Russian magwell installation!!!

I'm trying to find instruction on installing a Russian magwell from rusmilitary onto my saiga, no luck so far. Chapinator at http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/41053-russian-magwell-magazines/ describes it best

"The holes in the factory magwell come nowhere near lining up with my mag release pin. Compounded with this issue is the factory magwell set in place "as is" without any modifying sits to far back, so that my mag release lever is not capable of rotating far enough forward to release the mag. The mag release lever runs into the factory magwell. It looks as though I will have to grind away at the front lip of the existing magwell in order to slide the factory magwell forward allowing for the proper clearances. The holes in the rear tabs where the mag release pin goes presents another problem. Even if the magwell is slid forward, the holes appear to be quite high. It is my thoughts that either I'd have to drill new holes in the tabs, or file down the factory magwell tabs. I am extremely hesitant about mutilating either the receiver or the factory magwell without first collecting any insight the members of this forum may have. What I thought was going to be a relatively easy install is turning into a nightmare."

Anyone who already had some experience with this and could help me out or point me to a solution would be much appreciated.

what all tools did you use?

I'm not seeing anything too complicated there.

I never said it was complicated. I had fun myself.

Do you realize there are hundreds of people reading this forum every day who are afraid to just drill a freakin hole?

As nonchalant as I came off, I'm sure I'll be sending you a couple PMs when I'm trying to install my magwell :lolol:

Not for the squeamish or feint of heart.......

Russian shotgun, Russian grip, Russian magwell.... you see where this is going right?

Where the hell is the Russian AK100 stock?

ETA: You are so right about the hole drilling thing :lolol:

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1

Russian shotgun, Russian grip, Russian magwell.... you see where this is going right?

The AK100 stock has to be murderous on a shotgun, I know my fixed 74 stock is horrible.

It works tremendous on the rifles where the recoil is minimal, and I love it on my 74M, but I'm switching to an AR stock on my S12. My Ver.030 will have the 100 polyfolder though for the sake of authenticity. Izzy should come up with a better stock like Molot did for the VEPR.

What... you mean like this? :smoke:

post-1293-0-33785200-1306213114_thumb.jpg post-1293-0-54110800-1306213247_thumb.jpg

Got some other plans for that.... :super:

• Like 2

The AK100 stock has to be murderous on a shotgun, I know my fixed 74 stock is horrible.

It works tremendous on the rifles where the recoil is minimal, and I love it on my 74M, but I'm switching to an AR stock on my S12. My Ver.030 will have the 100 polyfolder though for the sake of authenticity. Izzy should come up with a better stock like Molot did for the VEPR.

It is not bad at all. On a level with a regular fixed stock. I guess it depends on how recoil sensitive you are, I like shooting 12 gauge shotguns, and I think the Saiga kicks less than any other semi auto shotgun I have shot.

It is not bad at all. On a level with a regular fixed stock. I guess it depends on how recoil sensitive you are, I like shooting 12 gauge shotguns, and I think the Saiga kicks less than any other semi auto shotgun I have shot.

You can also add a grenade launching butt pad to it for when you want to shoot slugs or magnum buck.

• 1 month later...

I just installed a Russian magwell on my 2008 S12.

Unlike Cobra's experience (the designs may be different now) I didn't have to mod my ejector block. Just needed to cut the receiver sheet steel around it, to make room for the "arms" of the magwell. So, my experience was that it was LESS invasive than Cobra's pictures would suggest. Took me about an hour and twenty minutes to do, and I'm not a machinist.

So, for those of you that want to go for it, it's not by any means impossible to do with fairly normal tools and some patience.

If this counts as a necropost, I'm sorry.

S.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Finished, now I can use my Molot Vepr 12 mags...Thank you Cobra.

That's an 8 + 2 mag I have on.

post-33957-0-66785400-1312234817_thumb.jpg

By the way I have an original Saiga12 5 round mag for sale, used only once.

post-33957-0-02171000-1312234846_thumb.jpg

How much delivered for the 5-rounder?

ETA: That does look really cool though. I love to see home shop jobs turn out well!

Edited by physicsnerd

That will be 75 usd total. Please note, US customs might add a small fee. Although I never had any extras when buying from or sending to the US for items under 100 dollars

Where the heck did you get the VEPR mags at? Are you outside the US?

I'm in Greece, original molot and saiga mags are ease to get.

• 2 months later...

You have to cut big notches on either side of the mag catch, and also notch out the front.

post-1293-0-99926300-1306176776_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-63171000-1306176791_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-29949300-1306176811_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-23693700-1306176831_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-60409800-1306177005_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-15434600-1306177021_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-86982000-1306177037_thumb.jpg

So you did not make the opening in the receiver larger but only but the notches in???

In another post it was mentioned that the opening has to be extended in the fron

It's been so long since I installed mine I can't remember. The plan I was following did say to cut it out there, but I'm not sure if I had to in order to fit the magwell. I seem to remember leaving that in case I ever wanted to use regular rock and lock mags again in the future. Maybe someone else will chime in with a definite answer.

It's been so long since I installed mine I can't remember. The plan I was following did say to cut it out there, but I'm not sure if I had to in order to fit the magwell. I seem to remember leaving that in case I ever wanted to use regular rock and lock mags again in the future. Maybe someone else will chime in with a definite answer.

Thx for the info.

so I basically have to try to line up from the back so to speak. Meaning lining up the holes on the magwell with the holes on the magcatch so that the pin can get through right?

Do you remember if you removed any material from the 2 "ears" on the magwell or only moved the notches in the receiver. On my magwell thos ears are pretty big meaning there is a lot of material until the holes.

Yes, the hole in the receiver must be extended from the front in order to install the magwell. Once you cut the receiver, there is NO going back to non-magwell magazines. So, if you aren't comfortable cutting your receiver I'd probably just have a gunsmith or someone knowledgable in the install to do it.

Yes, the hole in the receiver must be extended from the front in order to install the magwell. Once you cut the receiver, there is NO going back to non-magwell magazines. So, if you aren't comfortable cutting your receiver I'd probably just have a gunsmith or someone knowledgable in the install to do it.

I cannot do it myself as I am too clumsy for that big_smile.gif but I do have a prototype build department in my business unit. They have alll the tools and more and also the people who can do it. Just need to know exactly what has to be done so that I can tell them

That will be 75 usd total. Please note, US customs might add a small fee. Although I never had any extras when buying from or sending to the US for items under 100 dollars
Where the heck did you get the VEPR mags at? Are you outside the US?
I'm in Greece, original molot and saiga mags are ease to get.

Hey Saigano, how much do the Molot and Saiga mags cost (in US dollars) there in Greece?