.223 Golani Jams with wolf steel jacket ammo

I have a century Golani in .223 that shoots brass case ammo with no problem, but when I try and shoot the Wolf .223 steel jacket ammo, after 2 or 3 rounds, it fails to eject the spent case. Anybody know why this happens?

I dont know, mine does the same thing but it jams every steel wolf round when fired. I have to knock it out with a rod. Brass it cycles with no problems.

Thats why I don't buy anything from century. I learned my lesson the hard way, when I got a 5.45 x 39 tantal imported by century. They are nothing but crooks selling low quality, un-reliable products. I tell everyone I know to stay away from century.

century_monkey.jpg

Edited by Gun Fanatic
  • Like 2

Thats why I don't buy anything from century. I learned my lesson the hard way, when I got a 5.45 x 39 tantal imported by century. They are nothing but crooks selling low quality, un-reliable products. I tell everyone I know to stay away from century.

http://t2.gstatic.co...fsVL1ZnfLtg&t=1

Hahahaha! Thats a good one! The tantal I got was one of the ones that had a barrel with the wrong twist rate, and every bullet keyholed after about 25 yds. Screw century!

http://t2.gstatic.co...fsVL1ZnfLtg&t=1

Hahahaha! Thats a good one! The tantal I got was one of the ones that had a barrel with the wrong twist rate, and every bullet keyholed after about 25 yds. Screw century!

Actually the one gun I got by them runs fine. But they do have a hard time putting out anything worth the parts it's made of. You think they would realize if they put more $ towards producing a better product people would gladly pay the difference. :rolleyes:

I have a century Golani in .223 that shoots brass case ammo with no problem, but when I try and shoot the Wolf .223 steel jacket ammo, after 2 or 3 rounds, it fails to eject the spent case. Anybody know why this happens?

I dont know, mine does the same thing but it jams every steel wolf round when fired. I have to knock it out with a rod. Brass it cycles with no problems.

Sounds like a tight chamber. Same reason guns with a match chamber have a hard time with out of spec surplus ammo. Of course I'm not a gun smith so it could just be some peanut butter in there or something. :donatello:

Edited by Gun Fanatic
  • Like 1

My first Tantal keyholed really bad, exchanged it and the second one works fine....

Getting back to the Golani, what makes them seize up with steel cased ammo?

The steel cased ammo has a lacquer coating. Each round fired leaves a lacquer deposit in the chamber, which builds up. After a few rounds, the lacquer build up inside the chamber is thick enough to bind up with the lacquer on the expanded steel casing causing it to seize in the chamber and FTE.

• Like 1

My first Tantal keyholed really bad, exchanged it and the second one works fine....

The steel cased ammo has a lacquer coating. Each round fired leaves a lacquer deposit in the chamber, which builds up. After a few rounds, the lacquer build up inside the chamber is thick enough to bind up with the lacquer on the expanded steel casing causing it to seize in the chamber and FTE.

I may be wrong but I could swear that this was just a myth.

Not a myth, simply experience. I have one of these guns and have observed this first hand. Just run brass through it. No worries.

Yes, I have heard the quality of their Golanis is "hit and miss" at best. I do really want to get a Galil someday, but I am not fond of trusting Century when it comes to these things. I am not sure if I will ever have a Galil, as I am not going to fork out $2K+ for a genuine IMI pre-ban Galil.

Not a myth, simply experience. I have one of these guns and have observed this first hand. Just run brass through it. No worries.

Why does lacquer or polymer coated steel cased ammo only allegedly do this to certain firearms? I have not had any issues with chambers getting gummed up with crap, and I have used quite a bit of this ammo in my AK's, SKS's, GLOCK's, Ruger Mini-14, and Springfield M1A.

I can't find the video but the box o truth and ar15.com discuss how this was proven

to be wrong after someone took a blowtorch to the lacquer case and didn't melt it.

It was determined that the red sealant and or carbon from the steel cases not expanding enough to close the chamber were what was actually gumming up the chamber.

I'm trying to find an article where they took a flame to the case and didn't melt the lacquer. They came to the

conclusion that since the metal cases do not expand the same as brass that it was allowing junk to blow back in

the chamber. After that when trying to fire brass the brass would expand and the gunk on the walls would tighten it up. You have more experience in this matters then myself though.

Edited by superA

Yes, I have heard the quality of their Golanis is "hit and miss" at best. I do really want to get a Galil someday, but I am not fond of trusting Century when it comes to these things. I am not sure if I will ever have a Galil, as I am not going to fork out $2K+ for a genuine IMI pre-ban Galil.

Why does lacquer or polymer coated steel cased ammo only allegedly do this to certain firearms? I have not had any issues with chambers getting gummed up with crap, and I have used quite a bit of this ammo in my AK's, SKS's, GLOCK's, Ruger Mini-14, and Springfield M1A.

Sounds like you have a fine collection. If you want to experience this, and draw your own conclusion, you will need a Golani for the experiment.

Best regards,

Mike

Sounds like you have a fine collection. If you want to experience this, and draw your own conclusion, you will need a Golani for the experiment.

Best regards,

Mike

I don't have a problem using brass cased ammo if that is necessary, but I am not sure if I want to deal with Century's hit and miss stuff with these guns (I have heard of them having issues other than the chamber getting gummed up with crap). But maybe I will one day bite the bullet when I have taken care of some other projects first (Saiga conversions, AR-15 build, etc.).

from my experience and what I have read...the brass is softer,it expands then contracts rather easily. The "steel" actually bi-metal cases expand but don't contract as easily which usually results in broken cases or stuck cases.

just my 2 cents.

What remodel said, but ad this.

If the chamber is cut rough, the wrinkling of the steel case after firing, makes extraction even worse, because it forms out into an even rougher surface that on a smooth chamber, magnifying the drag on extraction.

Perhaps some very fine polishing compound to the chamber?

Im not sure what is causing it on mine, even with a clean gun it jams the first fired round using steel ammo and every one after... maybe a rough chamber, I dunno.

I just remember to shoot brass in it and use the wolf in the C93 and the AR's Kind of a pita though

Interesting thread, thanks guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

This guy talks a little about steel cased ammo, it contradicts what Mike has said. The AR15 talk may not be of much benefit tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM&feature=feedlik

As I recall, I wasn't using Wolf. It was steel cased ammo that had been dipped in a sort of drippy brown lacquer. The ammo was extremely cheap, and would consistently gum up the chamber and refuse to eject after three or four rounds. After knocking the stuck casings out of the chamber with a cleaning rod, I gave what I had left to an RO at a local indoor range. He shot it all up in his AR, and had no complaints.

I have no Idea how Wolf runs in the Golani. I have no problems shooting brass, and no desire to reinvent the wheel, or to experiment further. Use what works.

• Like 1

it might be because steel is a much stiffer material than brass, and it therefore has less give to it.

What remodel said, but ad this.

If the chamber is cut rough, the wrinkling of the steel case after firing, makes extraction even worse, because it forms out into an even rougher surface that on a smooth chamber, magnifying the drag on extraction.

Perhaps some very fine polishing compound to the chamber?

you might be on to something. also, i just remembered that similar materials tend to stick together, whereas dissimilar materials do not. so if the rifle has steel components, then steel casings may stick to them.

but id like to stress the fact that this is possible, but not guaranteed. i think for it to happen to any noticeable effect, both surfaces need to be absolutely clean