having problems with my saiga conversion

First off I can not get this bolt hold open spring to stay in place. I get to stay in place then I move the gun a little bit and it falls out. MAD!!!

trxtrgword.jpg

Second this part on my tapco trigger set is too wide. The axis pin will not go all the way through. I tried with the original one and it works fine, guess I am going to have to grind it down.

Also I bought the axis pin retaining plate for carolina shooters, and it seems like it only holds one pin in, and my trigger axis pin keeps coming lose. nvm looks like it works on the trigger axis pin but if it moved around too much looks like it could come lose.

Edited by stephenlc

Where are you? I have noticed that when people have their state listed on their profile, they get offers for assistance from time to time when they have an issue. I would do it for you or show you what to do if you are near Jax, FL.

CSS has conversion vids on you tube. these helped me alot. if you do not have a vice, i suggest picking one up. it can save you a lot of swearing.

about the spring. some use string run through the spring loop. then fed down through the BHO slot.

i used the tapco fire control parts. these should work without mods.

cannot help with the retaining plate. i used the sheapards hook. however, many here prefer the plate. if you don't find a vid i would do a search here on it.

Where are you? I have noticed that when people have their state listed on their profile, they get offers for assistance from time to time when they have an issue. I would do it for you or show you what to do if you are near Jax, FL.

Houston, Texas.

CSS has conversion vids on you tube. these helped me alot. if you do not have a vice, i suggest picking one up. it can save you a lot of swearing.

about the spring. some use string run through the spring loop. then fed down through the BHO slot.

i used the tapco fire control parts. these should work without mods.

cannot help with the retaining plate. i used the sheapards hook. however, many here prefer the plate. if you don't find a vid i would do a search here on it.

Yeah I found there old video. They say you have to cut 50/1000 to work with the manual bolt open, i guess I have the non-specific saiga 12 fire control group. Lol, I broke my spring bending it too much. Im gonna see if I can make one tomorrow, see how that goes. Anybody have a close up of there manual bolt open if they notched it or anything like that so the spring would stay put.

Edited by stephenlc

I've always done the same thing as Dan Axe, use a piece of dental floss and run it up, through the hole in the BHO spring, then back down through the slot. All you have to do is tug down while pushing the axis pin in and the spring will self-align. Make sure you notch the BHO lever too.

must have gotten lucky, took me all of 90 seconds to do it with needle nose pliers like Greg does in the vid... I think the trick is haveing thin enough pliers... one set with a longer nose was too wide, switched to a second set that was bout 1/2 inch shorter and true NEEDLE nose... baddaboom baddabing done.

Strangely enough, the hardest part for me was getting the damn pin on back of the safty to line up with the hole after I was done with everything else... that alone took me almost 20 minuts.

First off I can not get this bolt hold open spring to stay in place. I get to stay in place then I move the gun a little bit and it falls out. MAD!!!

Notch the BHO's Dog-ear like I do in GlassBolt & the spring won't fall off during installation, OR while shooting;

Untitled-5.jpg

Second this part on my tapco trigger set is too wide. The axis pin will not go all the way through. I tried with the original one and it works fine, guess I am going to have to grind it down.

The axis of the hammer should be 1.01"

Remove material from the right side of the hammer's axis to get it there.

Notch the BHO's Dog-ear like I do in GlassBolt & the spring won't fall off during installation, OR while shooting;

Untitled-5.jpg

okay i finished with a safety pin I bought at home depot for the bolt hold open spring. Not sure what to think everything seems rough. The bolt doesn't move very freely, seems like everything is grabbing.(EDIT) - bolt hitting my home depot spring.(EDIT) - screw it, don't really need it.

Edited by stephenlc

Untitled-5.jpg

okay i finished with a safety pin I bought at home depot for the bolt hold open spring. Not sure what to think everything seems rough. The bolt doesn't move very freely, seems like everything is grabbing.(EDIT) - bolt hitting my home depot spring.

I'm confused.

What are you doing putting home depot springs in your russian gun?

The BHO spring that came with the gun or one you can get from CSS should suffice.

Also, if using any US made hammer ANY US MADE HAMMER in an S-12 it must be properly profiled otherwise it'll add a lot of drag.

This is something else included in GlassBolt.

Do be careful if attempting the hammer profile though.

being as it's part of the fire control group many issues can arrise if not done right & matched to the carrier.

Matching the stock hammer's profile kinda works, but be sure to check the depth of engagement of the hammer into the disconnecter.

ALSO

On Arsenal FCGs, the trigger's hook is MUCH higher than on a Tapco FCG.

This places the hammer up quite a bit higher than the tapco & when hand cycling, the carrier wants to grab on the hammer.

This isn't an issue when firing, being as the hammer is lower in the disconnecter as the carrier [passes over it, however when the hammer is in the hook, hand cycling is much rougher with a Arsenal FCG in an S-12.

I used the sg922 fcg from Arsenal in my build and had no problems with it. However I did have to take some metal off a part of my safety lever so it would clear the disconnector. Other than that I made a notch on my bho Lever to ease insertion. Also my axis pin hole was misaligned so I had to mod it to make it fit right.