little background: i work at as a mechanic at car dealership that just changed owners... basically everybody in the back (i.e. mechanics, service writers) are the same and all the salesman and office people are from the new company. When im at work, i dont have anybody at home there to receive packages from UPS or FedEx so i always had them shipped to my work (the old owners) and it was never an issue. well fast forward a few months and i finally saved up to order a new stock and grip for my X39 from Greg at CSS (best vendor ever!!!!) and thinking nothing of it i had it shipped to work. well this morning i get a instant message on my PC from the front office telling me to "come up now, your gun is here"?!?!?! now first of all i live in IL so the thought of having a gun anywhere but inside a safe is unheard of for most people, not to mention im also not an FFL so obviously its not a gun. then as im walking up i finally realize, HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH A GUN????? so i get to the office and the store manager and office manager are there and start to ask me rhetorical questions like "are you stupid" "you know you can get fired for this" "you cold be arrested" "this is dangerous" "we are liable if anybody gets hurt". i bring up the fact that all it was, was just a grip to a rifle and a stock, it could be for a power drill for all they know... its no more dangerous than a stick the same shape.... they werent having it at all. then i ask them why they decided to open my mail in the first place. they claimed its their right as an employer because they have to make sure its not drugs or something else illegal "like this"... and i was like illegal?!?!?1 nothing about this stuff is illegal! so they claimed thy were gonna check on it and if it is they are going to suggest to the owner that i be terminated. well im fairly confident that i wont be fired but still it looks bad and is grounds for future terminations so im extremely pissed off! so what do you think about them opening my mail? is that even legal?

cliffs: new boss opens my mail addressed to my work address, thinks its illegal "gun parts", threatens to fire me, im pissed because i dont think its legal to open other peoples mail, etc...

Actually anything that goes to your home and is opened by a person is a federal crime. Now as far as your package to a business address that you do not own, then it belongs to the company, and they do have the right to open it even if it is addressed to you....

• Like 1

Well you do expect everyone to know the difference? If you know the owner at all I would go and speak to him or her and apologize and explain... Hey who knows he may be a gun freak as well...

As far as calling you names they also violated the law, I would make a note that on this day so and so called me this or that with a date & time that it occurred.....

Let us know what happens......

Edited by 308saiga

not a bad idea about that... im sure that would be good ammo for the EEOC if that situation came up. I already apologized and explained that they arent a "gun" or anything like that and im definetly going to be shipping my parts elsewhere now. just sucks that im gonna have to pay for shipping and have to go to the post office thats nowhere near my house to get stuff.... kinda makes it a PITA.

You should have asked for prior approval to have a personal package delivered to somebody elses business. That way if they had some type of policy regarding that, you would know right up front if it would be OK. Pressuming that because your former employer was cool with it, that the new employer would be was a little foolish. While not exactly a weapon, they have a total right to know what is being delivered to their property.

I'm sorry to hear it. I get shipments of ammo and parts kits (sig required) at my work all the time and it's a running joke whether it's ticking or not when the UPS guy shows up. Funny how working with a bunch of liberals can sometimes be... well, liberal in the original sense of the word.

Unfortunately, if you receive it at work you must adhere to whatever employment rules they hand out. Even if you have a carry permit, some places won't allow you to store your gun in your car in the parking lot much less wear it CC on the job. Their property, their rules.

My response would be, "Sorry, you didn't post rules saying this was unacceptable under new management and it's perfectly legal otherwise. I'll certainly be careful not to violate company policy in the future, by the way can you show me the handbook so I can read up on it?"

• Like 1

Dude.....that frigg'n sucks! I also work at a dealership but its completely different atmosphere. I carry at work. The head mechanic carries and has a single shot, break open 12G shotty leaning up against his tool box. I constantly order ammo to my work address and when im out people sign for me. Infact the other week I was walking out with a large box of 12G shells when my boss asks me why I need so much ammo when he never sees me shot! My reply, "what do you want me to do? Shot in here?"

You should have grabbed a screwdriver, stabbed the doucshe (sp?) In the eye and then as "what degenerate brought this weapon in here?!?!"

I kid, I kid! But that screwdriver is just as dangerous as that stock or grip!

Fucking idiots!

Edited by Arik

i actually did have some packages sent before with the new owners, but it was non-eventful, because they were just t-shirts in clear bags, guess thats why they didnt open them and i thought it would be ok to keep using them for shipments. i didnt realize they would open it, i figured worst case they they would ask what it was and they might ask me to not have that kind of stuff shipped there. like i would never have ammo shipped to work because i understand that might make people nervous, i just dont see the danger or fear of a bag of springs and a metal bar with a piece of rubber on the end of it. i guess it just shows the ignorance of the uninformed. they have to cater to the pussies that get offended by anything that slightly resembles a weapon. kinda reminds me of those kids getting expelled from school for having plastic flatware in their lunchboxes...

haha thats a good idea, and to be honest all this gun stuff aside, how do i prove that nobody is stealing my stuff when they open my packages? i mean lets say i ordered an expensive baseball card or some jewelrey for the GF.... how do i know its not getting ripped off and they areent just not telling me i have a package

A lot businesses get uneasy when things of those nature start to show up, especially the kind against guns! I shared office space at a computer company early on when I started Chaos, I was walking down the hall to my office and racked the bolt open as I was entering my office, the computer office people freaked, people got under their desk. Sometimes we forget how freaked out others are by guns or anything related to them!

• Like 1

Get with Greg, have him invoice you for the most expensive part he sells and ask the [erson that opened the box where the frack it is :)

Wouldn't make a difference, a companies not responsible for your merchandise when its mail to their address, especially since you had it sent there. Best thing is to just not send it there!

• Like 1

This reminds me of a story, very similar.... I was not working for this company anymore, but a good friend of mine, who was the managing director of JP M Chase told me a package was received by his department and it looked like it was a turkey, his employee who received it and since it looked strange the way it was packaged took it to him... He in front of her started to open it, once he got a peek inside he told her to leave his office, which she did, he called the police and of course everyone is looking at him and the police in the office and could not figure out what was going on.... So the police opened the package and sure enough there was about 5-6 kilos of marijuana inside.... LOL

Of course I asked him if he had taken some for me, and he said he did not have a chance to do so and apologized for it LOL.....

It was mistakenly delivered to his department and the mail clerk was arrested for it, I think he was high at the time... True story........

little background: i work at as a mechanic at car dealership that just changed owners... basically everybody in the back (i.e. mechanics, service writers) are the same and all the salesman and office people are from the new company. When im at work, i dont have anybody at home there to receive packages from UPS or FedEx so i always had them shipped to my work (the old owners) and it was never an issue. well fast forward a few months and i finally saved up to order a new stock and grip for my X39 from Greg at CSS (best vendor ever!!!!) and thinking nothing of it i had it shipped to work. well this morning i get a instant message on my PC from the front office telling me to "come up now, your gun is here"?!?!?! now first of all i live in IL so the thought of having a gun anywhere but inside a safe is unheard of for most people, not to mention im also not an FFL so obviously its not a gun. then as im walking up i finally realize, HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH A GUN????? so i get to the office and the store manager and office manager are there and start to ask me rhetorical questions like "are you stupid" "you know you can get fired for this" "you cold be arrested" "this is dangerous" "we are liable if anybody gets hurt". i bring up the fact that all it was, was just a grip to a rifle and a stock, it could be for a power drill for all they know... its no more dangerous than a stick the same shape.... they werent having it at all. then i ask them why they decided to open my mail in the first place. they claimed its their right as an employer because they have to make sure its not drugs or something else illegal "like this"... and i was like illegal?!?!?1 nothing about this stuff is illegal! so they claimed thy were gonna check on it and if it is they are going to suggest to the owner that i be terminated. well im fairly confident that i wont be fired but still it looks bad and is grounds for future terminations so im extremely pissed off! so what do you think about them opening my mail? is that even legal?

cliffs: new boss opens my mail addressed to my work address, thinks its illegal "gun parts", threatens to fire me, im pissed because i dont think its legal to open other peoples mail, etc...

Guess what? I'm a sevice tech in a auto dealer, I get things shipped to me all the time. If it's for me personally, I always give the company a heads up and make sure it's ok before I have it shipped. It's just the right thing to do. Luckily all the manager's are shooter's too. But it's still bad form to use the company for your personal deal's without their permission.

And for your question's?

"so what do you think about them opening my mail? is that even legal?"

It depend's on who the package was adressed to? And with an avitar like your's, it's hilarious your bitchin about other people opening your mail! :lolol:

SERIOUSLY, I hope you dont get in any trouble, just get it ok'd next time.

They allowed the previous shipments without comment, as had been the company policy under the former owners. He was not informed of any change, and they had agreed to continue when they said nothing about the t-shirts.

If they fire you, YOU might be the new owner of that dealership.

I would just not say anything more. They can't fire you and they know it. Don't have anything more sent there. If they say anything more about your stock and grip being a "gun", just hold up a gear shift knob and a steering wheel and tell them that is your "car". :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Get with Greg, have him invoice you for the most expensive part he sells and ask the [erson that opened the box where the frack it is :)

Wouldn't make a difference, a companies not responsible for your merchandise when its mail to their address, especially since you had it sent there. Best thing is to just not send it there!

Still funny though.

I would just not say anything more. They can't fire you and they know it. Don't have anything more sent there. If they say anything more about your stock and grip being a "gun", just hold up a gear shift knob and a steering wheel and tell them that is your "car". :rolleyes:

I think all joking aside that this will be my course of action

• Like 2