I don't have a AR rifle so I was thinking an AR-15, .223 cal. would be nice. But then I do have a .223 ca. Mini-14 tactical. So I thought manybe an AR in another cal....22L or .308. .22L = cheap ammo vs. .308 but not as much excitment from plinking .22's. Then I thought, if .308, maybe a Saiga .308. Of course this is a Saiga sight, but whar are some recommendations and why?

Maybe I should just invest in gold at $1,411/oz.

I had the 762x39 7/09 and 545x39 Saiga 03/10.. I also bought a Saiga 308 21" in July-August 2010

I decided after a year I wanted an AR weapon.. I sold the 762 & 545 Saiga and I bought a DPMS LR-308 in November.

I wanted 30 cal perfomance.. I like the Saiga/AK Platform.. I now have the Saiga 308 and DPMS LR-308 :super:

I wanted an AR also.. but I use the go big or go home theory these days.. :lolol: so 223 wasn't considered.

If you go Saiga I'd go for the 762x39 (ammo is at $4-5/box online if you look around).. or the Saiga 308.. (ammo is $7-9/bx for Tula)

I have the Saiga 308 running a scope and getting avg 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards (with Hornady SST ammo).. and the DPMS is out fitted with EoTech for MBR usage..

The DPMS will more than likely shoot smaller than MOA, but I have the setups per 'setup'..so thats how they will stay for now..:rolleyes:

Al

Edited by YWHIC

I would go with the AR-15 in 5.56 because when the SHTF there will be plenty of ammo,mags and parts around. With that said If you dont own a Saiga 12 or and AK rifle then you better get on the ball and get one of these first then get an AR.

As a simple rule of thumb for primary weapons, I have a list of capabilities, not weapons.

Low power, cheap ammo, hunting etc... .22 lr rifle. Everyone needs one.

12guage... Saiga 12 obviously! (ammo availibility, and selection, knockdown power... Sorry 20gauge guys)

Side arm. What you may carry as a daily concealed, or use for home defense. 1911, XD, Glock, SW, etc in a combat chambering... .45acp, .40SW, 9mm.

An all-weather carbine. AK, AR, Kel Tec SU16/PLR16.... OR... an FAL, S308, RFB, H&K/CETME, AR10, Garand, M1A... that can eat cheap ammo and have good reliability if you have to get dirty.

Accurate rifle in medium/hunting power. .308/7.62x54R would seem the most logical. Consider the scope as you consider the rifle, you will spend as much on it as the gun.

If you notice, you can get the two of the last 3 in the same chambering, or not. It can save money, but the ammo you will feed a high quality "sniper" or "Big Game" rifle will not be the same that you dump through the carbine. But it is nice to have the option should ammo get scarce.

And last but definitely not least (expensive) an anti material weapon like a .50BMG. Very long range, very hard hitting, possibly very accurate.

This is the list I work off of, or at least try to. You may need more than one of one type for each family member, but this list would let one man, who knew what he was doing, play in almost any shooting competition. He would also be well equipped for any bi-directional range he found himself on.

Do I have to mention the ammo cost to feed these bastards? Just training and a few friendly matches a month will be as much as a few oz of gold sent into the backstop. But it's cheaper than a lot of habits, ne?

If you want commodity metals, lead and brass can be as lucrative as gold or silver. (But silver has more upside left in the market FWIW)

YMMV

An all-weather carbine. AK, AR, Kel Tec SU16/PLR16.... OR... an FAL, S308, RFB, H&K/CETME, AR10, Garand, M1A... that can eat cheap ammo and have good reliability if you have to get dirty.

The LAR fals can't use Russian 308. They even say it on their site. Also heard similar things about the m14. That its a bad idea to shoot cheap Russian steel case 308.

Why would anyone want to buy a good gun and then throw crap ammo through it is beyond me, anyway.

I think the best 308 platform is the M1A right now. I prefer battle rifles over assault rifles

and carbines. You can take a building with a battle rifle, it was done many times in WWII, but

you can't shoot as far with a carbine.

I mean, I like my AR, it's fun, accurate, and the ammo is cheaper, but I like a longer barrel

and the power of the .308. It's a good round for getting back on target, yet giving good power.

For hunting, I'll step further up than the .308, but that's another discussion.

I like piston driven guns over gas impingement and delayed roller as well.

Everyone has their preferences.

I like the .308. My G3 on the Dan Coonan receiver has been dead reliable since I built it. The ugly truth is, delayed roller blow-back is the most rugged and reliable way to operate a weapon. It has the fewest moving parts, and doesn't require any gas system. H&K treats their non-LEO/military customers like shit, and prices the stuff in the realm of make believe. But, if you want a gun that you can take swimming and shoot without , it won't have a gas system. The H&K 416 is supposed to be good "over the beach" as well. And they love cheap steel case ammo.

It's all about where you are, what you feel like lugging, and what works for you. My issues with the M1A have more to do with parts availability, weight, cost, complexity, and lack of distinct advantage over others. But I still love them. If money was no object, I would build one.

Some people hate the SU16/PLR16. I can't figure out why yet. Mine weighs 3lbs, eats everything, takes AR mags, is piston driven, lifetime warranty, and cost $500.

I through out a ton of options, there are many more I missed.

I would go with the AR-15 in 5.56 because when the SHTF there will be plenty of ammo,mags and parts around. With that said If you dont own a Saiga 12 or and AK rifle then you better get on the ball and get one of these first then get an AR.

The general consensus in the survivalist community seems to be that relying on finding ammo/parts in a SHTF situation is a very bad idea. You should assume that you will have access only to what you have at the moment of SHTF. If the SHTF so fast and hard that there will be ammo lying around for you to find and grab, you might also assume that there will be weapons just lying around too.

• Like 1

PTR-32 Rifle. It's chambered for the 7.62x39 round and takes standard AK-47 magazines. Originally desinged by Heckler & Koch as the HK91 Rifle for .308/7.62.51.

Enough said (IMHO).

Edited by Gary

PTR-32 Rifle. It's chambered for the 7.62x39 round and takes standard AK-74 magazines. Originally desinged by Heckler & Koch as the HK91 Rifle for .308/7.62.51.

Enough said (IMHO).

"Weight: 9.8 lbs"

No offense, but why would get this heavy beast over an SGL21 or something?!? Out of a fetish for German things? I mean, a PTR-91 I get... it makes for a nice DMR with $1 mags, but PTR-31, IMO, is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Same with that announced Sig 7.62x39 mm...

EDIT: For reference, an SGL21 weighs 7.3 lbs

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

The M1A is not complex. I'd suggest examining the browning automatic rifle short piston

system if you want something with a lot of parts. (Like 26, in field stripped condition,

as per my FNAR)

In fact, if you count the firing pin spring as a part, and both roller bearings as parts

the HK roller recoil action has one more moving part than the M1A piston system. Also

I think my HK91 is heavier than my M1A.

Now, cleaning the HK is quicker, but the HK gets dirtier than the M1A, so it's a draw.

My main complaint about the delayed roller recoil action is that it dents the brass and

sends them into whatever the next county happens to be on your right, although it is a good

action.

Either an M1A or some cloned G3 design, whether it be CETME or PTR would be fine. I'd stay

away from chambering in 7.62x39. It's one thing to have it in a rifle designed for it from step

one and one that is historically appropriate, but putting it in a German derived rifle is just

stupid, both from a view of ballistics, and historical perspective.

Edit: Heavier rifles often shoot more accurately. I don't notice an extra pound unless I'm carrying it

five miles or so.

Edited by Kliegl

"Weight: 9.8 lbs"

No offense, but why would get this heavy beast over an SGL21 or something?!? Out of a fetish for German things? I mean, a PTR-91 I get... it makes for a nice DMR with $1 mags, but PTR-32, IMO, is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Same with that announced Sig 7.62x39 mm...

EDIT: For reference, an SGL21 weighs 7.3 lbs

No offense taken ;).

Yep, the PTR-32 isn't light compared to other 16" barreled carbines. . . but what are ya, a pansy??? :lol: (just kidding; no offense intended). It has a heavier/thicker than standard barrel which in a small part is from where the weight is derived, but that thicker barrel allegedly provides for better accuracy.

Yep, pretty much a fetish for superlative German engineered things. :P

IMO you've got it all wrong regarding ". . .is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist" (but of course you're entitled to your opinion, regardless as to how wrong you may be). I propose that few things could be better than a rifle that shoots the comparatively inexpensive 7.62x39 round and takes the prolific AK-47 magazine, but was designed and engineered around the x51 cartridge.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

Thanks, all feedback is giving me food for thought. Gun show coming up in 2 weeks. I think I like the idea of a larger cal gun since I don't have one. The Saiga .308 is priced good (I guess around $450.00) but then by the time I convert it and dress it up, I've got at least $800.00 in it. I can get a DPMS custom built in .308 for around $1,000 which is also a good deal I think. And either of these deserves decent optics so I'll have to research that a bit also.

Edited by super jim

I would go with the AR-15 in 5.56 because when the SHTF there will be plenty of ammo,mags and parts around.

Positively laying all over the place. Just walking down the street, you will trip over AR mags in SHTF. ;-)

I don't believe that we will experience any sort of SHTF so bad that rifles are able to be carried openly, much less will the situation will such that our weapons, ammos and parts will be so worn out/expended that we will have to scavenge for replacements. HOWEVER, I realize that although really ugly SHTF scenarios are unlikely, they are not impossible. So I aim to stock up all that I might need and don't count on procuring things from others.

• Like 1

super jim..

Mine was $996 from Nelson Tactical.. with A3 and 16" Hvy bbl. w/4 position stock..

post-8775-0-74894400-1294014197_thumb.jpg

Come like this though for $996..

post-8775-0-71695300-1294014251_thumb.jpg

I had mine in-hand in 3 days..

Al

Hi Al,

Nice looking setup.

How are you finding reliability so far? The AR in 308 does not have a great reputation in that regard.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim_Digriz..

well I got 220 rounds thru her.. in just 2 outings..

used remington Corelokt, Hornady SST & TAP, and Tula 150gr FMJ.. (about 160 rounds of just that)..

ZERO problems..

I had heard the DPMS factory mags stunk.. I sold them for $45 and bought these PMags SR-20's for $28/each as they are NJ compliant (aka 15 rounds) which is where I shoot 99% of the time..

I grabbed the older EoTech 552 from Ebay for $150 and the other stuff new.. got about $1500 into it..

I have 500 rounds of ammo here to feed her if the need arises over the winter.. :lolol:

Darn range closed today.. so that and my Saiga and my EZ9 have to wait.. :cryss:

Al

Jim_Digriz..

well I got 220 rounds thru her.. in just 2 outings..

used remington Corelokt, Hornady SST & TAP, and Tula 150gr FMJ.. (about 160 rounds of just that)..

ZERO problems..

I had heard the DPMS factory mags stunk.. I sold them for $45 and bought these PMags SR-20's for $28/each as they are NJ compliant (aka 15 rounds) which is where I shoot 99% of the time..

I grabbed the older EoTech 552 from Ebay for $150 and the other stuff new.. got about $1500 into it..

I have 500 rounds of ammo here to feed her if the need arises over the winter.. :lolol:

Darn range closed today.. so that and my Saiga and my EZ9 have to wait.. :cryss:

Al

Thanks Al. I'll be interested to hear any further reports on the matter. Have you fired it yet with the EOTech? I'm curious how well you can do with an AR and a 1 MOA dot.

for any serious work there is only one rifle. FAL in .308. they will take serious abuse, are piston driven,easy to clean, and still easy to get parts for.

I have 4, all are rebuilds from kit guns on semi-auto recievers. they range from like new to the truck beater gun thats had over 3000 rds put through it since rebuild.

if i want to shoot poodles its .223, if i want to deal with 2 legged vermin past 300 yds in a SHTF scenario thens its a FAL rifle in .308

I'm in the same boat as you man.. trying to figure out what my upcoming gun purchase will be. Don't really need anything in particular.. got a couple hunting rifles, an AR, AK's, & 12 gauges so I'm pretty well covered.

I've been considering something in .308 though, don't own anything in that caliber.

I'd say, if you want a .308, take into consideration the money you have to spend on it and what you want to do with it.

If you're going to feed it the cheapest .308 possible, the saiga might be the way to go.

If you want something more accurate to shoot more expensive loads out of.. an AR-10 with a 20" heavy barrel and good scope might be the way to go if you want to stay with semi-auto.

Or you could go with a Remington 700 if you want a good bolt action.

Bad news. I have to hit the brakes on this idea for now. My wife lost her job today. We thought it might happen due to an aquisition of her former company. She was the financial/accounting manager and the new company will handle all the accounting in their home office in Knoxville, TN. So, she's looking for a new job in the Charlotte, NC or Rock Hill, SC area. I know I'm bias, but a company could not find a more dedicated and honester employee than her.