I'm still worried about this ban on .50BMGs. SO I'm tempted to save all I got and throw it into a Barrett .50 mag-fed bolt-action. However, I don't even have a place to shoot it and I sure is hell can't afford the ammo or the gun for that matter, but I'm going to get one before they're banned even if it puts me into debt up to my ears.

Much more practical is an AR. I want to get into 3-guns, and it would be useful for competition, but regardless, I can use it on ranges around here or out in the boonies where some of my family/friends live and let me shoot on their property. Not to mention I could afford it more easily and I could afford to shoot it.

Obviously, any gun is an investment. I don't think I've bought one yet that I couldn't sell for more than I bought it for. But here's my questions for the forum.

1) Do I need to be ultra-worried about the .50-ban? Or do I have some time to save up and in the mean-time get an AR?

2) I've heard that when purchasing ARs, one should follow the ABC rule: Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt. However, how's DSA compare? They're the current makers of FALs, but have the AR-type rifle which I'm most interested in getting. The following link is for the one that I'm most interested in, can some of your more experienced fellows give me your opinion on it as compared to an ABC?

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=D...&image=s20b.gif

Thanks for y'all's help. Next topic...AR optics! But that'll be a ways off, just figured I'd mention it so those that are willing can start thinking about it.

I dont know what to say about a 50 cal ban. Right now I would say its not a major worry, but that can change overnight.

The ABC rule isn't as ironclad as it used to be. Rock River, Fulton, LMT, are all as good as the ABCs. Not to leave out quite a few others like DMPS, Cavalry Arms, J&T etc. While I dont know anything about DSAs ARs, I would guess they are probably pretty good if pricey compared to others in their class.

i've also heard the same thing

you can put one together easily out of parts kits for less than $500!

and they are just as accurate if you use parts from good reputable companies.

i was considering getting a good lower and then getting multiple caliber uppers to switch out when i want to.

not to mention the option of getting a 50 bmg upper for your ar for around $1200! :devil:

*SHOW ME THE LINK* TO WHERE I CAN GET a .50 BMG upper for $1200...

cause I am in the market... and so far the CHEAPEST I have seen is a laminated stock Single shot bolt action for $1700!!!

All the 50 bmg uppers I have seen have been priced at about $2200...

so lets see it PLEASE!!!! I got the cash in hand to spend... and I am wanting one!!!!

:smoke:

*SHOW ME THE LINK*  TO WHERE I CAN GET a .50 BMG upper for $1200...

cause I am in the market... and so far the CHEAPEST I have seen is a laminated stock Single shot bolt action for $1700!!!

All the 50 bmg uppers I have seen have been priced at about $2200...

so lets see it PLEASE!!!! I got the cash in hand to spend... and I am wanting one!!!!

:smoke:

Here's the closest one I could find $1249.00 Watson's. (Minnesota)

http://www.watsonsweapons.com/images/vhpadd.jpg

Ace

hey thats it.

well i was only $49 bucks off but thats still a hell of a deal. :super:

not bad for a 50 bmg beginner. :killer:

you can throw one together for less than $1500! :eek:

the thought even crossed my mind very briefly...............right before my wife smacked me in the back of the head ramming it into the monitor. :ded:

well, maybe one day :devil::dollar::dollar:

Just a little note on building an AR-15 for less than $500, it isn't going to happen with all new parts. By the time shipping and FFL fees add in it comes in to about $550 or so unless you find a used upper.

The cheapest I have built a lower is $180 all in with the FFL fee.

Sweet, I'm definately going to build my own and use the saved money to customize it to be EXACTLY what I want, instead of someone else's project or a mass-produced item. I was planning to spend ~$1400 without optics, so I figure if I invest that into something I build myself it should be pretty nifty. Thanks for all the help, and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way as I delve deeper into the project. Have a great one!

one comment on the 50 ban in NY. It curiously went to vote in congress completely vaguely defined, so this version of it probably wont go through? but it also states on this stupid proposed ban that ALL 50's go bye bye. no grandfathering is specifically addressed in the idiotic law.

they "CAN" be purchased, built, ready to fire for less than $500.

"complete" lower=$99

"complete" upper=$300

ffl fee x 1=$20

shipping for both=$20

and it can be cheaper if you go with used parts.

those prices are for NIB condition.

so all those idiots paying $1200 for that piece of shit is pretty damn ignorant.

you could almost have 3 for that price..............

then again they are paying $200 for a damn plastic magazine.

go figure

Post links for those TWGLADF, because I want in on that! ;)

More than likely the 300 dollar upper has no bolt and carrier. Add another $100. The 99 dollar lowers I have seen are not complete, you still need a stock, buffer and tube, in fact I have not seen a forged lower that cheap with any parts in it.

But if I'm wrong, I would sure like to know where they can be had.