anyone tried to retain the old stock by hiding it beneath that cord ro

i am just being a extreeeeeeeeeeeme tight wad . i plan on putting a pistol grip on it. i just cant decide :cryss: what real stock to put on it, so i thought in the time being i just might try to hide it ala what that one guy did on here to his ace side folder alum stock... i know its cheesy and stupid and corny, but i had to ask :lolol:

Well, if your idea is cheesy, corny and stupid (your words), and the original stock like it is just looks kind of cheap, I think I would go with "kind of cheap". I honestly don't know how the paracord would look but I've seen easier jobs than that look worse than what they were trying to covering up.

Using the original stock in pistol grip configuration is going to look like shit, but if you must it's you gun. If it were me just put a couple dollars aside each week then buy an old beat up wood AK stock to put on it. It will probably require some fitting to get it in place but will look 100% better IMO.

I've seen people reuse the factory stock after installing a pistol grip, on Saiga rifles. Sure, it may look awkward, but hey, it will work, and it doesn't cost you anything.

I personally see no problem with rocking that setup until you decide on/can afford a new stock.

• Like 1

There's one guy that filled the factory stock with bondo then filed off the grip, then painted it. It really didn't come out to bad looking, but I think it would be a little long. JMO.

Edited by Yeoldetool

Your :dollar: and your gun, do to it as you will! but the Ak stock Idea is a good one and usually one can be found cheap and you can paint it blk, OD, etc... but a good kvar type stock is reasonable and quickly obtainable with a little savings strategy.

i am just being a extreeeeeeeeeeeme tight wad . i plan on putting a pistol grip on it. i just cant decide :cryss: what real stock to put on it, so i thought in the time being i just might try to hide it ala what that one guy did on here to his ace side folder alum stock... i know its cheesy and stupid and corny, but i had to ask :lolol:

Ive seen the tapco ak stock for around 26 dollars. Im not the wealthiest guy in the world but geez dude. This can be an expensive hobby depending on what ur looking to build.

If you're looking for a cheap HD gun, big 5 sells shotguns for around 150 bucks.

No offense bud, but if you cant afford a 26 dollar stock for your gun...how are you going to afford ammo?

Good luck

Do you really want to be that guy!!! Not only will it look poor but you will end up with about a 16.5" LOP so you better have some serious long arms. Do it right or dont do it I constantly see guys running budget builds at are matches they never stay working for long. Do you really want to put somthing together that you may have to trust your life to, built with the cheapest stuff you can find...

I'm not too proud to admit that I was THAT guy for a week or so. The factory stock is indeed way too long to be used effectively with a pistol grip. I ended up cutting off ~4" and with a shop rag around the end, it worked much better for the one range trip it was attached.

post-25486-0-82421700-1299725631_thumb.jpg

No regrets there. Still, even though it was a fine example of Southern Engineering, Vera deserved better! :lolol:

post-25486-0-65813700-1299725908_thumb.jpg

Good luck with whatever route you end up taking, regardless the haters are gonna hate :smoke:

• Like 1

Ive seen the tapco ak stock for around 26 dollars. Im not the wealthiest guy in the world but geez dude. This can be an expensive hobby depending on what ur looking to build.

If you're looking for a cheap HD gun, big 5 sells shotguns for around 150 bucks.

No offense bud, but if you cant afford a 26 dollar stock for your gun...how are you going to afford ammo?

Good luck

cuz the stocks i want are more like 130. but i cant decide. i do like wood, and am considering that route. it would be long as others have pointed out. of course i can affor d 26, thats not the point though

and to add to that, i am trying to order everything i wanna do to hte gun at once. that way i dont keep getting dimed to death with shipping on a cheap part....

but i do appreciate the input, and thanks for humoring me! it was just one of those stupid thoughts that had to be put into words

ah one last question while i am making myself look silly, anyone else reuse the factory trigger? last one i converted i had the trigger tig welded to the bottom of the nuetered trigger assy dealie-o...worked fine except the angle wasnt perfect

Photo0252.jpg

Edited by saltydecimator