Saiga "Masterkey"

Just out of curiosity.. has anyone ever made an underbarrel attached shotgun like the KAC Masterkey out of an S12? Pics would be great. These 6" builds that were posted recently look like they would be perfect, if you can get the mount to hold up.

Edited by sickness

Just out of curiosity.. has anyone ever made an underbarrel attached shotgun like the KAC Masterkey out of an S12? Pics would be great.

whad'oya live under a rock?:lolol:

post-24335-0-98804300-1302279733_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZG
  • Like 2

That would be something to lug around! Might as well carry something belt fed in 7.62

its not very practical for civilian use or to lug around in a SHTF type situation, which is why on the show it was for swat??or something similar. Its main use is for breaching doors. other than that its probably more weight than its worth. cool looking though.

Just out of curiosity.. has anyone ever made an underbarrel attached shotgun like the KAC Masterkey out of an S12? Pics would be great.

They REALLY fucked up on that one...Imagine if they would have done it the right way and used a converted Saiga! There would be a badass pistol grip right there (preferably a hogue) and it would give you an awesome forward grip, making the platform that much easier to handle...

They REALLY fucked up on that one...Imagine if they would have done it the right way and used a converted Saiga! There would be a badass pistol grip right there (preferably a hogue) and it would give you an awesome forward grip, making the platform that much easier to handle...

aside from probably being heavy, I think its a damn good job. They created thier own mount for it and entertained me at the same time. Not sure if a pistol grip would be necessary, but that has to do with personal preference. None of these have a PG:

post-24335-0-23323300-1302287798_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-37805300-1302287799_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-44738200-1302287800_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-48898300-1302287801_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZG

Yeah, I dunno about that. The mount seats the S12 a bit low. There is no room on the mag to use as a handle. Looks like their mount is just an ARMS type cammed mount screwed into a quad rail.. I seriously doubt it would handle repeated firing.. and even if it did, most of the quad rail will remain unused .. which just adds a tremendous amount of weight no reason..

Having used a Masterkey I can say that while they do add weight it is more the balance that is a problem. One thing that makes it easier to handle is to use an A2 style butt on the AR that you can load down with lead shot, or a pouch with a mag on the side. Helps to make the gun feel less muzzle heavy by shifting the center of gravity more into your shoulder. Of course, you didn't want to hike with it so much, but it made pointing it much easier. Still a PITA to pump the action though.

Its a shame this was executed so poorly.. because the S12 has a lot of potential in this regard, I think.

Yes, Red Jacket Firearms makes one. It was featured on "Sons of Guns". I believe there is a picture on their website.

I don't watch TV, generally speaking. I used to not even watch the news at all. Gives me loads of time to work on my various hobbies. Though it does make for awkward moments at times. Like when I had no idea what had happened on 9/11 until a friend told me over dinner that night. I started watching 30 minutes of news every day after that.

How about this?

post-22191-0-69139000-1302308634_thumb.jpg

Doug,

Always gotta feed my inferiority complex, huh?

seriously - that looks good - what is the barrel length?

And, if you guys could put together a gallery page on your site for some of us to drool over, that would be cool.

Edited by mark mallek

I still don't see a need for such a big masterkey. A Serbu Super Shorty with a breacher brake or standoff device would suffice IMO without all the weight. If you've ever cleared rooms before, the less weight on the weapon the better it is for you to cover your sector. Swinging a carbine with a magazine fed shotty around when violence of action and speed are crucial doesn't make sense. It would be like having your machinegunner in your stack. You'd have to cover his sector as well as he would be too slow to get on target.

• Like 1

It could be used with nonlethals as a warning shot or proof of escalation of force.

If you are breaching a door, it kind of went past that escalation of force threshold though and there is no way I'm entering the "Fatal Funnel" armed with nonlethals.

It could be used with nonlethals as a warning shot or proof of escalation of force.

If you are breaching a door, it kind of went past that escalation of force threshold though and there is no way I'm entering the "Fatal Funnel" armed with nonlethals.

I disagree. That is why you have the carbine. Having non-lethals instantly available as well gives police better options.. unless you are just operating as some sort of thug, or are the police force of a dictator or some such. Then you don't really care.

But this is not the best solution for easily switching between LTL and live ammo. I'm a fan of the dual-tube shotgun idea for this, though I don't believe any of the current designs really work for this application in particular. You'd need something specifically designed with some additional safety mechanisms to help alleviate the potential of the gun being on the wrong setting.

Edited by sickness

Looks like their mount is just an ARMS type cammed mount screwed into a quad rail.. I seriously doubt it would handle repeated firing..

correct, and Murphys Law says it will fail at the worst possible moment. Put 300 rounds through it without adjusting or tightening anything and MAYBE i would trust it in an entry situation.

While I'll never argue against using a Saiga...and I thought the overall "Masterkey" was cool...I think a more practical breacher would have been making something similiar to the "kill stick" but refined and in 12 or maybe 20 gauge, mounted under an M4. The overall package would be smaller, lighter, and easier to maneuver.

Still I thought the "Masterkey" was awesome...

The Saiga master key is awesome. There is no real reason a "Master Key" should have to be light and the concept almost guarantees it's going to be a bit cumbersome. If it is determined that a master key is needed for a particular situation a Saiga version would serve you better than any pump shotty (more lead down range fast). Besides, no one is going to be marching miles with it anyway.

Edited by Bridis