jb weld ? I broke my tap in my receiver now i am thinking jb weld

So I did my first conversion but I hit a few snags along the way. My biggest problem is that I tried to tap the gun without oil and broke my tap in the receiver. I have tried to back it out but have mot been able to do it. I have tried drilling it but am worried to drill anymore because the hole is getting large and its off center to begin with so I don't want to screw it up anymore than I already have. The hole is almost perfectly flush on top so I am considering using jb weld to secure the bullet guide in place instead of screwing it in. I know a ton of you are gonna say just re tap it but I am really not inclined enough to do it apparently. Has anyone used it does it hold up its rated upto 600 degrees. What do you think what should I do.Thanks for any feedback guys.

I've heard of people JB welding their bullet guide it into place, but you'll never beat an actual solid weld job. You could also rivet it into place or read this thread explaining a similar problem with some creative solutions; http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/51231-need-help-screwed-up-drilling-for-bullet-guide-real-bad/

• 2 weeks later...

I recently took the step of installing a bullet guide in my 5.45 and .223 Saiga's. I started with the 5.45 first and suceeded in breaking the tap off in the screw hole ( got in too much of a rush and wasn't paying attention). The tap was broke almost flush with the surface of the hole, so nothing there to grab on to.

So here is how I fixed it: I removed the front hand guard so I could access the underside of the trunion. I broke off the part of the tap sticking through the bottom of the trunion and then hit the top of the broken tap with a small punch (smaller than the hole) and brass hammer. The tap was brittle enough that it came right out. I lucked out as the threads in the hole didnt seem messed up, I ran a new tap through slowly just to make sure. Anyhow the bullet guide is now in place and screwed down tight.

I saw the punch method mentioned somewhere else on this forum and glad to report that it worked for me. Good luck!

By the way on the .223 rifle I took my time and only turned the tap about 1/8 to a 1/4 turn at a time backing it out each time, keeping the area wet with Rem Oil and it worked perfectly with no hitches in the .223 install.

In a case such as yours, I'd go with welding (unless the welder has a large minimum. Welding the bullet guide might take all of three minutes including set up). But, I have JB Welded bullet guides in the past as a test bed for the guide itself. And ended up shooting lots with the JB weld hold.

When removing the JB Welded guide, I found I had to hit the back of the bullet guide (closest to your face) a pretty good lick at the join between guide and trunnion in order to remove it.

Guitars, which are under heavy pressure from the strings have lasted for years, with bridges held on only with glue. When removing a bridge, brute force isn't the ticket. Instead, a sharp blow to the back edge of the bridge will break the joint and remove the bridge.

It may be the same principle here. The bullet's rounded nose simply rides over the edge of the bullet guide, and I suspect the most damaging force the bullet guide will experience would be in recoil, which is relatively small in a 7.62.

There are 2 kinds of people. Those who take the easy way and fuck it up, and those who put in the work to do it right.Use the search to find several excellent threads on fixing broken taps, or pay to have someone do it right. Half assing firearms is NEVER a good idea.

• Like 1

As much as I love JB I would not rely on it to hold the Bullet Guide in. Use a punch to shatter the tap (taps are hard, so they are brittle) and redo it with proper oil and slowness :smoke: You may not even need to re-size the hole. Then use the JB like loctite (or just use loctite (Red), and your B.guide will be guiding for years. :blues:

Good advice has been given, try shattering the tap first. Failing that, weld the guide on or better yet drill it out (which will be chore, the taps are HARD) and then tap oversize or rivet.

Don't worry, all is not lost. You are not the first to snap a tap off in the trunnion, nor was I :D

Spud Mud has its uses, but not in this application, in fact, not for most of the uses idjits use it for.

Find a welder.

Oh, and maybe check with some local machine shops, they make a device which can "eat out" a broken tap, some type of electrical degradation I believe, I have seen them for sale, but never used one.

Edited by Mr Mivet

You would JB weld it and never have a problem, but if your preparing for the Apoc, use a real weld

this will mortify people on this forum, But I've used a BG made out of JB weld attached to the front of steel galils and feed hundreds of rounds though without issue, i switched over to a Diznag bullet guide sense then, but still the JB is very strong, more than sufficient in holding in a bullet guide. heat resistant glue would be more than suffiecent most of the pressure is pushing down and forward lock it in tight before you apply and basically all your doing is try to keep the bullet from falling out due to movement to the left and right

but if you want a professional BG install, weld or fix your tap,

worst comes to worst it brakes off and you weld in it for real, right?

Edited by Joebanks