So I got a new non-AK rifle, but still couldn't resist an AK

Finally picked up my unfired JLD built PTR91 on friday, I'm super stoked about to have this rifle, I've been wanting one for a couple of years, but couldn't afford it because I kept buying AK's.

th_2011-03-18192133.jpg

When I went to the FFL to pick it up, I saw some Dracos on the wall behind the counter, and made an impulse buy. All I had intended to buy was a tin of the Radway Green .308, but y'all know how it goes. Plus, my birthday's next week, why shouldn't I get 2 guns for my birthday. I've been good.

th_2011-03-18202528.jpg

I had these handguards that I had been waiting to put on a Draco, a leather G3 sling laying around.

th_2011-03-20191658.jpg

I'm waiting on a cleaning rod from Classic Arms (they have them for $10, for anyone who got a draco sans cleaning rod), and then I'm going to start the paper work to put an underfolder on it. This will be my first NFA weapon, I figured I'd go as cheap as possible, while I'm waiting on the Saiga 12's to come back stateside at a reasonable price (I'm still betting on the end of the year, before the 2012 election panic starts up, I've got it planned out. :smoke: )

I haven't shot the Draco yet, but the PTR is sweet. Nailing shit out at 100 yards with iron sights, not even really trying. It's taken the spot as my #3 favorite gun, sorry Yugo AK.

Nice!! I want a Draco so bad.

very nice man!! im just curious though, what is the overall length of your stock draco? the reason i ask is because im thinking of buying one and putting a skeleton stock on it, but the thing needs to be at least 30 inches long for it to be legal.

You'd also have to put some sort of barrel extension/brake on it to bring the barrel up to 16", if you're not going the SBR route.

Nice!! I want a Draco so bad.

very nice man!! im just curious though, what is the overall length of your stock draco? the reason i ask is because im thinking of buying one and putting a skeleton stock on it, but the thing needs to be at least 30 inches long for it to be legal.

You'd also have to put some sort of barrel extension/brake on it to bring the barrel up to 16", if you're not going the SBR route.

ahh, good to know. the last thing i need is to get a visit from the ATF for being a negligent idiot. lol

The DRACO is a pistol, if you add a stock to it you have violated the federal regulations and it becomes an SBR and must be registered.

i was under the impression that it was legal to convert a draco into a rifle as long as the barrel is at least minimum length of 16 inches and the overall length is at least 30 inches.

but a 16 inch barrel is the length of a standard AK rifle. it would be cheaper to just buy one of those. so when i do buy a draco, i wont add anything to it, other than refinishing the wood, and maybe buying a nicer pistol grip.

Is the ptr 91 a decent gun as far as function and reliability? I've been eyeing the pistol version to compliment my draco.

Yeah, I'm real happy with mine. I bought an older one, back before PTR was a company. From what I understand, when they started making PTR's, it was a company called JLD that was doing all the assembly, and many of the parts were HK parts. The receiver was US made, but on HK tooling, which they had purchased after the HK91 quit being imported. So some sort of internal politics or something happened at JLD, and I think some employee acquired the rights to the PTR, and started a company called PTR, which is what the newer guns are.

Through my research, I found a lot of complaints about the newer PTRs and the brand new heavy barrels they were using, and some people commenting that the issues they were having had been worked out. Based on that, I sought out a JLD built rifle, and was lucky enough to find one brand new, even though it was built in 2000, I believe. It has an extremely low serial number, and as you can see, no muzzle device (which will be relegated soon enough :devil:).

I'll tell you this much, this is an accurate son of a bitch. I don't usually shoot anything but AK's, but this one will wreck shit a long way off, with iron sights. I had some issues with the first round not ejecting, so that I'd have to drop the mag, clear the round, and reseat the mag, then the rest of the rounds would work fine. I found a bunch of gummed up shit in the breech, have cleaned it out, and will see how it runs on saturday. I'm pretty sure it was just a bunch of filth in the barrel flutes from not cleaning it before I shot it for the first time.

I totally want one of those PTR pistol, it would look super sexy with a retractable stock on it. The only thing is that I don't know how accurate a .308 would be in a 10" barrel.

The DRACO is a pistol, if you add a stock to it you have violated the federal regulations and it becomes an SBR and must be registered.

i was under the impression that it was legal to convert a draco into a rifle as long as the barrel is at least minimum length of 16 inches and the overall length is at least 30 inches.

but a 16 inch barrel is the length of a standard AK rifle. it would be cheaper to just buy one of those. so when i do buy a draco, i wont add anything to it, other than refinishing the wood, and maybe buying a nicer pistol grip.

If you pin/permanently attach a muzzle extension on the draco to bring the barrel length to 16", you can put a stock on it without doing NFA-type paper work, but I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a WASR if you were going to do that, unless your sole attraction to it is the FSB/GB combo.

• Like 1

yea, im not gonna mess with it. in the end, it would be more work and money than just buying a standard AK rifle. that being said, i got my eye on this

IAC47WOOD.jpg

im thinking that if i save enough money, i can get that and a draco in the same order. ive never bought 2 firearms at once, i think doing it with AKs would be a great start. lol

Congrats on the purchase.

I envy you since it will be a while before I get mine :(

I totally want one of those PTR pistol, it would look super sexy with a retractable stock on it. The only thing is that I don't know how accurate a .308 would be in a 10" barrel.

It would look something like this :)

PTR91ParatrooperSBR.jpg

I have been talking to a rep at PTR. He explained that they have a new chamber design that completely rectifies the ammo issues but you have to get one in the high 7000s and to be sure get one that is 8000 or higher.

I have a very ambitious PTR collection planned. I'll start with two PTR-91s and if I like them I'll get a PTR-91 PDW and then move onto the Super Sniper

Edited by Boba Debt

As elvis said, as long as you make the barrel 16" or more before adding the stock, it's perfectly legal.

Elvis, where you gettin all them toys? and where ya going shooting at Saturday, if it don't rain, I may look you up.

Jojo's on 5th ave south. I ordered the ptr from a guy in MI, though. I'll be down on lakeshore at my shooting spot, its my buddy's birthday, I think a bunch of us are going out. I tried to get him to come out last weekend, but he was building an herb garden. Pussy.

Buy a ridiculous amount of mags while they are cheap.

Yeah, I've been buying them since before I had the gun. I'm up to 17, I think I'm shooting for 30 though, just to be ridiculous. I did score a OD green wide handguard for less than $40 locally today, so I'm pretty stoked about that. My mom is getting me a carry handle and ejection port deflector for my birthday on 04/01, after that, bipod, then I'm going to chill out. I gotta start saving for another S12, which will get the SBS treatment.

Shit, I can get 11 AK mags for $100 out the door at the shop down the street. They've got a few of these giant wood crates, loaded up with mags.

i hate to sound like a broken record, but man, im jealous of you guys who live in cool states that allow high capacity mags. the only thing im allowed to have is 10 rounds mags, and if i want the ones that look like oldschool steel AK mags, they're expensive cause they are modified 30 round mags. same goes for AR mags...

i really gotta move to nevada and get some 30 round mags. il seriously be calling atlantic the same day i move out of california

i really gotta move to nevada and get some 30 round mags. il seriously be calling atlantic the same day i move out of california

I moved from NY to SC last July. I never bothered to get a NY "pistol permit" (needed to even own a handgun in NY). So when I moved to SC, I obviously had to switch my driver's license over to SC. Literally about an hour after doing that........I went to a gunstore, paid for and walked out with my very first handgun! No waiting periods, no "pistol permit", no "purchase tickets", none of that BS.

Coming from a ban state like NY or Cali just makes you appreciate the freedom that much more, once you get to experience it. :super:

I moved from NY to SC last July. I never bothered to get a NY "pistol permit" (needed to even own a handgun in NY). So when I moved to SC, I obviously had to switch my driver's license over to SC. Literally about an hour after doing that........I went to a gunstore, paid for and walked out with my very first handgun! No waiting periods, no "pistol permit", no "purchase tickets", none of that BS.

Coming from a ban state like NY or Cali just makes you appreciate the freedom that much more, once you get to experience it. :super:

oh man, i can only imagine. no bullet buttons, high capacity mags. i been thinking about how cool it would be to get an MG42 also. there are so many exotic firearms i will buy once i move to a state with better gun laws

oh man, i can only imagine. no bullet buttons, high capacity mags. i been thinking about how cool it would be to get an MG42 also. there are so many exotic firearms i will buy once i move to a state with better gun laws

If you are looking at a Class III MG-42, save your pennies! I think my friend paid around $27K for his.

If you are looking at a Class III MG-42, save your pennies! I think my friend paid around $27K for his.

well, class III would be cool, but i can only imagine how expensive it would be to get all the paperwork sorted out. so id be content with a semi auto version