I havent handled a rifle with a co-witness setup before and ive noticed a lot of rifles have that particular setup. I just bought a S-223 and im researching different sighting options and this keeps popping up. What are the benefits?

Do they work well with tech sights on an ultimak rail? Also ive found a reasonably priced micro dot from Primary Arms, anybody have any feedback?

I have a Primary Arms micro dot on my Ar and it has been very reliable. I don't have a cowitness set-up yet as my AR was the Smith & Wesson M&P15 OR. I am going to get some cheap BUIS though. I like the micro dot so much I'm seriously considering buying 2 more for a couple of my other rifles.

I've got one. Primary arms is fine for play guns, it's not ideal for guns you might need in a fight. The guy running primary arms says that the cheap Chinese unit isn't nearly as well sealed as an aimpoint, isn't nearly as shock resistant as an aimpoint, and has a terrible battery life compared to an aimpoint. But it is cheap and works fine within it's limits.

I thought they addressed the seal in the newer Gen?

Yes, among other things.

Another thing about co-witness, should your optic go down, and you need to use iron sights, you are using the same cheek weld and rifle position that you are used to.

The only thing that I will add regarding co-witnessing is that if one sight gets knocked hard and loses zero or has to come off to do something to it or the weapon, you can easily sight it back in off of the other sight.

It creates a redundancy in your setup that allows maximum reliability when using a dot optic (which adds ease of low light shooting and speedy target acquisition).

Here's something that I don't think anyone has mentioned: Constantly removing an optic and putting it back on in order to switch between irons and the optic eventually causes wandering zero, and the locking mechanism to have to be adjusted. In my case, the side mount (a K-Var KV-04S) eventually loosened up and slid off the rifle when the gun was sitting upright. With a co-witnessed setup, there is generally no need to ever remove the optic.

Redundancy would be the only reason. I have an aimpoint comp m4 the m68 military cco and its one brutaly tough optic with insaine battery life. I accidentaly left it on for a week in the gunsafe and it was still bright and on the same battery today and that was about Two months ago. Get a good optic limit your need to utilize redundant systems. Cowitnessing folows the condom rule, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Edited by MrBoomstick

An M4 has an insane battery life. I know people who deliberately leave the one on their HD gun on all the time, and change the battery once a year or so.

haha holy shit! I like this. I always go cheap with optics for some reason and always end up leaving the dot on and the battery burning out on me right when I get to the range. Thanks for the imput guys. Im still on the fence about doing this setup but now I have some info to refer to. I might end up just going with the tech sights and a front tritium sight.

Co-witness is great if you have good vision, but for those of us who can no longer see Irons, then it is still a problem. I had Lasik and lost my near vision, slowly coming back.

Like some of the other guys have said, redundancy is the reason. For my end of world rifle, I run a Trijicon TR-21, which I have had on the gun for about 6 years and a canted (45 degree off the rail) Docter 7 MOA Red Dot Reflex optic, sighted in for 100 yards. The Docter battery life is good for over a year with the cover off and the Trijicon lasts a lifetime.

Really fast set up and the best of both worlds. The red dot mount is by Matt Burkett. Great unit.

Jack