Whats the difference between a Legion and a RAA Saiga?

I posted this question in the "Dimples?" sticky, but have not seen any replies yet. I was just curious because I spoke with Tom Cole about some warranty work (canted FSB), but since its not a RAA Saiga, its not covered. But he told me that I have a "Very rare gun". Whats so special about Legions? It looks the same to me aside from the dimples and no chamber step. It also had the PG hole already cut027.gifThanks in advance to anyone that has any info. 032.gif

I posted this question in the "Dimples?" sticky, but have not seen any replies yet. I was just curious because I spoke with Tom Cole about some warranty work (canted FSB), but since its not a RAA Saiga, its not covered. But he told me that I have a "Very rare gun". Whats so special about Legions? It looks the same to me aside from the dimples and no chamber step. It also had the PG hole already cut027.gifThanks in advance to anyone that has any info. 032.gif

Was this one of the rifles imported by Mercury Hermes with the RAA info etched out? If so that would explain why it is not covered as the warranty contract was between Cadiz and RAA. You would have to contact Mercury Hermes and see if they have anyone contracted to do warranty work.

I think you pretty much got it covered for the most part. Additionally, the Legion guns don't have the rivets for the FCG like the RAA ones do. I think the RAA are considered more of a civilian type gun, while the Legions are more closer to what is issued to the Russian military. Other than that, they are pretty much the same as far as I know.

I think you pretty much got it covered for the most part. Additionally, the Legion guns don't have the rivets for the FCG like the RAA ones do. I think the RAA are considered more of a civilian type gun, while the Legions are more closer to what is issued to the Russian military. Other than that, they are pretty much the same as far as I know.

Which rivets are you talking about, the sporter FCG rivets?

The Legions also have a dust cover with a stamped lower section (for lack of terminology), for a tighter fit to the receiver.

Gonzo, where'd you get your Legion iz132?

Edited by Mullet Man

Which rivets are you talking about, the sporter FCG rivets?

The Legions also have a dust cover with a stamped lower section (for lack of terminology), for a tighter fit to the receiver.

Gonzo, where'd you get your Legion iz132?

Yes,I was referring to the sporter FCG rivets.

I got it from ArmsofAmerica.com. I also bought my .308 from them. I asked if they had any with dimples and they said yes, so I got one. If you call them, make sure to ask them to check for a canted FSB because mine has one...dry.gif and its a dimpled on FSB so I cant just take it off by removing pins because there are none. I need to drill out the dimples, press it off, ream it out a tiny bit, and put it back on straight and weld it in place. WAY more involved than a normal FSB fix. I already talked with Tom at CGW and he will fix it, for a fee of course.

I heard back from MH and they said that I need to call RAA to find out who is responsible for warranty work... so pretty much its not covered.

I dont notice anything different between my MH iz240 and my RAA iz132 in regards to the sporter configuration.

EDIT: Its not mine but an example of a Legion iz240 (post #2), mine is identical.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60513

Edited by Mullet Man

I dont notice anything different between my MH iz240 and my RAA iz132 in regards to the sporter configuration.

EDIT: Its not mine but an example of a Legion iz240 (post #2), mine is identical.

Perhaps I misunderstood exactly what the OP was asking. I was just comparing an RAA sporter which has FCG rivets to my SGL-20 that does not.

Perhaps I misunderstood exactly what the OP was asking. I was just comparing an RAA sporter which has FCG rivets to my SGL-20 that does not.

There in lies the confusion.

Sporter are imported with riveted trigget plate, and shoulder pinned FCG.

If the RAA saiga contains rivets holding the FCG, then it is a sporter. If a SGL20 has a forward trigger and pistol grip it is not a sporter.

The RAA comes with rivets and shoulder pins.

A SGL20 does not come with rivets in the FCG.

The SGL20 is not a sporter.

• Like 1

oh!, I think the Legions also come with a 1000m rear sight leaf instead of the 300m on a civilian. not sure if this was mentioned yet. Can anyone confirm this? I dont have a Legion Dimple Gun :unsure:

Mine only has a 300m leaf.

oh!, I think the Legions also come with a 1000m rear sight leaf instead of the 300m on a civilian. not sure if this was mentioned yet. Can anyone confirm this? I dont have a Legion Dimple Gun :unsure:

Mine only has a 300m leaf.

I read that somewhere, maybe its only KVAR Legions? Thanks for the clarification though. BUSTED! :lolol:

I'm still a little unclear on what the Arsenal Legions look like, in their imported form, compared to the sporters the rest of us get.

Do they have some special arrangement to get a base gun into the country that that has never had a trigger installed in its rearward "sporter" position? Or do they get a sporter and weld up the holes? Is their anything else special about these Legions, like a correct handguard retainer or gas block already installed?