Howdy folks, well I just got word that I'm to report to MEPS this monday for the Coast Guard. I'm a bit nervous as I've obviously never done this before. Any body got any words of advice or stories for me? I've been reading a few pointers (like bring a book and don't be drunk but it would be nice to get some more relevant info.

Thanks!

Drink lots of water the night before and that morning. You'll have to provide a urine sample on their time, not yours, so you want to be ready for that. Generally keep your mouth shut, as any extra information you mention can and will be used against you. :)

Yep... I did love the duck walk.

Also, one of their tests are going to be to have you squat, then drop quickly on your knees while they watch to see if you grimace (indicating knee issues).

But all in all, you wait, then you get hearded in with a group & taken through the whole process.

You'll likely be one of the only coasties in the group.

I don't know about the book though. When I went through, I never got bored with people watching, talikng to other recruits, or noticing that the tallest white people I've ever seen seem to wearing army or marine uniforms...

Then again, I had just turned 17, & it was a very interesting time for me.

Anyhow, Good luck!

& thanks for having the balls to sign up! :super:

Howdy folks, well I just got word that I'm to report to MEPS this monday for the Coast Guard. I'm a bit nervous as I've obviously never done this before. Any body got any words of advice or stories for me? I've been reading a few pointers (like bring a book and don't be drunk but it would be nice to get some more relevant info.

Thanks!

I don't know what your religious beliefs are but the oath they make you take has no expiration date and no limitation to bureaucratic authority and long after your contract expires you will have sworn an oath to defend the constitution and obey the POTUS.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Ill tell you this as far as MEPS. In the hotel the night before, the girls will want to fuck like animals. Take advantage of this.

Good luck

But get sleep too.

At least in Navy bootcamp, which is easier than army & MUCH easier than marines, they keep you on about an hour or 2 of sleep the first several days, then after about a week of that shit, you feel like 4 hours is a "good night's sleep".

ETA:

Oh, & When you get to bootcamp...

Just remember...

Those tests that they tell you have no wrong answers, are the most important tests to pass.

Edited by Paulyski

Focus on what IS important to you for the long-term. Testing well and responding to questions with clearly understandablwe answers can have a real impact on your career choices over the term of enlistment.

A blowout the night before is about as smart as a batchlor party the night before a wedding... :cryss: It may have very long range negative results.

Stay alert, don't be first to do anything...but don't be last either. Look into the job (MOS) choices available to someone with your background and education...and think about what YOU want from the military, as well as what you can do.

Good luck from someone who went into the Army at 17, right after high school and survived. I have two sons in the army, one with 18 years in , a warrant officer, who loves his single status and the perks of a senior G I. My other son suffered two lay-offs in the poor economy and --at age 35-- went thru Bascic and OCS and is now a 2nd LT (ARMOR) with one year in as of this week. I can't imagine how I would have survived Basic at age 35 , surrouded by 20 year old Corporals everywhere yelling at me!! He seems satisfied that he made good choices though.

Hang in there. If you stay alert to your surroundings, you'll do well. :super:

I'll respectfully disagree with Lupo and side with Major Al here: don't start off on the wrong foot. Also, I know the Coast Guard handles assignments and ratings a little differently from any other service: you may be undesignated for two years and THEN go to a school which you qualify for.

Again, you'll do fine. Stay calm, focused and collected. Serve with honor, and you'll have no regrets.

I'll respectfully disagree with Lupo and side with Major Al here: don't start off on the wrong foot. Also, I know the Coast Guard handles assignments and ratings a little differently from any other service: you may be undesignated for two years and THEN go to a school which you qualify for.

Again, you'll do fine. Stay calm, focused and collected. Serve with honor, and you'll have no regrets.

Don't worry, while the possibility of a bunch of girls sounds nice, I'm doing this for my future and thats the most important thing. I go in 3 days so once all is said and done I'll update on the progress.