ok so first off i apologize if this is a dead horse...

but im looking at gettin rid of my ar-15 for reasons of personality...

im looking at a wasr 10/63 or a saiga .39 and also a milled reciver ak that i cant recall the name but as i was told it had some sort of odd rear tang an needed special adaptors blah blah not like a wasr somethin somethin....

so...the real question...

saiga + conversion + bullet feed ramps on standard ak mags...

wasr + few bits, used and no ramps...

or milled reciever ak non standard tang, no ramps, and strength idea of a milled reciever...

i love opinions and well... these are my 3 considered rifles at this point. i also own a S308 so this is a mild defense,bo rifle

of course i knew i forgot something- i also want to modify the rifle..planned mods are : side folding stock(ace for obvious reasons) compensator or flash hider (tho as i shoot my s308 an dont cry ill take flash hider) 30 round mags, a rail or 2 would be nice also... and if i were really lucky a red dot or scope.

Edited by saigasaurusrex

I have had both types of rifles. One was much more accurate, so I sold one of them.You will notice that I am not on a WASR forum right now am I ? No way. Saiga all the way! All of my x39 rifles are Saiga. Ditched my AR platform rifles as well, .556 and .308.

Here's an idea, if you have the money, get both. The WASR is a great plinker and can provide just as many hours of fun as a Saiga. The quality won't be as great, nor will the accuracy, but it never hurts to have as a backup rifle, or another rifle for your buddy to shoot.

I love my Saiga above all for sure, and the conversion process was a lot of fun, but I can't be harsh towards one of the best specimens of WASRs I've cherry-picked.

Ymmv.

You can't buy a Yugo anymore.....Doesn't mean you ever should have.......Doesn't make them any more desirable. Crap is Crap.

Granted, if you can get a WASR for like, $200-$250, and just want an emergency backup that can throw some lead downrange, or to bury in a secret SHTF spot, eh, maybe.

post-16191-0-33866200-1296161421_thumb.jpg

My wasr-10/63 is great. Performs great, shoots just as accurately as any other AK I've shot. Finish is lackluster, but it's a shooter.

I'd say go for the saiga though, and then go through the full conversion process. Or better yet, just buy an SGL to begin with.

I really have no complaints about my WASR though, no cant, threaded, chrome lined, matching parts, not a "hogged out" receiver, blah blah. It looks like it's been around the block though.

edit - You're not going to get fair reccomendations here though, it is a saiga forum. Saiga is the better rifle though, you're just going to have to convert it.

Edited by t3mac21

Saiga

edit: WASR's are like fat girls... they're ok to get your rocks off. But you don't want your friends to see you with one.

I'd take a fat girl right now. :smoke: I restored my Saiga but now would like to get a WASR while I still can.

SAIGA! This is mine:

PlumCrazy2.jpg

I got a VZ58 for a back up instead of a WASR. Milled receiver. Different mags, but same ammo. I have two 7.62x39 rifles and 2,000 rounds Wolf Military Classic 124 grain HPs! (and assorter Uly FMJ plinking loads).