.

Casimir is a Beagle/Golden retriever mix & was the result of an accident that happened when a Beagle breeder turned her back.

I got him at a fire sale price.

Edited by Paulyski