Ulyanovsk Ammo, is it Actually Corrosive?

I have searched this site and others on the internet, and heard conflicting reports about Ulyanovsk ammo actually being corrosive. I want to know what your experiences with this ammo is in regards to it being corrosive. I realize in a perfect world I should clean my gun after each use, but I dont (and do not plan to do so). I have about 300 rounds of this stuff I got for cheap, and before I shoot it, I just wanted to throw this question out there. Thanks a ton to all who respond!

Don't know and I don't care. I have a ton of it and if you clean your weapon after you shoot it, it will not be an issue. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Be safe,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

I've never noticed any corrosion when I neglected to clean my rifle for a few days. The box does say non-corrosive, it's never caused rust in my experience, YMMV.

Yeah, I was confident when I bought it that it was non-corrosive based on the box. However, some have noted that it was in fact corrosive and was probably re-boxed. Most of these people seemed to have gotten the ammo from gun shows or private parties, so who knows what they in fact bought.

I guess to play it safe, I will just clean the gun after I shoot the ammo tomorrow at the range. I am all for gun cleaning, I just think "mandatory" cleaning on an AK takes away from why I bought this rifle in the first place (that is the reliability even in the face of little-to-no cleaning/oiling).

Edited by Tony Baggadonuts

I shoot uly most of the time and have noticed a ammonia like smell behind it, I do sometimes wonder if they just put an ammonia additive in the powder to counter act the sodium phosphate produced by corrosive primers. Just a thought but who knows when it is coming from russia, vlad might have had a little too much vodka that day.

you can test whether your ammo is corrosive or not; find a clean piece of steel (sand the surface if needed and degrease with a solvent of your choice, then all you have to do is pull the bullet and powder out of one round of ammo, chamber the shell in your rifle and hold the muzzle about an inch off the steel and pull the trigger. Set the steel outside for a few days but cover it from rain so that the residue doesn't get washed off. If after a few days the spot that you shot the primer at is significantly more rusty then the rest of the steel then your ammo is corrosive, if the spot is only slightly discolored or looks the same and the rust is even then its probably safe to assume that your ammo is non-corrosive.

I haven't seen anything except old mil-surp use corrosive powder. The yugo uses corrosive primers but thats no big deal unless you are in a high humidity environment and forget to clean it for a month.

A two hour drive is nothing to be concerned over either way.