Indy you thief stealing that pic of that nice girl next door. Your wife isnt going to like that
It wasnt her PIC that I *stole from her* :wub: and NO the wife WOULD NOT LIKE THAT! ROFL!!! ( ok, ok.. just kidding...)

Ever seen a round from an A-10's Avenger 30mm?

It fires something like a 7000grain Depleted Uranium projectile

NO!!! I havent... I think you need to get to posting some pics of THAT BABY for us here... no gun *too big* for the Saiga forums!!!! WOOWOO!!

:smoke:

If I am not mistaken, the 16" shells from the battleships arent actually cased bullets... they just load a projectile slug into the breech end of the chamber, then ram in the appropriate powder charge...Right???

Hey... I watched UNDER SEIGE.... :ph34r: LOL

dawg, if it's a DU round, you wouldn't want it anyway. You do know what depleted uranium is right? An old radioactive core from a power plant or something else (nuke too perhaps?) that has lost most of the radioactivity from use to where it is no longer effecient. That means they are still somewhat radioactive and guys in tanks have/do get sick from them. Apparently someone in a twisted stroke of genius said "this is super dense and can penetrate armor, we have it piling up from old reactors so lets use it as a projectile... nevermind that fact it can give you radioactive poisoning or distribute it through the environment." Not my cup of tea.

Indie- Yes the 16" rounds are loaded first, and 200-300lbs of powder behind! Depending on range. But the armor piercing rounds themselves are almost 7 feet long! 2 of them make a very impressive set of driveway ornaments!

G O B

(edited for speeel spie spelling!)

Edited by G O B
  • 1 month later...

You think two 16"/50cal(16" in dia. and cal x dia gives you the barrel length) are impressive, an igloo full of them they are really impressive, they pallet them two to a pallet and stacked three high. Our american legion in town has a half a dozen or so them marking the parking lot.

A few years ago the army scraped truckloads of inert rounds(maybe all of the training rounds). They actually are smaller than a two thousand lb bomb though, more steel and less explosive, the ap's in the inventory now are six feet long, and the high explosive are only five feet-four. The actual bursting charges are small, forty to one forty lbs approx. They actually use more propellant than explosive. The other thing is the explosive they used, yellow d, nasty amoninum based explosive.

For big guns there are three types of loadings, fixed, semi fixed and seperate loading. Fixed are like a cartrage, case and projectile are one unit, crimped together, tank rounds and smaller gun rounds are of this type. The 105mm and the family of 5" naval guns(38/54/62) are semi fixed, the powder is in a case but the round is not crimped and the powder is not loose but bagged, it can be adjusted by removing bags within the case, then the round is put together, and loaded as a cartrage. Seperate loading is what it says, you first put in the projectile and then the bags of propellant. 155mm and the larger naval guns are of this type. The largest gun the navy fields in now the 5" and the army is not supporting anything larger than 155 at this time.

Sorry if I bored any one.

Sea dog? You bet! I was an engineman on a diesel sub. USS SeaLeopard SS483

"Built in the shops of the devil, born in the mind of a fiend, filled with acid and crude oil, and christened a SUBMARINE!

G O B

The army teaches classes where I work about ammunition, the collection of the ammo the classrooms has is impressive, I needed to see a round from the sixties, from m-60 tanks, and dang if they didnt have one (though demiled) for me to look at. They have almost anything ammo handlers can find in western ammo, and some eastern bloc stuff too.

Guess too much of a good thing can be bad, around ammo all day makes is somewhat routine now. The fourth of July aint the same any more. Just too much noise. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I will put my money that the "unknown round is INDEED a .50 bmg renecked... it was called a SPOTTER TRACER round... I know you can buy spotter tracer bullets reloaded into standard 50 bmg casings...

HOWEVER...

The ORIGINAL .50 BMG SPOTTER TRACER looked VERY similar to that one, it was in a SHORTER casing, designed to be used with a howitzer as an aiming tool. They were made differently, so that they could not be mistaken for the original, and the original not used in a spotter tracer application....

Do the google search for "spotter tracer" and you can get all the good juicy info...

• 2 weeks later...

300 whisper??

Thats an interesting looking round, I must admit... I have never heard of that one... what was that used for?

I assume by the size of the case that its a low power round, made for closer shooting and QUIETER, ( hence the name??) yet still tossing out a goodly sized slug to target?

varmint cartridge? short range deer hunting?