I need some help on this. Has anyone shot the Hornady SST slug? I bought some when I saw them in the store Impulse buy lol they look bad ass! but when i got home I saw the "For rifled barrels only" So is that just for there stats, or can this damage my S12?

Thanks for any thoughts on this

WSProdLG_Hornady8623.jpg

They wont damage your barrel but they will tumble in air destroying accuracy I shot 20 thru mine for the hell of it and u can see where they hit sideways on the target. I was trying all kinds of slugs. No sabots are worth a shit without rifleing.

Edited by kindapointless

I need some help on this. Has anyone shot the Hornady SST slug? I bought some when I saw them in the store Impulse buy lol they look bad ass! but when i got home I saw the "For rifled barrels only" So is that just for there stats, or can this damage my S12?

Thanks for any thoughts on this

WSProdLG_Hornady8623.jpg

No damage - just expensive for worthless accuracy.

You could try putting a rifled choke extension on your S12.. won't be as good as a real rifled bore, but it might put enough spin on them to at least prevent immediate tumbling.

Agreed they look mean, someone needs to make a rifled slug with a ballistic tip.

Or a rifled barrel for Saigas. Those Sabots in a rifled barrel has crazy accuracy and range for a shotgun round!

My thoughts exactly ! Surely one of our business members would be up for the challenge ? What a game changer that would be !!! Still plenty of time before next season !! I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been discussed in the past . But maybe it's due for a second look .

Most 2-3/4 rifled slugs are fairly accurate with a decent sight set up , a three inch group at 100 yards is easily achievable . But firing a lighter round "sabot round" out of a rifled barrel would not only improve accuracy but drastically improve the trajectory , and effective range . I'd would also be interested to see how much a putting a point on a slug would improve it . A rifled slug by design has a terrible ballistic coefficient because the friction with the air against the rifleings on the slug which is what makes it spiral thus stabilizing it .

Most 2-3/4 rifled slugs are fairly accurate with a decent sight set up , a three inch group at 100 yards is easily achievable . But firing a lighter round "sabot round" out of a rifled barrel would not only improve accuracy but drastically improve the trajectory , and effective range . I'd would also be interested to see how much a putting a point on a slug would improve it . A rifled slug by design has a terrible ballistic coefficient because the friction with the air against the rifleings on the slug which is what makes it spiral thus stabilizing it .

That slug fires a bullet designed for muzzleloaders....which are rifled for a reason. No sabot slug will be accurate out of a smooth barrel.

If you ARE firing them just for fun, don't fire them through a choke!

As for range, with appropriate sights in an accurized gun, the SST slug is accurate enough for 200 yard shots if you know to compensate for drop.

The Lyman slug mold casts a pretty mean 1oz slug. Fairly accurate too, and MUCH cheaper than buying factory loads.

A Lee Load-ALL is about $35, the slug mold is ~$15 iirc.

Add loading data from the Web, primers, wads, powder and you're ready to rock!