308 dinging cases

From the get go my saiga 308 has put a small ding in the case upon ejection and I haven't been able to figure out how it is happening. Anyone else had/have this problem and if so have you come up with a solution. I would like to reload the brass and so far none of the cases have gone unscaved.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Don

It's just from it dinging off the dust cover when it ejects, it doesn't hurt it being reloaded because it'll just form back out but ding again if you shoot it in only your Saiga. You might be able to put a bit of electrical tape or something on the dust cover and see if that softens the blow any to the brass if you wanna try to make the dents smaller or see if it makes it go away. It's just one of those things that happens with this pattern of rifle.

From the get go my saiga 308 has put a small ding in the case upon ejection and I haven't been able to figure out how it is happening. Anyone else had/have this problem and if so have you come up with a solution. I would like to reload the brass and so far none of the cases have gone unscaved.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Don

Since you did not say where exactly it was dinging and you supplied no pics, let me take a stab at it... If it is dinging at the mouth of the case it has already been explained. Now if it is dinging at the neck or shoulder of the case your problem is the 3rd lug on the bolt, every time a case is ejected the lug hits the case which causes the dings...

3rd lug:

saigabolt1.jpg

3rd Lug Fix:

saigabolt2.jpg

Do NOT do this to your .308 bolt. A little polishing is okay on the third lug, but removing it is dangerous because of the pressures the .308 generates.

Interesting, I have not had any problems with my 308 after I did this fix. According to some here this was originally forgotten to be ground down at the factory.....

Do NOT do this to your .308 bolt. A little polishing is okay on the third lug, but removing it is dangerous because of the pressures the .308 generates.

Interesting, I have not had any problems with my 308 after I did this fix. According to some here this was originally forgotten to be ground down at the factory.....

There was a machining step missed on some of the .308 bolts third lug. It did not include completely removing it. If your .308 is dinging the rounds on the left of the magazine, this is your problem. Removing that lug completely is dangerous as hell.

My problem was that it was denting the neck or shoulder of the case damaging the case completely...... I removed little by little until it stopped, it still dings the case but it is minimal now..... I checked the AK47 bolts and it now looks like it.....

It's just from it dinging off the dust cover when it ejects, it doesn't hurt it being reloaded because it'll just form back out but ding again if you shoot it in only your Saiga. You might be able to put a bit of electrical tape or something on the dust cover and see if that softens the blow any to the brass if you wanna try to make the dents smaller or see if it makes it go away. It's just one of those things that happens with this pattern of rifle.

I would say you probably nailed it. I have attached a picture of 3 of the cases for closer examination.

Thanks for the feed back guys. Does this look familiar?

Donpost-5414-0-86825700-1294796436_thumb.jpg

Edited by brokenfeather

There was a machining step missed on some of the .308 bolts third lug. It did not include completely removing it. If your .308 is dinging the rounds on the left of the magazine, this is your problem. Removing that lug completely is dangerous as hell.

OK so you had me worried and I double checked this, I pulled off the receiver cover, spring, bolt carrier and bolt, I removed the bolt from the carrier and installed the bolt on the rails, I slid it to the chamber and it "locked" in place and would not move... I'll have to take it back out to the range to test fire it again.....

From the photos the OP posted it looks like this is hitting the feed ramp, so when the bolt closes it shoves the round into the ramp and makes that mark......

OK so you had me worried and I double checked this, I pulled off the receiver cover, spring, bolt carrier and bolt, I removed the bolt from the carrier and installed the bolt on the rails, I slid it to the chamber and it "locked" in place and would not move... I'll have to take it back out to the range to test fire it again.....

From the photos the OP posted it looks like this is hitting the feed ramp, so when the bolt closes it shoves the round into the ramp and makes that mark......

It locked in using the remaining 2 lugs, that bolt is weaker by 1/3 than it should be. It is garbage as far as I am concerned, please take precautions not to take the infamous bolt to the brain.

It locked in using the remaining 2 lugs, that bolt is weaker by 1/3 than it should be. It is garbage as far as I am concerned, please take precautions not to take the infamous bolt to the brain.

I see what you are saying, I took a closer look and saw that there is nothing locking that lug in place. Honestly though it would be impossible for the actual bolt to fly out as you said, because it installs onto the bolt carrier and that would have to have a major catastrophic failure to get a bolt in the face.....

Thanks for the heads up it is appreciated, now this said and explained, how does one fix the ding on the neck of the case without doing what I did, if this is not correct? Also why do the AK bolts not have the 3rd lug? Thanks again...

I see what you are saying, I took a closer look and saw that there is nothing locking that lug in place. Honestly though it would be impossible for the actual bolt to fly out as you said, because it installs onto the bolt carrier and that would have to have a major catastrophic failure to get a bolt in the face.....

Thanks for the heads up it is appreciated, now this said and explained, how does one fix the ding on the neck of the case without doing what I did, if this is not correct? Also why do the AK bolts not have the 3rd lug? Thanks again...

The 7.62 X 39 round just doesn't generate the pressures the .308 does. It is possible to re-profile that third lug while keeping the face where it locks intact. There are pictures on this forum SOMEWHERE on how to do it, but I have been unsuccessful finding them. I used them to do mine way back in the day, but can't find them again.

I would be VERY leery of that bolt in my gun.