I've been wanting to convert my 308 for several years now but I'm re-thinking after I consider the cost of doing it. I figured that after I pay for a tacitcal handguard, clamp on brake, butt stock, trigger, etc. I would have more invested than what it cost me to purchase it. Is it worth it? Would you do it?

Thanks for the advice,

Joe

gallery_8775_394_47401.jpg

My 308 cost me a little more.. I threaded the barrel (rented the KIT for $30 and the DPMS Miculek Brake was $55, and the FSB work was another $30).

21" S-308 Rifle was $449 and then the Background chk was $36 locally.

Tapco FCG was like $39 with the retainer PLATE..

MD Arms PG was on sale for $8

Pistol Grip Screw and Bushing was $8

The stock I have was $35 from RPB industries.. (its poly not metal).. wrapped with 550/Parachute Cord..

Factory Handguard with a 5 1/2 piece of an old rail was added with 2 screws from HD for like $1..

Factory mags have csspecs followers and floorplates.. (helps with the 922r)..

Scope was $170 Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40 with 600 DOA Reticle

UTG 978 Quick Detach Mount was $35..

Al

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 4

I've been wanting to convert my 308 for several years now but I'm re-thinking after I consider the cost of doing it. I figured that after I pay for a tacitcal handguard, clamp on brake, butt stock, trigger, etc. I would have more invested than what it cost me to purchase it. Is it worth it? Would you do it?

Thanks for the advice,

Joe

It's definitely worth the money, and I feel certain you could do it for less than the price of a new one. Just curious though, why a "tactical handguard"? And I haven't heard anything good about clamp on brakes. It wouldn't cost much to have a gunsmith thread your barrel so you could put on a proper brake.

Also, there's no reason why you couldn't do this in pieces. Do the back-end conversion first. You only need buttstock, pistol grip, pistol grip screw and nut, FCG, and something to retain the FCG like a retainer plate. Later you could look into doing the front end work you are considering. The back-end conversion alone will be a huge step up, and you can do it for less than $200. (If you mod the FCG yourself, you can do it for about $100, but it may be best to get Dinzag's pre-modded Tapco trigger).

• Like 1

You can do a basic conversion for right around 100 bucks and add items like a fancy handguard and muzzle brake later if you decide you want them.

K-Var stock - $50.00

Tapco G2 fire Control Group - $28.00

Disconnector spring - $2.00

Retaining plate - $8.00

MD Arms Molot grip - $12.00

Pistol grip nut and screw - $7.00

= $106.00 + a few bucks for shipping.

No reason not to.

Edited by KC913
  • Like 4

Just pre-ordered a 7.62 with 16" barrel from Arms of America for $335. This will be my hog gun for night vision monocular hunting out at the ranch. Otherwise I hunt with a longbow.....yes I am nuts.

The low price and functionality made me bite on an AK, and Saigas look to be the best for the $.

I'm mechanically inclined so of course I'll convert it. All my buddies run super high dollar ARs....waste of money for 30 yard shots on hogs that have no clue you are there, if you ask me.

So, I'm gonna assemble the parts to convert in the interim. I'm not terribly cost conscious about the conversion parts and would rather have the best stuff to convert with, esp trigger.

Dinzag seems to be the man to go to for the quality stuff?

• 1 year later...

If you can stop "on a dime" :YES.

If you're like me ("there is no such thing as the END of the project"), then NO.

But the thrill of adrenaline rush, frustrations and dissappointments of mishaps, mixed with satisfaction and joy of creating your own, one of a kind piece of fire breathing demon ...priceless.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Do it Joe. Like you it took me a couple of years to do it because I wasn't sure if I could. But it actually was fairly easy and worth it, after that I bought 2 more saiga's and converted them. The only problem I had was removing the trigger guard, make sure you have a good quality sharp drill bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Definately worth converting. Every time I go to the range I know I did the right thing.

I feel the same way! I have several guns and I don't like any of them as well as this one because I have more pride in this one as I did so much work on it myself. The costs are nothing compared to the feeling of accomplishment you get when she you shoot that baby and it is so smooth and bad-ass. I'm already considering my next conversion on a different caliber.

if you're happy the way the rifle looks now, then you don't need to venture into conversion.

but if if you like the rifle to have a pistol grip and stock. that's all you will need.

you can reuse the trigger guard - 0 dollars there.

just get the trigger, keep the original disconnecter and hammer. those are already modified, just need to modify a US trigger

buy a US made standard AK stock and a US pistol grip of your choice

buy a retainer plate.

buy a US made mag.

bingo, that's all you need. plus you will have all the necessary US parts to be complaint- pistol grip (1), stock (1), mag (3) trigger (1)

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

IMHO, for resale? no. For YOU? absolutely! The rifle is way off balance when in it's "sporter" configuration, and you'd be amazed how much better it feels simply by moving the grip up under the receiver where it was intended to be! This rifle is already front heavy (in it's intended form), let alone in it's "sporterized" form. Converting it will put the mag closer to you, enhance it's balance, shorten the rifle up by about 4-5", and improve it's trigger feel. DEFINITELY worth it (for YOU), however... as with anything... any mods you do are cost you eat, as you will not get it back at resale.