So, what is the deal with the Draco?

I have been seeing Draco AK pistols all over the place and they seem rather popular, but I do not know a whole lot about them. Admittedly, they have piqued my curiosity on the grounds of their appearance alone, but would something like this have a good deal of recoil with such a short barrel? Can they even be used in an accurate manner without turning one into an SBR? I am on the fence with the Draco. Is there anything that would get me off the fence and get me to purchase one someday?

I would love to make one of them into an SBR, but I am not sure how much of a hassle all of that BATF paperwork would be to get that $200.00 tax stamp.

I don't know much about the Draco and to be honest I have little interest.

As a pistol they are a novelty and don't have much purpose unless you just want to collect different AK style firearms. And as a SBR they look kind of strange to me,

Maybe my opinion would change after shooting one... but I doubt it.

If you decide to get one I would think you would be best off SBRing it.

One thing thats cool about those guns is that even in that shorter barrel length the 7.62x39 doesn't take as much a loss in effectiveness as would a cartridge like a 5.56, .223 ect. You should be able to use a sling with the draco and get enough support from it to shoot accurately otherwise you should be almost as accurate with a draco as you would be with a folded stocked akm. One other benefit is that if you wanted to drive around with something more substantial in your car, the draco is treated like a pistol so in many states you could have one loaded in your car where you wcould not with a stocked rifle.

I have been seeing Draco AK pistols all over the place and they seem rather popular, but I do not know a whole lot about them. Admittedly, they have piqued my curiosity on the grounds of their appearance alone, but would something like this have a good deal of recoil with such a short barrel? Can they even be used in an accurate manner without turning one into an SBR? I am on the fence with the Draco. Is there anything that would get me off the fence and get me to purchase one someday?

I would love to make one of them into an SBR, but I am not sure how much of a hassle all of that BATF paperwork would be to get that $200.00 tax stamp.

THe Draco is prolly your cheapest bet if you what to go with the SBR. The pistol itself is about $300-$400. You'd need to take out the rear trunion and install one for a stock. Im not an expert in this but you might not have to remove the trunion, maybe there's an adaptor for it or something. You'd have to do some research. Thats it. The stock can be as expansive or as cheap as you want.

The Draco and the stamp should run you up to about $600. There rest is how plain or fancy you want to get. Refinish...new hand guards...type of stock! This is where it starts to add up.

Thats not bad considering an Arsenal krink will be at least double just for the gun.

Heres what my was

SBR krink $2025

Aimpoint (already sighted in for this gun) with rings and side mount $150

Original Krink cary canvas bag $25

Tax stamp $200

Total = $2400

If I went with just the gun (and the stamp)it would have been $2225. But I liked the whole package and the aimpoint, although an older model, is still a great red dot for $150 with accessories.

If you just want it in a pistol. Than you'd have to try one. I had a Bulgy AK pistol (stupid sold it before I knew I could make an SBR out of it) and I didnt realy care for it. Couldnt shoot it accuratly. Others shoot them just fine.

I can personally vouch for accuracy. The one I have is way more accurate than I would have believed. My son and I were drilling small zombie squash and pumpkins at just over 100 yards off hand. I had hoped it would hold a group at 100 yards to a paper plate and it is exceptionally capable. At 50 yards it holds a very tight ragged hole group. I seriously want to form 1 this fella. Just payed for my Texas Armaments genII dogleg and can't wait to get a good "dot" mounted on top. In closing, I would not want to be within 100-300 yards of this particular draco loaded with some good ammo once SBR'd. Even being shot off hand I would not want to be within a 100 yards. Your milage may vary.

I can personally vouch for accuracy. The one I have is way more accurate than I would have believed. My son and I were drilling small zombie squash and pumpkins at just over 100 yards off hand. I had hoped it would hold a group at 100 yards to a paper plate and it is exceptionally capable. At 50 yards it holds a very tight ragged hole group. I seriously want to form 1 this fella. Just payed for my Texas Armaments genII dogleg and can't wait to get a good "dot" mounted on top. In closing, I would not want to be within 100-300 yards of this particular draco loaded with some good ammo once SBR'd. Even being shot off hand I would not want to be within a 100 yards. Your milage may vary.

That is far better than I was expecting from an offhand style of shooting with such a short barreled gun. That does make it seem more interesting.

THe Draco is prolly your cheapest bet if you what to go with the SBR. The pistol itself is about $300-$400. You'd need to take out the rear trunion and install one for a stock. Im not an expert in this but you might not have to remove the trunion, maybe there's an adaptor for it or something. You'd have to do some research. Thats it. The stock can be as expansive or as cheap as you want.

The Draco and the stamp should run you up to about $600. There rest is how plain or fancy you want to get. Refinish...new hand guards...type of stock! This is where it starts to add up.

How much trouble is it to get the $200 tax stamp? Is it anything like trying to get a permit for a Class III full-auto or selective firearm, or is it more simplified than that? Where would I go to get the paperwork in the first place if I were to go that route (I don't even know where to start when it comes to that)?

If you just want it in a pistol. Than you'd have to try one. I had a Bulgy AK pistol (stupid sold it before I knew I could make an SBR out of it) and I didnt realy care for it. Couldnt shoot it accuratly. Others shoot them just fine.

I suppose I would have to get one either way if I wanted to give it a try. If the paperwork were too much of a hassle, I could probably keep it as a pistol. After sniffing around, it seems that one can use a sling in a given way to improve accuracy.

I don't know much about the Draco and to be honest I have little interest.

As a pistol they are a novelty and don't have much purpose unless you just want to collect different AK style firearms. And as a SBR they look kind of strange to me,

Maybe my opinion would change after shooting one... but I doubt it.

If you decide to get one I would think you would be best off SBRing it.

It would look a bit different as an SBR, but it would easily be the cheapest route to go. More authentic "Krinkov" guns sell for far higher when it comes to SBR rifles.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

Hello

I would guess that most of the people that buy and SBR these do it for the practicality of the weapon, rather than the resale value.

Purchasing a genuine new European receiver AK with short barrel/gas system for $330 delivered to your FFL is quite the deal. We're talking dimples, "Y" stamp, wood furniture, etc.

Add the $200 tax stamp and a $100 stock to whatever your FFL transfer fee is and that's one helluva firearm deal. You can fill out and send in the Form 1 yourself if you're just adding a stock to an existing weapon, it's pretty simple.

Of course, that's providing you have the means of obtaining the Class III stuff already, like an understanding sheriff, or trust/Corp. set up.

With all of the hassles involved in transfering an NFA item I'd probably just keep all of mine anyway, rather than consider selling 'em.

Not that I have that many.

JMHO....

-guido

I dont know what kind of laws you have in MN for class 3. Some states require a trust. Some states dont allow sbr's. If MN is anything like Pa then its not hard.

Assuming your laws are the same as my....

Call the NFA and have them send you a Form 1 or Form 4 its free. 1 if you converting to sbr yourself and 4 if you are buying an sbr. My was on Form 4

You'll need to have doubles of everything and no photo coping.

You can also get the paperwork of the NFA website but it has to be mailed in as 1 page with 2 sides NOT 2 pages with one side.

You have to have doubles of everything. So you're sending in 2 identical pages with 2 identical fingerprint cards and 2 identical certifications that you are a US citizen.

The paperwork is 1 page front and back. Both copies. You cant photo copy. Take the fingerprint cards, fill them out, and go to your local police station and have them finger print you.

Get 2 2x2 photos of yourself

Take all this to your County Chief LEO and have him /her sign of on it. If he doesnt want to then your ride is over

Fill out the certification of citizenship (real easy)

write out a check for $200 and mail it in. They also take USPS postal money orders, but only USPS. The problem with the money orders is you cant track if they have deposited it or not so your stuck waiting and not knowing.

Sit back, open a cold one and wait....My took 2months 21days. Sometimes it takes longer.

This was the first time I did class 3 paperwork and its not hard at all just dont rush trough it. Make sure you tripple check everything and use you full given name. If you're Michael dont use Mike...

Overall its not much trouble to do this. Filling out the paperwork only takes an evening the rest is just making time to gete fingerprinted and signed off.

Once your form one comes back aproved you can start to convert your Draco

Edited by Arik

The draco makes a lot of sense as a base for an SBR. It is much cheaper than many of the alternatives. I personally would not get one if my intent were to keep it as a pistol. They are too unwieldy like that and not real useful IMHO. The 7.62x39 is a great round for an SBR as well. It loses very little velocity out of an abbreviated barrel.

i say that the draco is an excellent choice for MANY reasons.alot of people may say they are more of a novelty item or for collecting and not really much useful unless you SBR it......not exactly true.even in the "pistol" form it is very useful and can be an excellent tool.the main issue is getting used to the different ways to apply and shoot the draco.with practice ther are a few ways you can get comfortable shooting.this should be one of the FUN parts for us gun guys is going out to the range or field to get in touch with your new kalashnikov.other reasons for getting the draco....its new not assembled from surpluss.it is actually a "pistol" imported in so this benifit is a double whammy cause now 922r does not apply AND century arms has NOTHING to do with the build,they just import.its factory made to function with the short barrel.the 7.62x39 works well with short system in terms of ballistics and accuracy inside the standard small arms combat zone.its fairly inexpensive.and of course the best reason is its ready for you to send off your paperwork for the SBR and keep enjoying your draco "pistol" untill then.sooooooooo......i bet that fence is starting to rub on you a bit......when you coming down off that thing?oh and merry christmas.

Edited by BuzzNectar

I dont know what kind of laws you have in MN for class 3. Some states require a trust. Some states dont allow sbr's. If MN is anything like Pa then its not hard.

I was looking at a Draco at a gun shop/range, and I basically remarked that the Draco would probably be more useful as an SBR and asked if it were even possible to do it. He basically said that I would need to get a $200.00 tax stamp, so I am sure that it is at least possible.

Assuming your laws are the same as my....

Call the NFA and have them send you a Form 1 or Form 4 its free. 1 if you converting to sbr yourself and 4 if you are buying an sbr. My was on Form 4

You'll need to have doubles of everything and no photo coping.

You can also get the paperwork of the NFA website but it has to be mailed in as 1 page with 2 sides NOT 2 pages with one side.

You have to have doubles of everything. So you're sending in 2 identical pages with 2 identical fingerprint cards and 2 identical certifications that you are a US citizen.

The paperwork is 1 page front and back. Both copies. You cant photo copy. Take the fingerprint cards, fill them out, and go to your local police station and have them finger print you.

Get 2 2x2 photos of yourself

Take all this to your County Chief LEO and have him /her sign of on it. If he doesnt want to then your ride is over

Fill out the certification of citizenship (real easy)

write out a check for $200 and mail it in. They also take USPS postal money orders, but only USPS. The problem with the money orders is you cant track if they have deposited it or not so your stuck waiting and not knowing.

Sit back, open a cold one and wait....My took 2months 21days. Sometimes it takes longer.

This was the first time I did class 3 paperwork and its not hard at all just dont rush trough it. Make sure you tripple check everything and use you full given name. If you're Michael dont use Mike...

Overall its not much trouble to do this. Filling out the paperwork only takes an evening the rest is just making time to gete fingerprinted and signed off.

Once your form one comes back aproved you can start to convert your Draco

I will keep this stuff in mind. It does not sound too hard (it must be the full-auto Class III stuff that takes a lot of waiting, paperwork, etc.). Hopefully I can get a county sheriff or something to sign off on such a thing. Time will tell, though. If I can't get a signature from the guy for some reason, I suppose I could at least keep it as a pistol and perhaps eventually move to another nearby county and try my luck again with a different county chief LEO, should I be refused a signature for some stupid reason (Besides a traffic ticket, there is nothing on my record).

The draco makes a lot of sense as a base for an SBR. It is much cheaper than many of the alternatives. I personally would not get one if my intent were to keep it as a pistol. They are too unwieldy like that and not real useful IMHO. The 7.62x39 is a great round for an SBR as well. It loses very little velocity out of an abbreviated barrel.

That is a good thing to know. Perhaps that is why Yugoslavia went with 7.62X39mm for their M92 "Krinkov" instead of opting for the 5.45X39mm round like the Russians did.

i say that the draco is an excellent choice for MANY reasons.alot of people may say they are more of a novelty item or for collecting and not really much useful unless you SBR it......not exactly true.even in the "pistol" form it is very useful and can be an excellent tool.the main issue is getting used to the different ways to apply and shoot the draco.with practice ther are a few ways you can get comfortable shooting.this should be one of the FUN parts for us gun guys is going out to the range or field to get in touch with your new kalashnikov.other reasons for getting the draco....its new not assembled from surpluss.it is actually a "pistol" imported in so this benifit is a double whammy cause now 922r does not apply AND century arms has NOTHING to do with the build,they just import.its factory made to function with the short barrel.the 7.62x39 works well with short system in terms of ballistics and accuracy inside the standard small arms combat zone.its fairly inexpensive.and of course the best reason is its ready for you to send off your paperwork for the SBR and keep enjoying your draco "pistol" untill then.sooooooooo......i bet that fence is starting to rub on you a bit......when you coming down off that thing?oh and merry christmas.

I was not aware that it was full of factory Romanian parts instead of Century junk, but would 922r apply if I decided to turn it into a short barreled rifle? Admittedly, I am moving in favor of getting one. I am already planning on going to the gun shop/range on Monday to get an FFL transfer ready for a Saiga 5.45 (with Izhmash going bankrupt and production being shifted, I could be waiting a long time to get one at a decent price otherwise, so I will get one online ASAP instead), so perhaps I will put one on layaway while I am there (or if my CCW permit managed to show up in the mail while I was away visiting my family, I will just buy it and then pick up the G19 I put on layaway some time ago).

I would probably get an underfolder type of butt-stock after turning a Draco into an SBR:

DracoUnderfolderSBR.jpg

I don't know how to get that butt-stock installed, but I could probably get a gunsmith do to that anyway (and perhaps thread the barrel so I could put some kind of muzzle brake on it).

Well, that and Merry Christmas to everyone else. ^_^

I was not aware that it was full of factory Romanian parts instead of Century junk, but would 922r apply if I decided to turn it into a short barreled rifle?

I have read different things on this. I have never bothered to do the research to see if the ATF has promulgated an actual rule or if they are just issuing various interpretations on it to people. Making it 922® compliant shouldn't be much of an issue really. I'd do some true legal research if I was going to do it, but I'd likely just make it compliant to be on the safe side; its easy enough to do.

I would probably get an underfolder type of butt-stock after turning a Draco into an SBR:

I know some Dracos had UF trunions so you might see if you could locate one and it would make adding an UF stock relatively easy. UFs are not really my cup of tea do to cheek weld and wobble issues but they do look cool and make for a compact package.

as far as the the needing to 922r it if you go SBR,you would not have to cause 922r does not apply to NFA weapons either.as for the threading of the muzzle...it already is threaded with the thread cap there is a little tac weld on the bottom to hold it in place.you can take a dremmel and slice that weld fairly quickly and easily.for the choice of an underfolder i personaly dont know how to tell you how to install one but i do like the underfolder due to the compact ability.if i were doing it though i would just do an ace folder as it would be an easy install.either way sounds like your having fun getting options and guns.good luck.

I know some Dracos had UF trunions so you might see if you could locate one and it would make adding an UF stock relatively easy. UFs are not really my cup of tea do to cheek weld and wobble issues but they do look cool and make for a compact package.

I managed to find a Draco, but I am not sure if it has any kind of such trunnion. Even if it doesn't, I can still probably have a gunsmith figure something out. An underfolder is probably not the most stable platform, but it is something different I have never tried (my SAR-1 has a standard fixed AKM butt-stock).

as far as the the needing to 922r it if you go SBR,you would not have to cause 922r does not apply to NFA weapons either.as for the threading of the muzzle...it already is threaded with the thread cap there is a little tac weld on the bottom to hold it in place.you can take a dremmel and slice that weld fairly quickly and easily.for the choice of an underfolder i personaly dont know how to tell you how to install one but i do like the underfolder due to the compact ability.if i were doing it though i would just do an ace folder as it would be an easy install.either way sounds like your having fun getting options and guns.good luck.

I did notice the muzzle nut and that weld on the Draco I found today. That is good to know, as I have been a bit weary of trying to thread it myself (this is probably largely unwarranted paranoia on my behalf; I have not done much work on anything before with tools so I am probably making mountain out of a mole hill here, but if it is already threaded anyway, that just makes my job easier). I will try to double check with the BATFE when I take the SBR route just to make sure that 922r does not apply.

I am now off the fence, as I placed a Draco on layaway today (it would have been nice if I could have walked out of the shop with it today, but the country sheriff's office is taking its sweet time with my CCW permit, which doubles as a permit to purchase in Minnesota). :super:

That has been changed you will need 922R parts no big deal in that anyhow.

Also draco's have a under folder rear trunnion already but the receiver is just not cut for it

Edit to add: looks like the post above mine already has the info I posted LOL

Edited by madmax4x4

That has been changed you will need 922R parts no big deal in that anyhow.

Also draco's have a under folder rear trunnion already but the receiver is just not cut for it

Edit to add: looks like the post above mine already has the info I posted LOL

As you can obviously tell, I have never made a serious study of all AK parts (I have not thought of it too much, as I completely lack the skills, tools, and workspace to build them from parts kits), but I am assuming this is what is meant by the flat back of the Draco (just as the underfolding AK's have that flat back).

:super: Congrats Wolf! :super:

There is a company that makes a plug and play rear trunion so you can add a UF. Looks kinda weird, IMO, but to each their own...

Interesting. I will have to take a look at that sometime.

I have had an interest in these AK pistols ever since they came out. Regarding SBR, SGMTACTICAL has just come out with an interior rear trunion which can either be rivited or has screws which can be allen wrench tightened, to provide a rear base for a M-4 or similar collapsable stock, once the SBR is approved. Some people build their AK pistols using under folder trunions - and that is how I would go if and when I build one or have one built. I have purchased several under folder trunions for that very reason. I think that the under folder trunion, being as thick a steel as it is and the placement of attachment points, (whether rivited or aircraft grade attachment screws), would make a very solid rear trunion. I know that there are builders who make their pistol builds using the UF trunions, probably for that very reason. The VM-1 metal sling attachment that fits between the pistol grip and extends back and up for the sling attachment point was another smart innovation. People just amaze me thinking out of the box. The manner of stabilizing the Draco in firing is to attach a sling, and push against the pistol grip while a shortened sling is around the shoulder or back, from what I've heard the most regarding how to fire them with stability. in a manner similar to a carbine. The SGM TACTICAL rear trunion appears to have been designed primarily with the Siaga in mind and attaching some ofthe collapsable stocks on the market, so it could not be used as a Pistol trunion unless there was a manner to weld a back plate or attach it in a manner to make the rear SGM pistol trunion unusable to attach a stock.

Regarding the use for such a pistol- well,I can think of a good many also - the fun factor is right up there. Most if not all of my firearms are SHTF orientated. The Draco (Which means Dragon in Latin- so one would have a Romanian Dragon Pistol) would be a good carry weapon for a truck or auto, suitcase, small arry bag, back pack, etc - and at the ranges or distances one would typically utilize it from the proximity of a vehicle in a SHTF situation or in or around buildings, then it would be very worthwhile to have. Untill the collapse, or the SHTF,then one can refine the Draco pistol, practice with it, think of appropriate place to hide it or secure it and consider more than one as snacks. Yes, I will be getting one or more, at least that is in my plans at present. In Freedom - From Central Florida..........

It appears that the Draco "C's" which came out a few months ago are built using the rear underfolding trunnion. The Draco without the "C" which have been out for a few years don't have the underfolding rear trunnion. There may be a few exceptions to this trend, but I haven't seen any. So if you are looking to buy a Draco, with plans to SBR it with an underfolder, look for the "C". GARY N4KVE

I have had an interest in these AK pistols ever since they came out. Regarding SBR, SGMTACTICAL has just come out with an interior rear trunion which can either be rivited or has screws which can be allen wrench tightened, to provide a rear base for a M-4 or similar collapsable stock, once the SBR is approved. Some people build their AK pistols using under folder trunions - and that is how I would go if and when I build one or have one built. I have purchased several under folder trunions for that very reason. I think that the under folder trunion, being as thick a steel as it is and the placement of attachment points, (whether rivited or aircraft grade attachment screws), would make a very solid rear trunion. I know that there are builders who make their pistol builds using the UF trunions, probably for that very reason. The VM-1 metal sling attachment that fits between the pistol grip and extends back and up for the sling attachment point was another smart innovation. People just amaze me thinking out of the box. The manner of stabilizing the Draco in firing is to attach a sling, and push against the pistol grip while a shortened sling is around the shoulder or back, from what I've heard the most regarding how to fire them with stability. in a manner similar to a carbine. The SGM TACTICAL rear trunion appears to have been designed primarily with the Siaga in mind and attaching some ofthe collapsable stocks on the market, so it could not be used as a Pistol trunion unless there was a manner to weld a back plate or attach it in a manner to make the rear SGM pistol trunion unusable to attach a stock.

Regarding the use for such a pistol- well,I can think of a good many also - the fun factor is right up there. Most if not all of my firearms are SHTF orientated. The Draco (Which means Dragon in Latin- so one would have a Romanian Dragon Pistol) would be a good carry weapon for a truck or auto, suitcase, small arry bag, back pack, etc - and at the ranges or distances one would typically utilize it from the proximity of a vehicle in a SHTF situation or in or around buildings, then it would be very worthwhile to have. Untill the collapse, or the SHTF,then one can refine the Draco pistol, practice with it, think of appropriate place to hide it or secure it and consider more than one as snacks. Yes, I will be getting one or more, at least that is in my plans at present. In Freedom - From Central Florida..........

I have sniffed around a bit, and since the Draco will have to suffice as a pistol until I get BATFE stuff sorted out, I did end up getting one of those VM-1 sling attachments from Parallax Tactical. Sure, it is a bit pricey for a piece of metal, but since I don't know what I am doing, that will be better than trying to mess around with the trunnion on my own. I also took their advice and got their Condoor Outdoor Cobra one point sling as well. I don't think that VM-1 attachment would interfere with any kind of underfolding stock, but if it did somehow, I could easily remove it. I will have to try to see how the Draco works with the sling while I wait to get on with BATFE paperwork and long waiting periods.

I finally picked up my new Draco today. Here it is with its other Romanian family member, the SAR-1 (yes, I changed the furniture on that SAR-1 some time ago):

gallery_28572_600_450596.jpg

I know, it is not the best picture (I quickly snapped one for now, as the camera's battery was pretty low at the time I took the photograph).

I have seen and heard of Draco pistols with other names. For example, while I was waiting during that period when they call the FBI after I filled out the paperwork, I looked around the shop, and I saw two more Draco pistols on the wall. However, both of them were designated as "Draco-C." As far as I could tell, the only difference between these Dracos and mine was the fact that the Draco-C's appeared to have a different color of pistol grip (just like the one on the SBR Draco with the folding stock I posted earlier). I have also heard of some Draco pistols being designated as the "Draco 80."

Is there any difference between the Draco, the Draco-C, and the Draco 80 (minus the different colored pistol grip I pointed out)? They all appear to be chambered in 7.62X39mm. Why would they change the names? Are they of different batches that were produced at different times?

*EDIT*

I just looked back and remembered what was said about the Draco C, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the trunnions on those or my Draco.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I just looked back and remembered what was said about the Draco C, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the trunnions on those or my Draco.

Look at the guts. If your rear trunnion looks like this, it was built from an underfolder. You can see the notches where the posts from the underfolder would fit into. (the holes on the outside of reciever were never drilled so externally there is no way to tell)

974lr7.jpg

If the rear trunnion is smooth, then it wasnt built from an underfolder.

*edit- By the way, the wood on yours looks a lot nicer than what mine came with.

Edited by PVT Pablo