Old S12 receiver?????

So a buddy of mine recently gave me this S12 receiver after he found out I had just bought a new S12. The reason he gave it to me was that he lives in Cali and doesn't want to try and keep up with all the legality's of building one there.

Anyhow........After it arrived I noticed it has a few differences from my newer S12 such as the safety and mag release. At least as far as I'm aware they're different? lol

Safety on the rear of the receiver that simply blocks the trigger.....

DSCF1896.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

DSCF1887.jpg

Side view of the safety levers.....

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1888.jpg

And here you can see that the mag release is a bit different.....

DSCF1886.jpg

DSCF1890.jpg

So my questions are these...... How old do you think this receiver is and can I buy a barrel for it to put it together and make it whole again?

Edited by Ape

Oh really Shultze???

I never thought about that. I was told that's what it was by the person that gave it to me. So I just assumed it was since there's no markings telling me other wise.

Wow man that's cool. Any more pics of the rest of the gun?

That's all I have. If I'm gonna build it I'll have to find the other parts.

Edited by Ape

First off that is not a S-12 reciever, I am not sure what it is.

+1, but it is interesting. Does it have a hammer/firing pin? Is that cast aluminum? More pics, especially of the front. What is that marking, R14? Any other marks?

Edited by bigj480
  • Like 2

Oh really Shultze???

I never thought about that. I was told that's what it was by the person that gave it to me. So I just assumed it was since there's no markings telling me other wise.

Wow man that's cool. Any more pics of the rest of the gun?

That's all I have. If I'm gonna build it I'll have to find the other parts.

Nope, not an S-12, never was, nor could it ever be. Compare it with your S-12 and you'll see why...

• Like 1

+1, but it is interesting. Does it have a hammer/firing pin? Is that cast aluminum? More pics, especially of the front. What is that marking, R14? Any other marks?

LOL @ the new avatar BJ! Was wondering just what you did to get banned..... :lolol:

I believe Scout Joe is actually the official 'villiage idiot' here though....at least he has been calling himself that for a few years...hahaha

Not cast aluminum as far as I can tell...... And yes it has a firing pin and hammer as seen in the pics below. The only markings I'm seeing are RH and LH on either side of the bolt casing for left and right designation.

No other marks other than the "NE" on the trigger housing assembly. Not sure what that stands for?

Hammer released in this photo..........

DSCF1905.jpg

Firing pin at hammer interface.........

DSCF1907.jpg

Firing pin at casing/extractor interface..........

DSCF1909.jpg

"RH/LH" markings..........

DSCF1903.jpg

DSCF1904.jpg

Front view...........

DSCF1899.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

Did he actually say that thing was from an S-12?

Sorry bro but that's not an S12

Nope, not an S-12, never was, nor could it ever be. Compare it with your S-12 and you'll see why...

I don't know.......You guys would know more about S12's than I. All I know is the guy I got it from (who is a very knowledgable gun guy IMO) swears it's a Saiga 12. He did say it was an old version of it, but he wasn't sure of the age?

And I did compare it to my S12, that's why I was confused and came here to ask what you guys thought/knew.

Any ideas on whether or not this is a Saiga Cobra???

Definitely not any kind of Saiga. Looks more like some kind of .22 cal rifle receiver.

It's definitely a 12gauge as shown in the photo's below.........

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

DSCF1902.jpg

It fits right in there like a glove.

I'd love to use this to build another S12, but at this point I just have reservations as to what it truly is? On one hand the guy I trust says it is a Saiga. But others here don't think it is.

And on the other hand, if it really is an old school Saiga bolt assembly, then are there receivers and barrels and such out there that I can buy to put it together?

Edited by Ape

Not even kalashnikov based. Any AK style weapon would have a dustcover. That clearly wasnt meant to ever take one as the bolt/carrier are covered by the action itself. Also no op rod, or any provisions at all for it to be semi, Unless its recoil operated. Could you put up some pictures of just the bolt/carrier by itself, with the while thing in 1 picture? It would help. I think youve got either a recoil operated semi magazine fed, our a pump action magazine fed shotgun.

Edited by yooper14.5

It's interesting alright. Yes now that I see the bolt face I stand corrected on the rifle comment. Does this guy not still have any other parts besides the action? What happened to the rest of the gun? A Saiga, as far as I'm aware of at least,( and I have some Saigas dating back several different importers....) is always built on an AK receiver, using the same initial design concept. The receiver is the frame that holds everything in place. What you have is a drop in all inclusive action, that looks like it is made to seat in a wood or plastic stock, similar to how a Ruger 10/22, SKS, or other receiver does. I would love to see that this is a very early example of a drop in action, made to sit inside an AK receiver, but I would be very surprised if it was true.

Not even kalashnikov based. Any AK style weapon would have a dustcover. That clearly wasnt meant to ever take one as the bolt/carrier are covered by the action itself. Also no op rod, or any provisions at all for it to be semi, Unless its recoil operated. Could you put up some pictures of just the bolt/carrier by itself, with the while thing in 1 picture? It would help. I think youve got either a recoil operated semi magazine fed, our a pump action magazine fed shotgun.

DSCF1906.jpg

It's interesting alright. Yes now that I see the bolt face I stand corrected on the rifle comment. Does this guy not still have any other parts besides the action? What happened to the rest of the gun? A Saiga, as far as I'm aware of at least,( and I have some Saigas dating back several different importers....) is always built on an AK receiver, using the same initial design concept. The receiver is the frame that holds everything in place. What you have is a drop in all inclusive action, that looks like it is made to seat in a wood or plastic stock, similar to how a Ruger 10/22, SKS, or other receiver does. I would love to see that this is a very early example of a drop in action, made to sit inside an AK receiver, but I would be very surprised if it was true.

Nope, no other parts. He had this to start building himself one is how I understood it.

And now that you guys mention the AK style action, I'm thinking you may be right. So now I have to figure out what the heck this is so I can build something with it! lol

Its there a carrier or is that all there is? If thats it, id have to say recoil operated semi. I don't see anything to be pushed on to unlock the bolt, meaning the unlocking push comes from the bolt face.

Nope, the carrier can be seen in this pics background...........

DSCF1907.jpg

You could try what I've done with other unknown parts I wanted to learn about, and do a google search for any numbers you can find stamped on specific parts. You could even search for the number, with the word "shotgun".... and see what comes up....

Ahh, so its either gas or pump. Could be either one with the way that carrier is. almost looks like a pump with the front end of the forend arms cut off. I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste pics, but in the pic with the bolt holding a shell in the receiver, side view, you can see what looks like the front of a pumps rail sticking out in front of the action.

New thought: there is no reassembling it; the receivers been cut in half. Theres nothing for a barrel to attach too, nothing for the front half of the magazine to sit in, and the carrier rails are flush with the cut end of the receiver when the bolt is back. In the pics of it holding the shell, the shell sticks way past the end of the receiver. Unless you can find its other half or a parts gun its useless. I just realized that. I might be stating the obvious here......

Just a suggestion but you might want to contact Tony Rumore and get his feedback to go along with what others have contributed so far.

I'm guessng Tony may have as much idea as anyone.

Good luck

Harv

Forigive me for my rookie ignorance, but who's Tony Rumore and how do I contact him?