Supercooled water... I must be a NERD...

For those of you who live where its COLD... this may have happened to you...

Ever have a case of bottled water sitting on the front or back porch... cause its cold out... and all but a couple of the bottles FREEZE solid? The remaining ones are still perfectly normal in appearance... But they are not... LOL As soon as you open one it instantly turns into slush?!?!? ( this can happen with soda in the freezer, too... but only if its left in for JUST THE PERFECT amount of time... :up: )

It looks like this... ( not my video... )

Its pretty cool... So I thought I would show my 16 yr old daughter this phenomenon yesterday...

I had the bottle all liquid... and I took the top off with her watching and I said " now watch THIS!!! " and I touched my finger to the top of the water... and POOF!!!! It did that exact same thing as the video...

She got a strange look on her face and called me a "NERD" Cause only a NERD would KNOW about that or how to do that trick... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:

The reason that SOME of the water out of your case of bottles does not freeze is because those particular bottles are MORE PURE than the ones that DID freeze... There was nothing for the ice crystals to form on... Just FYI... :up:

:smoke:

For those of you who live where its COLD... this may have happened to you...

Ever have a case of bottled water sitting on the front or back porch... cause its cold out... and all but a couple of the bottles FREEZE solid? The remaining ones are still perfectly normal in appearance... But they are not... LOL As soon as you open one it instantly turns into slush?!?!? ( this can happen with soda in the freezer, too... but only if its left in for JUST THE PERFECT amount of time... :up: )

It looks like this... ( not my video... )

Its pretty cool... So I thought I would show my 16 yr old daughter this phenomenon yesterday...

I had the bottle all liquid... and I took the top off with her watching and I said " now watch THIS!!! " and I touched my finger to the top of the water... and POOF!!!! It did that exact same thing as the video...

She got a strange look on her face and called me a "NERD" Cause only a NERD would KNOW about that or how to do that trick... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:

The reason that SOME of the water out of your case of bottles does not freeze is because those particular bottles are MORE PURE than the ones that DID freeze... There was nothing for the ice crystals to form on... Just FYI... :up:

:smoke:

why yes, unstable equilibrium position!! ive studied this type of phenomena in my physics classes

Anyone whos says liquids/solids cannot be compressed clearly have no clue regarding physics. The few better sealed bottles kept higher compression and expanded less. I guarantee given a couple degrees colder temp the other would have frozen too. The couple that froze when opened lost this built-up pressure so the liquids lost their energy quickly and froze.

Anyone whos says liquids/solids cannot be compressed clearly have no clue regarding physics. The few better sealed bottles kept higher compression and expanded less. I guarantee given a couple degrees colder temp the other would have frozen too. The couple that froze when opened lost this built-up pressure so the liquids lost their energy quickly and froze.

liquids and solids can be compressed, but only to a very small degree. as for supercooled fluids, its not exactly that the fluid lost its energy quickly, it was in fact already cold enough to have frozen, but it is in a state such that no ice crystals have formed. this is whats known as an unstable equilibrium. the second you perturb it, an ice crystal forms, which creates a chain reaction. the same type of thing occurs with fluids which have a huge amount of substance suspended in them, say for example salt. but if you drop one grain of salt crystal in it, it will instantly cause a huge amount of salt to precipitate into solid form. i believe that situation is known as supersaturation.

I'm going to call BS on the purity thing. Those bottles were filled, most likely, right after

each other, so I would say that the water is 99.5% exactly similar.

However, the seals on the bottles can be different, as can the precise amount of water in the bottle.

While it is hard to compress a liquid, one merely needs to look at a phase change diagram to see what

is going on. Ice is less dense than water, thus, at temperatures near freezing, one can influence

the precise freezing point by changing the pressure. More pressure means lower freezing point. Thus,

a better sealed bottle will have retained more air pressure and have a slightly lowered freezing point.

The opposite end, boiling, is plainly seen in boiling point changes with the change in pressure via elevation.

Supercooling usually doesn't happen in a residential freezer.

I've taken a swig from an apparently normal bottle of pop that was left in my car overnight only to end up with a mouth full of ice crystals. I've had them freeze up on opening more times than I can recall, but that was the first time the drink had started freezing in my mouth.