I'm in the market for a new 9mm and I'm stuck between two diffrent ones. I'm looking at the new springfield XDM with the 5.25 inch barrel and the Glock 17 Gen 4. I have shot and own quite a few pistols but never fired a glock and was wondering if anyone has expierence with both? It wont be a CCW I have my springfield XDM 45 for that thats why I wanted the longer Barrel for IDPA and maybe 3 gun or just shooting at the range. And for you GLock Guys out there how is the accuracy on them compared to other guns you have shot ?

Both are very popular and, from what I've heard and read, very good guns. I've shot both and I'm not a fan of how either feels in my hands. I'm fond of 1911's and the FN series of pistols. A buddy of mine bought a glock for competitions because if it's versitile customizability.

When I was looking to purchase a 9mm I had narrowed my decision down to the Glock or the XDM too.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either of these guns but, for me I chose the Glock.

I shot both before I decide to purchase. I had no failures with either weapon during my trials. 500 rounds through each gun over 3-4 trips to the indoor range was not an exhaustive trial though. To me the Glock seemed to be a much lower profile (less clunky), and felt "smoother" when firing. My groupings were a little more tighter with the Glock than they were with the XDM. I also like the fact that the Glock Gen 4 came with 3 mags.

I run the XD45 Tactical for ACTS competition, action pistol and I also carry it every day. Very accurate, and if you run a supertuck and weigh over 100lbs, you should have no issue with it concealed. Check my gallery and I have pics of the rig.

I have heard major issues with Glock's current generation offerings, and if you already run the XDM, you might want to stick with a single grip angle.

• Like 2

I shot both and ended up keeping the glock 17 & put a rubber grip on it feels so much better,but I'm kimber 1911 fan when it comes to grouping . Go with the glock my man! Thanx for the post & good luck!

well the one thing i dont care for on the xd is the grip safety. its not a 1911 and therefore, shouldnt have it. but thats me. others' flavor may vary. i have a glock 23 rtf and would highly recommend it. i like it over the others simply cuz there is no need for an added texture grip. the tiny spikes built in the frame are a tad better than the gen 4 imo. the only thing i really dont like about glocks are the factory sights. im better with a 3 dot system but you can get good with them by getting used them. since you'll have to get used to any new pistol performs anyways. id just throw some night sights on it and be done. i shot an xd again this past halloween and was pretty satisfied with how it performed. it was a .40 though. i was hitting targets with it as easy as i can with my glock. so the accuracy is there. i just had to get somewhat used to the feel of the gun over the glock, since thats what i shoot the most of. but the most accurate pistol i own is def. my FN. and in the same price range as both you suggested. in the end, i feel you can go wrong with either. just hold both and shoot them if you can. but if you plan on runnin 3 gun with it, then id go glock for the long list of aftermarket performance enhancers they offer currently.

• Like 1

I don't own any Gen 4 Glocks but from what I understand from my buddy who is a Glock Armorer, all the new ones from the factory have had the recoil spring and ejector issues resolved. Any Gen 4 that slipped through the cracks can have those issues taken care of by a Certified Glock Armorer free of charge. I don't have a need for a Gen 4 as I'm not a lefty but I trust they are dependable now. If you do opt to use a Glock for competition and Glock has folks at the event, they can inspect and service the weapon for free as well.

ETA: I am a Glock guy as well but did own an XD for a short time. Wasn't for me.

Edited by MT Predator

I dont think you can really go wrong w/ the XD(m) or the Glock. Both really good reliable guns. Rent both at a local range and decide that way. You'll never find the decisive answer you're looking for by asking people online since both guns are very good. I would guess that most people that give you a "glock is better" or "xdm is better" personally own that particular weapon.