Which folding stock for S12?

I think the ComBloc AK-100 style polymer folder is the best. It is arguably the hardest to install, but it looks the best, shoulders the best and is awesome, at least to my mind. I had Troy at InRange put one I got from KVar on my Saiga-12, it is great. You end up with a copy, more or less, of the factory model 12C.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a push button mechanism that I removed due to wiggle.

I was about to make a post on this subject.

But first....

I'm 6'0" medium build and I'm looking for a stock that will fit me well. I've learned to not ask "What is the best folding stock" when I did an MP5 because it's objective. To a smaller guy the collapsible A3 works well, for me I'll take the A2 any day of the week, I may like the A3-French but who knows? So, what I'm looking for is what folding stock are people liking for Stock and HK sights?

I like the look of the SVD-Folder with the cheek riser a lot. But, the 100series stock looks decent and I suspect is a quality part.

I'm looking for a quality folder that locks up tight (important) and feels good. I'm also looking for one that would allow a decent recoil pad or limbsaver.

Also, when people say Push Button folder, what is a non-push button do? How does that work? Difference?

Any advice?

From what I have gathered:

The 100series is more difficult to do (not scared of removing the trunnion).

The SVDS is expensive and difficult to find.

The Tromix is my least favorite look but appears to be quality and would be the easiest install.

I'm leaning 100 series. Do they lock up tight?

Edited by NewSaigaFan

I agree that the 100 series poly folder is probably "the best", but as was mentioned, everything is subjective and what one person likes, another may not. I usually run a short ACE stock (7.5" long) with a receiver block and non-push button folding mechanism and a thicker butt pad. Everything puts the overall length of the stock back to normal for me. It's a tad longer than Warsaw length, but not quite NATO length. Feels great and is rock solid.

The folding mechanisms come in push button and non-push button, though I haven't seen many push button ones for sale lately. I've never owned a push button model, but I've heard several folks on this and other forums say that it can get loose after a while, where the non-push button model does not.

I agree that the 100 series poly folder is probably "the best", but as was mentioned, everything is subjective and what one person likes, another may not. I usually run a short ACE stock (7.5" long) with a receiver block and non-push button folding mechanism and a thicker butt pad. Everything puts the overall length of the stock back to normal for me. It's a tad longer than Warsaw length, but not quite NATO length. Feels great and is rock solid.

The folding mechanisms come in push button and non-push button, though I haven't seen many push button ones for sale lately. I've never owned a push button model, but I've heard several folks on this and other forums say that it can get loose after a while, where the non-push button model does not.

Maybe a dumb question, but how does a non-psuh button work? Lever? Slide? Some other button?

Oh, I meant Subjective ;)

Maybe a dumb question, but how does a non-psuh button work? Lever? Slide? Some other button?

Oh, I meant Subjective ;)

He is talking about the two offerings from Ace

Push button

343591.jpg

Non push button

925386.jpg

looking for a nice folding stock. I've seen a lot on other guns that were sloppy and didn't lock tight. Any suggestions?

I’d go with a regular ace folding mech (not the push button). As for the stock it depends what you like. There is a huge selection of stocks that can be attached to it, just look around and see what catches your eye.

Personally I run a Tromix Competition Stock with a regular ace folder on mine, but you can’t get those anymore. :haha:

Edited by Gun Fanatic

Unless you have a mill and all the tools to press the rivets this is not a dremel type mod. Kvar sells the whole 5.5 side folder kit for $250 I think the two stocks are interchangeable but you need a different latch for the SVDS.

Yea, I have a mill and all sorts of airplane rivet tools. I could use a tutorial just to get the basic idea though. I'll look around for a template or dxf of what the hole on the ejection side needs to look like / be positioned.

Thanks for the confirmation on the 5.5, I thought that was the version I would need. Also good to know the basic work is the same for the SVD-S in case I wanted to go that route. It's actually fairly nice a lot of the AK stuff is interchangeable. I mean, AR is but I expect that. With so many AK variants by difference countries I figured that might get lost somewhere.

It doesn't seem like it, but is it worth sending this off to a shop? I'd actually like HK sights as well, but don't want to do that myself (concerned about them lining up / wind/ele errors). Who would be appropriate (good work, low leadtime, reasonable price) to call for this work?