Small burrs from drilling gas ports

I've been using this site as a how to guide to do my conversion. (Thanks, all you pioneers!)

I pulled the gas blocks and found 3 holes that were tight on a 1/16 bit when inserted by hand. Possibly good for a 24" barrel, but I am cutting to 18.5" and everything I found said 3 ports at 3/32 was the way to go.

So I went! Piece of cake, went slow and followed the original angle.

Now I have some small, but sharp burrs in the barrel. Any ideas on removing them?

I appreciate the help!

So close to being done! Just need to press the barrel off, cut and send it out for threading for rem-chokes.

The wait is the hardest part!

Thanks

Vince

I always go very slowly on a drill press, so I haven't had that issue, but put a bore brush, like a tornado brush on a cleaning rod on your drill & it should clean them up.

A 3/32 mill bit would be the key to avoiding that.

If you have a set of small Dremel bits, you could use a ball shaped one if you have one small enough to fit thru the 3/32 hole. Also, sometimes burrs are holding on by a very small amount of metal, and you can shave them off with an exacto knife, you know like a really pointy one that can reach thru the hole.

i used the barrel shaped grindin rocks for a dremel, a little duct tape around the end of the bit and screw it into a cleaning rod. attached it to a drill and run it back and forth over the holes on high speed. Its really low tech and cheap but it worked great for me. i tried a cleaning brush and that just wasnt taking the burrs off.

Hello,

I reload so I used a wad for a shot shell. It fits the bore to an exact fit.

Yes,

It is soft but it grabbed onto the shavings from drilling and pushed them out.

Run a shot gun barrel brush wrapped in a patch cut from an old T-shirt. Put several drops of oil on it and run it through the barrel a few times.

Make absolutely sure the barrel is clean before you fire that shot gun.

Steel shavings will show NO MERCY to your barrel.

Best

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

Thanks for all the tips! I needed more coffee today, I looked at "bead blast" and was scratching my head for about 5 minutes, before it sank in!:lolol:

That's my current plan is to shoot the heck out of it, and go from there.

I did find out today the shop doing my choke will all be at SHOT. I won't get to run this thing until early Feb at the soonest!:cryss:

Thanks

VInce