Installed Bulgy plum furniture with bolt LHG Retainer

I just got the furniture in today and put it together. All the Bulgy surplus was CAKED with grease. I spent an hour and a half with my steam cleaner getting it off. I pulled the buttplate off the stock and it was half full of old grease. The lower handguard went on well. I filed the notch too far forward and had about 1/16" front to back slop, so out came the mig welder..... I put one tack on the front of my groove and refiled to allow the bolt to go through. I used the bolt that came with it and did not trim the threads in the middle. I could see light through the handguard right behind the retainer on the bottom, so I drilled that out and installed a sling stud with a nut on the back(inside the handguard). Then came the gas tube(east german AKM).....It took some trimming off the part that touches the cam lock, and also the bottom of the front retainer touched the lower handguard retainer and was pushing on it too hard, so that got the bench grinder treatment too. I painted over all my shiny surfaces with some black spray paint and was done with all the fitting. Pistol grip and stock went off without a hitch. If you need to know what screws to get for the stock, they are 10x1.25" wood screws I got from Lowes. I made sure to get the ones with the slot head to keep 'original' looks, and painted the heads black.

Went from this:

CIMG1553.jpg

To this:

CIMG2929.jpg

And with the scope:

CIMG2936.jpg

I like it a bunch and can even store my cleaning capsule in the butt. I didn't think I was going to be a fan of the plumb, but it really looks good.

Edited by toshbar

I like it, I have the same components and would do it to mine, but for 922r compliance!

:sadam:

:unsure::blush:

That reminds me - I need to go make sure my stamp set is where I left it. :lolol:

Post #123 W00T

Edited by toshbar

How did you get the lower HG retainer on without pulling FSB and GB? Did you split it?

Close up photo to show results?

This could be huge as I had to buy the modded clamp style to fit my K-Var Stuff!

I like the look and have you tried it with the scope on it? Would like to know how yours groups at 100 yards.

:super:

Frosty

where do you get the salmon pistol grip

Got it from APEX gun parts out of colorado. It came with the pistol grip, the front upper and lower handguard and the stock, which does have the butthole for the cleaning kit. It's listed as Bulgarian AK74 polymer stock set and is $45. They have a wood set for $25. I got an East German AKM gas tube from the same site for $30 but now they've taken it off the website.:unsure:

I like plum. I happened to have black stuff so I used black on mine but in the future I might swap it out.

That's the Brownells retainer isn't it? You didn't have to file the threads?

Are you gon'na put a threaded FSB on?

How did you get the lower HG retainer on without pulling FSB and GB? Did you split it?

Close up photo to show results?

This could be huge as I had to buy the modded clamp style to fit my K-Var Stuff!

I like the look and have you tried it with the scope on it? Would like to know how yours groups at 100 yards.

:super:

Frosty

I bought the bolt on retainer from brownells. It was $23 and kalashniklown and I have had good results using it. I've shot it with the scope out to 500 yards where I can pull a 7" group(1.5 MOA) which is fairly good excellent for an AK type gun. Here's a thread you should look at: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=59620

I like plum. I happened to have black stuff so I used black on mine but in the future I might swap it out.

That's the Brownells retainer isn't it? You didn't have to file the threads?

Are you gon'na put a threaded FSB on?

yep, brownells retainer. I didn't file the threads on the allen bolt.

I doubt i'm going to do the FSB, but i'll leave that open for the future. I have a lot of other things I wanna do with my other rifles right now.(aperture sights, more ammo, NM sights on the AR),