wow, rust forming only after 3 hours and 200 rounds??

I am guessing that that rust will come right out, if it even is rust. Did you check it before you shot?

yeah it came right out with some water, and basic cleaning procedure.

F1010718.jpg

checked it the night before, wasnt there. been checking often ever since i made a switch to exclusively milsurp ammo a few months ago. thankfully its never reached the internals or bore.

if it isnt rust what is it then? ive heard everything regarding this corrosive spamcan stuff, from its not corrosive to it being highly corrosive. even have someone else insisting yugo and 5.45 milsurp is not corrosive. would be good if i knew once and for all if its ok to let it sit a week (recent busy schedule, cleaning a pain in the ass & time consuming), without finding out for myself if rust has spread throughout the rifle.

I'm assuming you've had the pleasure of dealing with Lancaster also :ded:

I wont make that same mistake twice :deadhorse:

sshhh..... those are just internet myths! 000.gif

Edited by Chester (The Truth) Durda

I am guessing that that rust will come right out, if it even is rust. Did you check it before you shot?

yeah it came right out with some water, and basic cleaning procedure.

checked it the night before, wasnt there.

if it isnt rust what is it then? ive heard everything regarding this corrosive spamcan stuff, from its not corrosive to it being highly corrosive. would be good if i knew once and for all if its ok to let it sit a week (recent busy schedule), without finding out for myself if rust has spread throughout the rifle.

I'm assuming you've had the pleasure of dealing with Lancaster also :ded:

I wont make that same mistake twice :deadhorse:

sshhh..... those are just internet myths! 000.gif

Close relative?

post-22193-0-53700700-1308528194_thumb.jpg

post-22193-0-36278000-1308528201_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

i dont always come in to work

but when i do, im selling my CNC machine on ebay

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=electron3000&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:MEFSX:FDBK

Good one....

didnt mean to derail your thread.....

I've been told to put a little windex+water down the barrel after shooting milsurp to help protect for a few hours until you have a chance to clean it properly

i dont always come in to work

but when i do, im selling my CNC machine on ebay

http://feedback.ebay...STRK:MEFSX:FDBK

Good one....

didnt mean to derail your thread.....

I've been told to put a little windex+water down the barrel after shooting milsurp to help protect for a few hours until you have a chance to clean it properly

no problems at all :)

i did the same, then gunslick foam cleaner, clp, and little rem oil. its all gone now (see above pic). usually clean right after shooting. those pics were taken a few hours ago...

ive been checking often to see if anything forms after cleaning, nothing ever does. just wondering whats up, since there is a guy that insists this stuff isnt corrosive. but im not about to find this out the hard way.

also..

use a bottle brush (nylon tips).. to clean the gas tube..

AND.. the gas tube attachment on the barrel.. rust and carbon will form inside the PORTS.. :cryss:

use some WD40 to dispurse the water after you rinse then dry wipe a little also.

clean the gas piston (by the BLACK area on the bolt carrier) also.. :cryss:

these are areas I notice the most corrosive work happening on mine..

if you let it go to long.. it will BIND the carrier in the rear sight gas tube area and you'll need a mallet to whack the charging handle to get the bolt back... (ask me how I know)..

don't leave ANY water or oil on the gas piston as they will cause the Carbon Crud to build up.

this was my procedure and it worked well.. other have done similar..

Al

Don't worry, I have been stupid and left my gun sitting uncleaned for nearly a month and a half after shooting milsurp 7.62x39 and the barrel was spotless after cleaning.

also..

use a bottle brush (nylon tips).. to clean the gas tube..

AND.. the gas tube attachment on the barrel.. rust and carbon will form inside the PORTS.. :cryss:

use some WD40 to dispurse the water after you rinse then dry wipe a little also.

clean the gas piston (by the BLACK area on the bolt carrier) also.. :cryss:

these are areas I notice the most corrosive work happening on mine..

if you let it go to long.. it will BIND the carrier in the rear sight gas tube area and you'll need a mallet to whack the charging handle to get the bolt back... (ask me how I know)..

don't leave ANY water or oil on the gas piston as they will cause the Carbon Crud to build up.

this was my procedure and it worked well.. other have done similar..

Al

yep, i do the same.

except i scrub the gas tube, gas block, and rear sight block down with a shotgun brush before i use any cleaning solution. then i spray it all down.

instead of wd40, i use an air can and alot of paper towels.

the piston, i scrub off as much black crap on the head as possible, and the entire carrier/piston assembly is sprayed down and cleaned also

the internals, brake, inside of dust cover, spring, all sprayed down and cleaned as if been in contact with the residue.

ive never had issues with rust, though this one time i saw spots of rust starting to form on the outside of the dust cover 025.gif got to that quick, and started wiping the outside of the cover as well

ill take the leaving oil off the piston into consideration, thats a good point. but i scrub that thing to be as clean as possible after every trip, anyway...

Don't worry, I have been stupid and left my gun sitting uncleaned for nearly a month and a half after shooting milsurp 7.62x39 and the barrel was spotless after cleaning.

i am wondering if the climate also plays a factor in the corrosiveness of ammo. being salt pulls in moisture, and more moisture = more salt water = more rust potential

i am wondering if the climate also plays a factor in the corrosiveness of ammo. being salt pulls in moisture, and more moisture = more salt water = more rust potential

So your saying it is worse if you live near an ocean?

guessing, actually.

like if this ammo was used in the desert, it wouldnt be as prone to rust as using it in a humid jungle...

wow, is this milsurp stuff really THAT corrosive?? lol

Must be really humid where you live. It gets that way here too.

If I don't want to clean very soon, I hose the barrel, gas tube and bolt down with CLP. A 3 minute job that buys you a lot of time.

guessing, actually.

like if this ammo was used in the desert, it wouldnt be as prone to rust as using it in a humid jungle...

This is true, the ammo doesn't cause the rust to form, it just draws moisture in to create the rust sooner. And whoever told you that surplus 5.45 is not corrosive is a dipshit. I have let mine go longer then I wished(7 days), the gas tube seems to be the weak link. I would say a week in a not overly humid environment would be the most I would wait.

In all seriousness, a week in any climate is going to be salvageable for an AK. But its the long term problem we are talking about anyway right.

Most of that rust is burnt metal from the steel cases and the steel bullets. Its like the crap in the bottom of a bench grinder, brush it off and clean well.

Fear not, your rifle is fine!

PS, what kind of range has that much brass just sitting on the ground?? Heck I'd pick that stuff up even just for scrap (3.50 a pound here).

Most of that rust is burnt metal from the steel cases and the steel bullets. Its like the crap in the bottom of a bench grinder, brush it off and clean well.

PS, what kind of range has that much brass just sitting on the ground?? Heck I'd pick that stuff up even just for scrap (3.50 a pound here).

good to know, still wont risk it by holding off on cleaning, but good to know nonetheless...

imagine a giant gravel pit with wooden tables made of old railroad ties, logs for chairs, your target consisting of a piece of cardboard attatched to two rusted metal poles, and it might take 40 minutes for the next cease-fire.......if there is any RO at all...

that is this range. and they pick up select brass and reload them to sell back. all the metal stuff and shotgun shells are just left on the ground

i remember one time i went on a thursday, and there was only 5 people there including myself, no RO, and we called cease fires amongst ourselves. lol 027.gif

good to know, still wont risk it by holding off on cleaning, but good to know nonetheless...

imagine a giant gravel pit with wooden tables made of old railroad ties, logs for chairs, your target consisting of a piece of cardboard attatched to two rusted metal poles, and it might take 40 minutes for the next cease-fire.......if there is any RO at all...

that is this range. and they pick up select brass and reload them to sell back. all the metal stuff and shotgun shells are just left on the ground

i remember one time i went on a thursday, and there was only 5 people there including myself, no RO, and we called cease fires amongst ourselves. lol 027.gif

What is a RO?

My range has about 1800 members (most of whom only go there once a year to sight in for hunting)

Indoor range is 24-7-365

Outdoor range is dawn to dusk

Never saw an RO in 3yrs

http://www.logansferrysportsmensclub.com/

My range has about 1800 members (most of whom only go there once a year to sight in for hunting)

Indoor range is 24-7-365

Never saw an RO in 3yrs

http://www.logansfer...tsmensclub.com/

now thats kick ass

being i live in a crap ban state though, this range is a blessing.

most ranges around here wont let you shoot silhouette targets, not even zombie targets, and will bitch at you if you load a 30 round mag with more than 5, RO's who yearn for a big dick and need something to prove.

Indoor range is 24-7-365

Never saw an RO in 3yrs

http://www.logansfer...tsmensclub.com/

now thats kick ass

being i live in a crap ban state though, this range is a blessing.

most ranges around here wont let you shoot silhouette targets, not even zombie targets, and will bitch at you if you load a 30 round mag with more than 5, RO's who yearn for a big dick and need something to prove.

The day I joined....I sat through a membership meeting. Someone asked if they could shoot semi-auto rifles there. The president of the club said "I dont care if you shoot a fucking bazooka.....just clean up when your done"

Kick ass :super:

wow, is this milsurp stuff really THAT corrosive?? lol

F1010717.jpg

Yep, its common. You do have alot of build up though, I guess it may the humidity as someone pointed out. That buildup is almost instant from shooting corrosive ammo. I'm not 100% convinced that its rust, it seems more like a residue to me, which easily cleans off.

Edited by incognito485

If you cant clean it right away then spay the bore/parts with WD40. It will keep the moisture away but it will evaporate. I use black powder cleaner to remove the salts and then clean with CLP. No problems with 7N6 so far and its humid in GA.

Range Officer

AAHH :devil: never had the unfortunate pleasure of having one of them anywhere.

Since an RSO**'s *real* job is to make sure nobody shoots you in the back while you're hanging a fresh target, I prefer to see them. Ranges with small dicks don't get any $ from me, however.

**Range Safety Officer

First of all, that shit will clean off in two seconds.

Second, all you have to do is rinse with water. It's not that hard, I mainly shoot surplus yugo through my AK. Never a real issue, and yeah, I've gotten some surface rust inside the gas tube before but, comes right off and if I clean properly (water rinse + normal clean/lube) there is no issue.

It won't break anything. Your gas tube is more of a guide anyway, the gun will function without it and you're not gonna wake up the next day or week and find it completely rotted to dust.