Stupid Question-Why Doesn't Someone Make a US Copy of the Factory

If the factory mags are so reliable, and better fitting, why isn't there a true 100% "perfect" copy of them? I know there are 8 rounders out there that are good, but you can see the difference in the overall shape/style of the mags when compared to the factory mags. It would seem to make sense to me, or am I missing something? Is such an item out there and I'm just too ignorant to know it? Mind you I am well versed in most things Kalashikov, but I am not a Saiga knowledgeable person by any stretch. I do own a converted/modified S-12, but I only have a few mags, so I was wondering about this. Please don't flame me too bad if I'm being a dumbass.

BTW, it cut off my full thread title.

Edited by 2ndAmendican

The expense of producing a copy of the magazine probably wouldn't be justified by the demand - they would have to be more expensive than the normal aftermarket high-cap mags, and a lot of people wouldn't perceive the added value. Maybe someone will do it eventually - there is a company in Taiwan that has been making five-round magazines that are externally almost identical to the factory mags for years now, but they are made using inferior materials and construction.

The cheap Taiwain mags are good but they dont have the same amount of metal reinforcements inside.

As far as someone making the mags I have heard and read that it costs so much to set up the tooling its hard to turn a profit. My theory is that the initial investment is just beyond the budget of most people skilled in this area. They most likely can not float that money for a year before they recoup. Then again look at MD arms, the drum was a completely new design with more materials and it came to market. Although they where expensive initially they are affordable now.

The cheap Taiwain mags are good but they dont have the same amount of metal reinforcements inside.

As far as someone making the mags I have heard and read that it costs so much to set up the tooling its hard to turn a profit. My theory is that the initial investment is just beyond the budget of most people skilled in this area. They most likely can not float that money for a year before they recoup. Then again look at MD arms, the drum was a completely new design with more materials and it came to market. Although they where expensive initially they are affordable now.

It was not a completely new design - it is essentially a USAS-12 drum with a Saiga-12 feed tower, and I'm sure other modifications that Mike D. could tell you about.

USAS-12:

usas224b047.jpg

MD Arms S-12 drum:

md10.jpg

one would think that with today's rapid prototyping, cnc, water-jet, and injection molding technology, somebody already in an industry that has those machines could bang them out in a day. Printers by day, magazines by night. It seems totally possible. all you'd need to do is bring in a consultant to write the programs and put in the design specs. After the one time expense, you just churn them out. Clearly, If you're joe blow and want to get into the biz and have to buy all the hardware, sure its not financially feasible. But there are a lot of shops that already have it all, and don't even know they're in a position to rake in the dough.

one would think that with today's rapid prototyping, cnc, water-jet, and injection molding technology, somebody already in an industry that has those machines could bang them out in a day. Printers by day, magazines by night. It seems totally possible. all you'd need to do is bring in a consultant to write the programs and put in the design specs. After the one time expense, you just churn them out. Clearly, If you're joe blow and want to get into the biz and have to buy all the hardware, sure its not financially feasible. But there are a lot of shops that already have it all, and don't even know they're in a position to rake in the dough.

I agree Im sure it would cost but there are plenty of companies that can get it done. What I dont understand is why none of the current manufacture's of S12 mags dont get it done. Oh well screw it I'd rather see the metal mags anyway.