Initial impression of a Saiga AK

So I got my Saiga AK into today. It seems like a very well built rifle. Nice finish, but kind of cheapo stock. I tried to field strip the rifle, but the top cover just refused to come off. I eventually got it off with a plastic hammer and filed down the cover a bit so it would fit better. Still kinda hard to get off, but much better then before. The bolt group seems to fit tighter then most of my other AK's. Dunno if it's really matters. When I compared it to my Chinese MAK-90 the Saiga was a substantially different rifle internally. I compared the bolts and the MAK-90 bolt is a lot more robust looking, especially around the bolt shaft. The MAK-90 bolt carrier is a lot heavier then the Saiga bolt carrier group. The way the bolt carrier is machined is quite different then the MAK-90 or any tradational AK. My question is, what is the reason why the Russians made these internal changes to the AK? Like a different piston,different bolt and bolt carrier. I hope to fire my Saiga soon. Thanks.

I just got my first 7.62 saiga too and I have to say I'm very disappointed in the quality, I mean the damn importer cover up is a crappy job with black spray paint just sprayed every where than the new importer marks and the saiga and caliber marks look like a 2 year old scribbled them on.

The Saiga rifles are upgraded with AK74 components. The FSB, GB, and bolt are the 74 pattern. I'm not sure this is the full list, and hope someone can expand on this; thanks in advance.

Edited for punctuation :)

Edited by stnls1911

. The way the bolt carrier is machined is quite different then the MAK-90 or any tradational AK. My question is, what is the reason why the Russians made these internal changes to the AK? Like a different piston,different bolt and bolt carrier. I hope to fire my Saiga soon. Thanks.

What you mean to ask "is why did everyone else make their AK different?"

You do understand that the AK was designed and created by Mikhail Kalashnikov "cough cough" not any chinese or "traditional AK" maker. He was ahum "Russian".

The stock is there for importation reasons and can be changed out very simply. But the Russians do not plan on your simple American mind to be able to comprehend that as you are used to the Chinese doing everything for you.

The dust cover will come off easier when you get used to taking it off. It was designed for Russians, they have much bigger muscles than us Americans. Just man up on it and dont be such a pussy.

GL with your Saiga and please post any questions or concerns you may have.

:Johnboy:

• Like 3

. The way the bolt carrier is machined is quite different then the MAK-90 or any tradational AK. My question is, what is the reason why the Russians made these internal changes to the AK? Like a different piston,different bolt and bolt carrier. I hope to fire my Saiga soon. Thanks.

You do understand that the AK was designed and created by Mikhail Kalashnikov "cough cough" not any chinese or "traditional AK" maker. He was ahum "Russian".

The stock is there for importation reasons and can be changed out very simply. But the Russians do not plan on your simple American mind to be able to comprehend that as you are used to the Chinese doing everything for you.

The dust cover will come off easier when you get used to taking it off. It was designed for Russians, they have much bigger muscles than us Americans. Just man up on it and dont be such a pussy.

I know the stock is there for importation, I'm just simply stating it looks like a cheap plastic.

I know the stock is there for importation, I'm just simply stating it looks like a cheap plastic.

It IS cheap plastic which works in our favor as we are not paying for an expensive stock that we are just going to remove anyhow. As for the cover it just takes some getting used to as the are fitted much better than your run of the mill Romanian AK. I say that with the exception of the Draco I just bought for my SBR project...that dam cover is the tightest fitting AK cover I have ever encountered.

It IS cheap plastic which works in our favor as we are not paying for an expensive stock that we are just going to remove anyhow. As for the cover it just takes some getting used to as the are fitted much better than your run of the mill Romanian AK. I say that with the exception of the Draco I just bought for my SBR project...that dam cover is the tightest fitting AK cover I have ever encountered.

I guess you're right. They make it cheap with the intention that you're going to take it off. As for the dust cover, my Saiga .308 dust cover goes on and off very easily compared to this. Unless somebody modified the cover on .308 as it was a used gun.

Yeah the stock sucks and the sporter trigger linkage is awful. But I think the Russians know exactly what they were exporting, and to whom, and did only enough to make it compliant. Paint over park finish isn't the best, but it's standard issue and easy to touch up. The rest of the gun is solid however.

I have had some fit issues on my Saigas as well, the worst being a really sticky gas lever. But in the end all have been reliable. I have come to accept that any gun I buy will need a little mod or break-in, especially an AK.

I gotta agree, the Chinese and older AKs feel more solid and well-made but they also come with a few extra ounces of weight and no additional reliability. As another poster said, the Saigas are based on the most recent version of AK-74 inspired guns to come out of Russia. The design has been tested and tested again over the last 30 years.

I shot my Saiga today and I was impressed. No jams or misfires through 100 rounds I fired. Pretty decent accuracy. Shot like any other AK. The trigger of course is not like a MAK-90 or other AK's, but it's far from being terrible imo.

Edited by Ermac

I shot my Saiga today and I was impressed. No jams or misfires through 100 rounds I fired. Pretty decent accuracy. Shot like any other AK. The trigger of course is not like a MAK-90 or other AK's, but it's far from being terrible imo.

Mines an 02 model, without the crappy covered up markings, no matter. Even though mine is a littlle older than yours, they are in the 2000's, and not the 60's or 70's and rebuilt by schmucks (century). Im sure this makes a difference. You are going to be happy with your rifle. You will be even happier after you convert it. First, shoot the crap out of it, and figure out exactly how it works, so when you convert, you will know how your carrier cycles and the general smoothness of operation. Then, when you slap new parts in it, you will have a good reference, and know how to modify your new parts( its a good chance you may with the FCG).

If you like it now, you will love it when you convert it. Since i got mine in February, I have put a couple thousand rds thru it, before and after conversion (of various cheap russian types) and have had zero malfunctions. I have forgotten what the word 'malfunction' means anymore. And that makes me happy.

Edited by Boomsick42

Mines an 02 model, without the crappy covered up markings, no matter. Even though mine is a littlle older than yours, they are in the 2000's, and not the 60's or 70's and rebuilt by schmucks (century). Im sure this makes a difference. You are going to be happy with your rifle. You will be even happier after you convert it. First, shoot the crap out of it, and figure out exactly how it works, so when you convert, you will know how your carrier cycles and the general smoothness of operation. Then, when you slap new parts in it, you will have a good reference, and know how to modify your new parts( its a good chance you may with the FCG).

If you like it now, you will love it when you convert it. Since i got mine in February, I have put a couple thousand rds thru it, before and after conversion (of various cheap russian types) and have had zero malfunctions. I have forgotten what the word 'malfunction' means anymore. And that makes me happy.

I use to have a WASR. It wasn't a bad, shot straight and was reliable. Yeah, I might convert it the mag situation is really grim. I don't think I'd do it myself though. Not mechanically inclined enough.

I just got my first 7.62 saiga too and I have to say I'm very disappointed in the quality, I mean the damn importer cover up is a crappy job with black spray paint just sprayed every where than the new importer marks and the saiga and caliber marks look like a 2 year old scribbled them on.

No, you mean you're disappointed in some details of the appearance. Go shoot it. ;)

So I got my Saiga AK into today. It seems like a very well built rifle. Nice finish, but kind of cheapo stock. I tried to field strip the rifle, but the top cover just refused to come off. I eventually got it off with a plastic hammer and filed down the cover a bit so it would fit better. Still kinda hard to get off, but much better then before. The bolt group seems to fit tighter then most of my other AK's. Dunno if it's really matters. When I compared it to my Chinese MAK-90 the Saiga was a substantially different rifle internally. I compared the bolts and the MAK-90 bolt is a lot more robust looking, especially around the bolt shaft. The MAK-90 bolt carrier is a lot heavier then the Saiga bolt carrier group. The way the bolt carrier is machined is quite different then the MAK-90 or any tradational AK. My question is, what is the reason why the Russians made these internal changes to the AK? Like a different piston,different bolt and bolt carrier. I hope to fire my Saiga soon. Thanks.

The Russians keep improving the design and manufacturing process. Different clones often have more "robust" looking parts to compensate for shitty materials and manufacturing. It just adds bulk and weight. It's kind of like the original AK-47 , which had heavy, bulky milled receivers, because the technology to make the lighter, more reliable stamped receivers wasn't quite there yet.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

The Russians keep improving the design and manufacturing process. Different clones often have more "robust" looking parts to compensate for shitty materials and manufacturing. It just adds bulk and weight. It's kind of like the original AK-47 , which had heavy, bulky milled receivers, because the technology to make the lighter, more reliable stamped receivers wasn't quite there yet.

"Improved" perhaps. To me, it just makes parts less interchangeable with 7.62x39 rifles. I can assure you the Chinese don't use shitty materials. I don't think the Saiga is better or worst then any of the AK's I have or use to have, to me, it's just different. It's a good rifle. I hope to put a scope on it next time.

Edited by Ermac