Magazine advice for a newb

I was wondering if I might get some feedback on 30 rounders for the Saiga with a bullet guide.

I've read that the Bulgarian Circle 10s are really nice but K-Var is out of the black ones and the OD are $30 a pop. Should I pick up a few of the OD Circle 10s anyway? ETA: since K-VAR is a forum sponsor, here is a link to the magazines in question: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16843&cat=419&page=1

I was also wondering about Eastern block surplus mags. AIM has generic Eastern Bloc surplus mags for $10 each and Palmetto State Armory has unissued Yugos for $13.

Should I stay away from Korean manufactured mags?

It is a shame AIM is sold out of the Bulgarian ones for $9!

Thanks for your help!!! I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find a good summary on mag types.

Edited by physicsnerd

Try Copes or Centerfire Systems..

Al

It is funny that you mentioned Cope's and Centerfire. I checked them previously and they also have generic Eastern Bloc mags in the $10-ish range similar to the offerings from AIM. Cope's did have Circle 10 40 rounders but they are $42 a piece.

If you had a choice between generic Easter Bloc mags and Yugo mags specifically which ones would you choose and why? Thanks!

I don't have a 7.62 Saiga, but in my Romanian, I run steel Yugo mags with the BHO follower. I never had any problems at all with standards steel surplus mags, but I like the BHO feature on the Yugo's.

For go-to mags, I prefer new mags over surplus ones. There is no way of knowing how used your surplus mag is, or when it will reach its failure point. (And I have had a surplus mag fail on me). My recommendation is to buy at least four of the brand new Circle 10 mags, and then whatever other quality mags (including surplus ones) you can afford.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.

I tried to call Palmetto State Armory (PSA) but they said "due to high call and email volume we're not taking any calls at this time, please email us at info@palmettostatearmory.com"

So I am going to try that.

I may pick up a few Circle 10s and a few Yugos from PSA since they're unissued and thus I am not concerned about prior wear. Or just the Yugos. I can get 6 surplus or Yugo mags for well less than 3 Circle 10s.

Edited by physicsnerd

While I am a big fan of Circle 10's, the steel com-bloc ones are fine too. Here is my advantage grid:

Circle 10's: Advantages - corrosion resistance and excellent durability

Disadvantages - Price

New Bulgarian (AIM & Copes): Advantages - low price, lightweight, no cosmoline, no nicks or dings

Disadvantages - Seemingly Thinner steel

Surplus Yugo, Hungarian, Romanian etc.: Advantages - low price, sturdy

Disadvantages - thick in cosmoline and nicks, dings & rust may still have developed on these if bought sight unseen.

Yugos have the advantage of the last round bolt hold open follower which may weigh on your decision if you desire that.

Stay away from US Made steel magazines.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Got an email from Joe at Palmetto State. The Yugos he has in stock do not have the LRBHO follower but have never been used so I felt fine about ordering them.

Can you just replace the spring in your old mags? I have a hard time believing that a steel body would wear out so quickly.

Got an email from Joe at Palmetto State. The Yugos he has in stock do not have the LRBHO follower but have never been used so I felt fine about ordering them.

Can you just replace the spring in your old mags? I have a hard time believing that a steel body would wear out so quickly.

Yes you can absolutely replace the spring. But I have never found springs cheap enough to justify it. You can usually just buy a new mag for cheaper.

I do keep spare parts from failed mags. For example I bent the lip on one mag and just took the pring and other parts and saved them.

From what i understand then, those are not real Yugo mags. Sportsmans Guide did the same thing with their advertisement.

From what i understand then, those are not real Yugo mags. Sportsmans Guide did the same thing with their advertisement.

Hmmmm, I'll have to check them out when I get a chance. I'm not concerned as they're essentially new and not expensive.

No better or worse than the those $9 Bulgy mags AIM was selling?

Hmmmm, I'll have to check them out when I get a chance. I'm not concerned as they're essentially new and not expensive.

No better or worse than the those $9 Bulgy mags AIM was selling?

I think they are Chinese mags that were imported and never used in Yugoslavia. Check out Cope's Listing for Chinese AK-47 Magazines:

AK-47 30rnd. Magazine. Excellent Condition, Holds 30rnds. Flat Back (No Rib on the Back Spine) These are Chinese magazines that came out of Yugoslavia. These are Pre-Ban Magazines.

They should work just fine. Same price at Cope's - $12.99.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

I think they are Chinese mags that were imported and never used in Yugoslavia. Check out Cope's Listing for Chinese AK-47 Magazines:

AK-47 30rnd. Magazine. Excellent Condition, Holds 30rnds. Flat Back (No Rib on the Back Spine) These are Chinese magazines that came out of Yugoslavia. These are Pre-Ban Magazines.

They should work just fine. Same price at Cope's - $12.99.

I saw that as well and wondered if that was true of the PSA mags but the Chinese ones from Cope's got great reviews. Being new to the whole AK rifle thing I try to be cautious and careful to try and "buy once." I'm not overly concerned about from where the mags come as long as they're good mags. :)

If the magazines only have TWO ribs at the bottom they are either Chinese or Yugo. If they do not have the spine up the back they are definitely Chinese. If the follower is flat on the back with a solid plate on the back as well, they are definitely Yugo. You can take any steel magazine, flatten the dimples out of it, and use a correct follower to make a BHO mag, but Yugo's can be found for cheap enough to not worry about replacing followers to make them.

Chalk another one up for Yugo mags. I don't really need the LRHBO feature, but since it's there, it's there. They're tough and sturdy, and it's best to buy them while being able to inspect them. I have a few Korean 40 rounders, with a ridiculously shiny finish, but they've held up amazing as well.