Ammo Storage Container?

Where do you store your extra ammo? I would like a case of some sort that I can put in my gun safe. I would like it to efficiently store lots of shotgun shells. It would be nice to have some sort of ammo box (even waterproof?) that I could grab and go if I ever needed to carry a few hundred rounds of ammo. Anyone have something like this? What do you store your extra ammo in? Pictures / links?

-Ryan

Try some of the ammo storage boxes from Cabelas, they're a lot lighter than ammo cans and just throw your ammo in there with a few dry packets and you're set.

Yep, Cabelas ammo boxex are nice (and cheap). Sometimes they have sales going to where if you buy XX amount of ammo you get a free ammo container.

50 cal ammo cans and desiccant. I would also suggest when you purchase check the condition of the rubber seals. When I get them home I spray each one with RemOil inside and out.

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Go with the military ammo cans with desiccant packs as per yakdung . Pick a size to your liking depending on how much you want to put in it and how heavy you want . The metal military cans hold up better than the lighter plastic aftermarket cans especially in the cold . Try dropping a loaded plastic can in below zero weather and watch it break . My 2 cents .

I bought a bunch of those plastic boxes, and I'm done. The rubber gaskets don't hold up, neither does plastic in the cold. I've broken the plastic part of the latch on two in the cold, just from opening/ closing. It doesn't take long to fill up a .50 can with 12GA. I prefer the 20mm and 40mm ammo cans for 12GA. The shipping can be pricey, but so can a whole bunch of .50 cans. If your ammo is going in the safe; you either have an enormous safe, or very little ammo.

I picked up one of these on sale (99.00 w/ free shipping) over the winter holidays.

12ammo50.jpg?t=1296698252

It is light with 175 rounds (actually stuck more in it after opened) compared to the ones I have rifle and handgun rounds in.

I usually pick the 50's and 30's up at a surplus store in the city.

Can't you buy 50 cal cans at army/navy surplus stores?

Can be a little pricey at Army Navy surplus stores. If you can find a vendor at a gun show, show up on Sunday when things are about to close. I purchased (50) 30 cal cans for $2.00 a piece. 50 cal cans I paid $5.00 a shot. The more I bought, the more the price came down. All were in excellent shape.

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Wow, you fill up a 50 cal ammo can with buckshot and you're talking about something pretty freakin' heavy!!!

yeah. they are heavy, i have several.

I picked up one of these on sale (99.00 w/ free shipping) over the winter holidays.

12ammo50.jpg?t=1296698252

It is light with 175 rounds (actually stuck more in it after opened) compared to the ones I have rifle and handgun rounds in.

I usually pick the 50's and 30's up at a surplus store in the city.

hey NMO where abouts you from?