I was due for some new boots. Checked out the local brick and mortar places, Not a Chippewa Super Logger to be had

in North East Pennsylvania. I go on line. I pretty much like to stay with the known companies I have dealt with and did the

same now. Chippewa boots "USED" to be reasonable. They now are up over $240. The only jolly I get from this is knowing

Ijust got a good boot that my feet like, and I can rotate the old and throw away the real old. The real old got salted good

a few times so cant get another trip to the cobbler. Just wont hold stiches. I got free shipping anyway.:cryss: Boo Hoo for me..

I was due for some new boots. Checked out the local brick and mortar places, Not a Chippewa Super Logger to be had

in North East Pennsylvania. I go on line. I pretty much like to stay with the known companies I have dealt with and did the

same now. Chippewa boots "USED" to be reasonable. They now are up over $240. The only jolly I get from this is knowing

Ijust got a good boot that my feet like, and I can rotate the old and throw away the real old. The real old got salted good

a few times so cant get another trip to the cobbler. Just wont hold stiches. I got free shipping anyway.:cryss: Boo Hoo for me..

40 years of credits cards, house flipping, borrowed money and the FED playing games with our currency has reduced you buying power to 1/5 of it's former value. The money in your pockets is worth a fraction of what it used to be.

I just bought a pair of Romanian Cosmas boots and they cost $300 I did this after optioning out a pair of US made Wesco loggers and by the time I got done they would have been $600!

My last pair of CUSTOM Wescos cost $250 in 1999 and I thought that was highway robbery..

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1

My work (car plant) will buy me new steelies once a year for up to 120. Problem is,

I can't seem to make them last much longer than that. I got bad flat feet, so I inevitably

wear through the lining on the heel and instep.

I'm still running the ones I got in Feb 09 as backup, and the ones I got in June 10 are starting

to wear through inside. I figure, with once a year replacements, I can eventually make it to

1 set ahead of the cycle.

Timberlands blowed hard, Redwings were ok but hot for boots, the shoe version was ok, and the

Rockports I got now don't cinch down too well, but they're ok.

My Wolverines were $170ish and they've survived 2 + years of daily use as a mechanic. Composite toe, gortex, thinsulate, slip resistant and anti shock. Best money I've ever spent. The only thing I've done was add toe protectors to the outside to prevent exterior wear from kicking and setting racks.

You guys are fucking nuts. The most expensive pair of boots I own are a bitching pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots, black with white scrollwork all over them. $150. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay what you dudes pay for shit kicking boots when you can shop around a get a pair of good combat boots dirt cheap... :dollar:

Edited by Jpanzer

You guys are fucking nuts. The most expensive pair of boots I own are a bitching pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots, black with whits scrollwork all over them. $150. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay what you dudes pay for shit kicking boots when you can shop around a get a pair of good combat boots dirt cheap... :dollar:

I used to wear combat boots when I was a kid but the first time I ever did some real climbing I was forced to buy real climbing boots and now I won't wear anything else if I am going out in the bush for more than a day hike.If you live and work outside on uneven terrain in changing conditions some cowboy boots meant for pastures and honkytonk dancefloors won't cut it and if you carry a heavy load combat boots are minimum lowest bidder solution at best.

Wanna know what SF operators wear in Afghanistan?

164623_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

$350

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/bates-tora-bora-alpine-boot-p9001.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase

How about Hotshots and Smoke Jumpers

herculesxl.jpg

$350

http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2596

Take care of your feet and they will take care of you...

Shit, $240 is nothing. But, you're buying Chippawa's so...

Look at a pair of White's or Nick's and you'll think your price is cheap. Then, if you want a either of them to build a custom fit pair add an additional $75-100. You're looking at $475+ for 10" uppers. I stick with Lowa Baffins as a less expensive alternative.

Oh, and SOPMOD, those Cosmas are complete dog crap. Trust me, Hotshots and jumpers don't wear that shit...

SOPMOD, those Cosmas are some nice looking boots!!!

I'm still sporting a pair of Red Wings, but their wearing thin, 2 years for $200. For working the Nukes I got a pair of Rothco Composites to get through the Metal Detectors. Best pair of boots I ever owned was a pair of 10" Matterhorn w/ steel toe. Those are up towards $300 now.

SOPMOD, those Cosmas are some nice looking boots!!!

I'm still sporting a pair of Red Wings, but their wearing thin, 2 years for $200. For working the Nukes I got a pair of Rothco Composites to get through the Metal Detectors. Best pair of boots I ever owned was a pair of 10" Matterhorn w/ steel toe. Those are up towards $300 now.

All kevlar Thread throughout, stitched sole, fire/water resistant impregnated leather, high temp vibram sole,puncture proof shank,ball,heel,ankle and they lace to the toe like my Wescos and fit really well.

These are the epitome of SHTF boots but they will makes a nice work boot in the interim..

SOPMOD,

The COSMAS can claim all kinds of shit. But, I've personally witnessed what a pile of steaming crap they really are. I've had guys that walked around for weeks with the fuckers duct taped to their feet because they split right around the uber cool ankle bone bubble. When you're out in the wilderness for two weeks with no way out you'll thank me that you passed on those poopers.

You guys are fucking nuts. The most expensive pair of boots I own are a bitching pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots, black with whits scrollwork all over them. $150. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay what you dudes pay for shit kicking boots when you can shop around a get a pair of good combat boots dirt cheap... :dollar:

I find the cost of redwings vs walmart boots. Redwings (domestically made only) at $200 a pair end up being a 10-20% savings over two years. I have had low end boots fall apart in less than 2 months. I am picky about buying only USA made boots. They actually fit!

Where are these combat boots you speak of?

SOPMOD,

The COSMAS can claim all kinds of shit. But, I've personally witnessed what a pile of steaming crap they really are. I've had guys that walked around for weeks with the fuckers duct taped to their feet because they split right around the uber cool ankle bone bubble. When you're out in the wilderness for two weeks with no way out you'll thank me that you passed on those poopers.

The version 1 had the stitching too close so it cut the leather, the version 2 is bedrock with a one piece side panel and doesn't have the stitching so tight together that the kevlar thread cuts the leather leather like the V1s did.White's isn't making the same quality of boot they did 10+ years ago(especially if they get wet from the inside) and they never made a boot for a man who carries a 90lb pack and for an extra $200 I couldn't justify another pair of Wescos(with all lether lining that won't come out like a pulled off condom when you submerge them,lol).

I have had these out all winter and they are holding up as well as my Wescos did at first but then again I am not on a crew sliding off of log ramps and up to my knees in crap anymore so only time will tell,,

These are the Version 2s(I posted the wrong picture in my earlier post)

gallery_101_548_633062.jpg

Edited by SOPMOD

Thanks Guys.. I feel better I think. Believe me I wish the Walmart specials or combat boots would work.

A good fall a couple years has left me with some problems and it shows up in my feet a lot of times

plus I put a lot of miles on my Harley in the summer. The more comfortable my boots are make my days

last longer, hike another mile or two and protect me from that rogue peice of gravel that flies off the truck

in front of me. I was a dedicated Carolina wearer until I got a pair and they didn't feel right. They started to

stretch out in the toe area, feet really hurt, and just were not right. The reason was that they were made in

China like the rest of the Carolina's. They turned to pure shit. Since then I have been in the Super Loggers

and am happy. I also see that you guys take good care of your feet and some take a lot of pride in your boots.

Hey man to each his own I guess. I'm content with the new pair of Danner Desert Acadia boots I picked up on Ebay for $40. Yeah, brand new $40 with tags. :super: Also like my ICWB boots from Bates (USGI issue),got those for $50.

Got a pair of Red Wings in the closet. Got them through a old job years ago. They are ok but nothing special, and they didn't cost me a penny. Also picked up a pair of East German fleece lined pilot boots for $25 bucks brand new off Ebay.

Deals are out there man. I'll spend $40 bucks for a pair of Danners and spend the other $250 on ammo or the next rifle... ;)

Edited by Jpanzer