All APs are NOT illegal, only specific rounds. Look it up.

Well, armor piercing ammo for handguns is outright illegal. The issue is the definition. Generally any cartridge a handgun can fire, even a lot of rifle cartridges like 7.62x39 count since handguns have been made in just about any caliber, is considered handgun ammunition, except for 5.56 NATO. Also specific materials can not be used to make 100% of a round, and the last part is a FMJ round who's jacket consists of more than 25% of a rounds wieght.

The rounds linked are clearly handgun ammunition and are made of brass, which is one of the restricted materials, and they appear to be 100% or close to 100% brass, they would be considered armor piercing ammunition, which is illegal.

Edited by fauxknight

The CTS and the C2F are clearly not designed to be armor piercing, they should be legal. I'd stick to decent hollow points though for personal defense.

I'd like to retract this statement. Per my above post these are handgun rounds that appear to be 100% brass, regardless of intent by 921 definition that makes them armor piercing, and thus illegal.

If you are NOT a (FFL) licensee under the Gun Control Act (an individual):

It is: ok to OWN AP ammo

ok to SELL AP ammo

ok to BUY AP ammo

ok to SHOOT AP ammo

NOT ok to MAKE AP ammo (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7))

NOT ok to IMPORT AP ammo (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7))

The definition of AP ammo is at 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17):

"(B) The term `armor piercing ammunition' means-

(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and

which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other

substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass,

bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and

intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25

percent of the total weight of the projectile.4) CONSTRUCTION - The bullet must either have a core made ENTIRELY out

of one or more of the listed metals, or be a full jacketed type bullet

with a jacket comprising more that 25% of its weight.

5) Hardness of the bullet is irrelevant.

6) Ability to actually penetrate any kind of soft body armor is irrelevant.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_rifle_armor_piercing_ammo_illegal_to_own#ixzz1PdK2D04O

The CTS and the C2F are clearly not designed to be armor piercing, they should be legal. I'd stick to decent hollow points though for personal defense.

I'd like to retract this statement. Per my above post these are handgun rounds that appear to be 100% brass, regardless of intent by 921 definition that makes them armor piercing, and thus illegal.

In the fucked up state of NY... you may own ANY bullet you want. The number of them you can pop in a firearm without a prebnan mag may be 10 or less... but you can stick ANY bullets you want in your guns!

:smoke:

Trying to find the actual restrictions on armor piercing, the definition is one thing, what you are allowed to do with it is another. Under 929 use of armor piercing ammo during a drug related crime is illegal.

922 says any sale of armor piercing ammunition must be recorded the same as a firearms sale. It also says no importing unless:

(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the

United States, any department or agency of the United States,

any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision

of a State;

(B ) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of

exportation; or

(C ) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for

the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been

authorized by the Attorney General;

and no manufacturing unless:

(A) is for the use of the United States, any department or

agency of the United States, any State, or any department,

agency, or political subdivision of a State;

(B ) is for the purpose of exportation; or

(c ) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has

been authorized by the Attorney General; (!1)

What I see is that those who are allowed to manufacture and import armor piercing ammo (type 10 and 11 respectively) can not do so with the intention of selling to a private individual. The sale of any armor piercing ammo must be put in a record book and kept for 2 years, which isn't a very long time. What happens after the ammo is sold to a legitimate agency and how this relates to individuals being able to buy and use it I have no idea. Bottom line is that I'll just stay away from anything that could be a problem, though I might get some APDS or solid steel slugs for my 12 guage (from Paraklese), that shit is legal cause it ain't handgun ammo!

Edited by fauxknight

I bought an entire 50 cal ammo can full of 625 unloaded 50 BMG API bullets here in NY... not a problem in NY... I can have all the AP, incendiary, tracer, API, APIT, black tip AP, purple tip... red tip, silver tip, etc... you want it, you can have it in NY... yes... Really.

That is true... to a point... I have seen a couple chambered in that specific caliber... :up:

Regardless... NY has no laws against any ammo. Maybe while comitting crimes... but not normally...

What about the Barnes bullets? They are one piece metal.

I don't think Barnes is a problem in any state! In CA it is required in S. CA, if you are hunting or shooting in Condor areas(no lead allowed). I don't live in S. CA, and lead is just fine where I live in N. CA! FOR NOW!

I think the Barnes guilding metal which does expand is not an issue.

Hell, you can buy 'XM855' 5.56NATO ammo off the shelf at Midway or Cabela's! M855 is armor piercing (62gr FMJ, steel core w/ lead filler), but it's made in the US.

I would buy frangible ammo if you live in an apartment. You know, the stuff designed to only penetrate one sheet of drywall. No stray shots leaving your room and going into your neighbors place that way.

• 2 months later...

On the Federal level, Handgun Ammo that meets certain performance and material characteristics are considered to be Armor Piercing, and are restricted, as in no sales to the public. Also included are .308 Armor Piercing and 7.62 x 39mm steel core rounds.

Certain states, such as CT, ban possession of all Armor Piercing rounds, HG and Rifle. FL bans possession of Armor Piercing HG, .308, and 7.62 x 39. Rifle Ammunition can be steel core, but not be classified as Armor Piercing. For example, ALL milsurp .50 BMG projectiles available on the market have steel cores. However, while the .50 BMG ball has a mild steel core, the black tip .50 cal AP has a hardened core. They make really good center punches