I am in the habit of counting my rounds fired. As I shoot I count down based on the magazine inserted. Even with my pistols that have a LRBHO I still count as I shoot.

This does not seem to effect my shooting but I am curious whether others do this as well.

I have never had any formal training so I don't know whether the Military or LEO encourages this or not.

I am curious to know whether others do this and if those of us who are professionals think this is a good practice.

I don't do it. But I'd have to say that knowing exactly how many rounds you have left can only be a good thing. I see no negatives in keeping up with that practice.

I'm far too scatterbrained to keep up with rounds fired, lol.

• Like 1

Timy!

I do fine up to about ten, after that it gets tough, esp if I have my boots on.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Seriously though, I pretty much count rounds automatically when at the range. I'm fortunate enough not to have been in a live fire situation where bullets are coming back at me but I could see where it might be a distraction from more important things (like staying alive) at that point. Perhaps a fatal distraction.

The more you shoot a particular weapon, the more you will be accustomed to guessing pretty close, the number of rounds you have expended. Then you will know in the future when you may need a Tactical Reload if the situation warrants it. Otherwise practice your Manual of Arms so you are proficient at Emergency Reloads when you run it dry. We never counted rounds, but did practice Manual of Arms and transitions to a secondary weapon for that purpose. It's easy to loose count in a real situation, unless you have a Coach gun so training by repetition will ensure reloads or transitions are muscle memory and don't require thinking about. Lots of classes will have you load your mags with random numbers of rounds for the sole purpose of such training.

• Like 1

The more you shoot a particular weapon, the more you will be accustomed to guessing pretty close, the number of rounds you have expended. Then you will know in the future when you may need a Tactical Reload if the situation warrants it. Otherwise practice your Manual of Arms so you are proficient at Emergency Reloads when you run it dry. We never counted rounds, but did practice Manual of Arms and transitions to a secondary weapon for that purpose. It's easy to loose count in a real situation, unless you have a Coach gun so training by repetition will ensure reloads or transitions are muscle memory and don't require thinking about. Lots of classes will have you load your mags with random numbers of rounds for the sole purpose of such training.

+1

i never done it in the service, but several have that i know. i was always too focused on where the enemy's position was at and thinking of ways i could flank their ass. :bad_egg: its very easy to lose count. especialy in the larger mags.

Company policy to load the first three rounds (so last 3 fired) as tracer rounds, so you know when its time to reload

Some unit policies are like that. Tracers work two ways if you know what I mean, even in daylight. Some unit policies involve delinking tracers from the beltfed ammo as well. Your reloads still need to be automatic regardless if it is tracers telling you Uh Oh, or the gun running dry. Three tracers coming from one position marks you and puts more emphasis on getting your shit back up and running...FAST.

Some professional trainers tell you to count and to refresh your mag without having to recharge the weapon. I tried to do this for about 2 years and the truth is I am more likely to mess it up in a fight than I am to benefit from it so I just worked on maintaining cover and making fast mag changes instead.