Saiga 308 or Remington 700 sps tactical

I'm looking at adding another .308 to the arsenal. I have a FNAR which I like and is really fun to shoot, but it is heavy. I'd like to get another .308 that's faster handling for hunting, plinking and SHTF purposes.

I'm down to the Saiga 308 or Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Any thoughts...? Did I overlook any other good options? I've ruled out the M1A, PTR91 and FAL based on weight/price/performance (and they're all similar to the function of my FNAR).

If it was just for SHTF the Saiga 308 is the obvious choice. But for hunting too? I'm not an experienced hunter but I have to imagine the Saiga is heavy to carry all day... at least my FNAR is too heavy for hunting.

I would go with the Saiga 308. Not a fan of bolt action, lever action that would be bad ass(Rifleman from the 60's)

The FNAR with a 20" barrel weighs 8.8

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/item.asp?fid=fnf049&gid=fng022&mid=FNM0176&item=3108929320

While the FNAR heavy barrel weighs 9.13

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/item.asp?fid=fnf049&gid=fng022&mid=FNM0199&item=3108929500

the Saiga 308 with a 21" barrel weighs 9.0

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml

The Saiga 308 weighs comprable to other rifles out there. As well it can be a multi purpose rifle, with accessories. Like any firearm, the more crap we add on leads to more weight. I am not familar with the FNAR I don't know how much it costs, as well as parts, cost of mags, etc. I think that would lead to a decision on one or the other rifle.

Does it really matter how much it weighs? If you want to shoot it your going to carry it. :super:

check out the savage 10 fp dont listen to all the remington fanboys who say the savage is crap. i owned a remmy and sold it for the savage that being said i have owned a saiga 308 in 16" and 22' and sold both. both were great guns but i love the long range bolt gun. you dont need a high rate of fire when you can make hits beyond 500 yards consistently. just my 2 cents

I hunt with my saiga rifles.

So a couple questions that will help answer your question.

What state will you be hunting in?

How far away are game animals when walking in a hunting area?

How thick is the brush scrub or forest that you are thinking of hunting in?

How do you carry a firearms when hunting?

The reason I ask is:

some states don't allow auto loading rifles for hunting.

Long range is not the saiga rifles department, sub 200 yards in my opinion for hunting.

Thick brush means trying for a follow up shot, which is a point for the saiga.

I find rifles with pistol grips, to be less hateful to carry 'at the ready' all day. However saiga rifles carried with a sling like to poke you with the charging handle.

They are both great tools, what your wanting to use them for will decide which is best.

You don't use a wrench to drive nails or a hammer to tighten bolts.

I went with both the Saiga and Marlin XL7 308. The trigger is as good or better than the Savage I used to own and if you want lighter you can go with the XS7 which while called a Youth model is fine for a grown man. I ditched Remington due to their seeming disregard for our lives.

Either are fine, both are better.