Thinking about buying a Semi-Auto RPK

Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying a Semi-Auto RPK lately. I like the idea of greater range and a heavier barrel and they're going for about what I picked up S-12 for(yes during the O-scare, lol).

Any thoughts?

id say do it. all the ones in my area have been going for over or around 800 bucks. plus we may just have to put up with this moron in office for another 4 years, and if so, there may be another ban on such weapons.

They are a lot of fun to shoot, for me even more than a regular 74 when using irons. Something about the ergo's of the bipod just do it for me. A friend has an AES10B also and it's almost as fun as the RPK74.

Actually I've been trying hard not to get into the RPK game, just like Krink's you can end up sinking a lot of money into them really fast. I know I'd end up going scope rail + 1P29 optic for mine if I got one and that's another $900 bucks.

Here's PatriaPovo's new RPK74, love this gun

post-3-0-20053600-1307280633_thumb.jpg

Z

im guessing if someone cut the barrel to 16 inches, it would still be more accurate than your average AK due to the thicker receiver?

also wondering if its possible to put a brake on it, due to the thicker barrel,,,

these things ive never seen done before,,, curious to see

• 3 weeks later...

What are you guys that have an RPK getting for accuracy and at what yardages?

I have a Yugo M72 built on a Century receiver. It has no problems hitting the steel target at 300yds at the range every time. I'm thinking the size of the target is roughly 2 ft wide and a foot tall, I know that doesn't sound impressive but its consistent at that range. If I settle down and take my time I can hit the same target at 400yds. This is all using Barnual 7.62x39

Nice Joe,

The specs have it ranged for 1000yds/meters? If I could hit a head sized target at 4-500yards and body sized at 7-800yrds, I'd be clam happy. Problem, finding somewhere in SW Ohio with more than a 3-400yrd range, lol.

Nice Joe,

The specs have it ranged for 1000yds/meters? If I could hit a head sized target at 4-500yards and body sized at 7-800yrds, I'd be clam happy. Problem, finding somewhere in SW Ohio with more than a 3-400yrd range, lol.

id rather be able to do so consistantly. not just on one shooting session. thats a pretty good range. and for the 5.45, its such a light bullet that cross winds may take its toll out past 500 yds. assuming you can get that range. funny how these things work, but i think the man that got the most recent long range kill over seas was using a mcmillian tac 50 at a mile and a half and had almost zero crosswind. conditions were almost perfect from what i read. but thats rare. even with a heavy bullet like the .50 bmg.

but not to say that the rpk wont do it. but the sights on my sgl go out to 1000 meters. and i dont think i could hit a target effectivley at that range with a 16" barrel. but ya never know. i just wouldnt expect miracles.

Nice Joe,

The major limit there would be iron sights, if you had a scope rail (my M72 doesn't ) you could mount up an optic to help you see better. The irons are ranged out to 1000 meters, but the furthest range I've tried is 500 yards and I didn't do very well due to the iron sights.

The longer, heavier barrel helps out alot compared to the shorter 16" standard AKs.

That barrel is a large part of the reason I'm hoping to get a Romy RPK. Also, it has the ability of being a (semi-auto) MBR/SSW. I figure if I really want to do long range sniping, I'll go bolt action. My Dad has a 7mm Mag that'll really reach out there so, we're covered.

Can you get Flash Supressors/Muzzle Breaks for them?

Edited by BpS12

No varification yet, but here's something I found on a site about the Irapi Tabuk sniper rifle.

"The Tabuk, like the RPK, has a provision for muzzle attachments in the typical Russian thread pattern of 14x1mm left hand thread, which means that it can accept several variations of Soviet flash hiders and muzzle brakes, as well as Soviet designed sound suppression devices."

The site is....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabuk_Sniper_Rifle

Some goodinfo there.

Thats' good to know. Going to the Gunshow tomorrow. There's always one there, so hopefully it'll be there tomorrow. I've been working my backside off the last 3 weeks, so lots of cash and my Bday is comeing up. So, NO EXCUSES!!! :lolol:

Well, wish me luck anyway, lol.

Today was a near bust. The guy I was hopeing would be there, wasn't :cryss: . But picked up a few good items. I do think I figured out who the guy is and gave him a call. Not home, but wife took a message. Hopefully they're on good terms, lol. Waiting, impatiently(lol) for a call tonight or tomorrow. If he's got one, I be happy to go get it. Otherwise, I'll just keep squirreling money away.

Kool Deussne,

There was one at the gunshow but the guy wanted $900 for it and it looked more like the Yugo than the Romy I've been drooling over. Solid wood stock, light colored furniture and I never got a good look at the barrel or the numbers on it.

At any rate, the "local" dealer for CAI finally called me back and said he doesn't have any in stock but can get some. I'm to call him back this evening. Now hopefully he's asking what they've been advertised for and not $900.

I have been wanting one for a while but the S-12's have been eating all my cash. I have 2 Nodak Spud RPK 74 receivers but no parts kit yet. I should have bought a Yugo M72 when they were alot cheaper but at that time I didn't want anything 7.62X39 now that I got a M-92 I wish I had one, in time I will but the 74's come first.

Well I got it, :lolol:

It came with a slant break which suprised me. I've already pull the bipod off, gods that thing was heavy. I've switched out the grip, tapped on a slip on buttpad and managed to get a short rail and folding foregrip attached(tendonitis issues). I've got a scope and side mount for it but wanted to play with the irons first. It came with a Bulgy Poly 40rnd mag and a steel 40rndr.

The ergonomics are killing me after being used to a Bullpup. Can't wait to do her, but promised I'd get the S12 finished first.

post-15573-0-84813500-1308625132_thumb.jpg

Nice, did it come with a folding stock like that or did you put that on yourself? I went to pick up my M72 yesterday and the gun shop gave me some wierd excuse about not having the owner there that day so they could not transfer it to me..... Sooo.. I'm going to try today and hopefully not get another excuse.. :) I thought about doing a tabuk conversion out of it, but after much contemplation I decided to just go with the classic look. I am planning on getting new furniture for it from Ironwood designs and a milled scope rail so that I can put a nice Russian red dot on it.