Here's the deal:

I'm addicted to good cheese steaks, Chicago style Italian sandwiches, and French dips, and I want to take matters into my own hands.

It's got to be less than $200, straight blade, not serrated, able to go very thin to 1/2"

I'm looking hard at the Weston 9" 150 watt.

Share the wisdom, please.

one thing to consider, if you decide to slice cheese be sure to look at the specs on different slicers. takes alot of power...can burn up a lower end slicer if not careful. i was in catering and vending for several years and my two options would be....berkel or hobart. these are not cheap if bought new but if you search the net you can find goods deals on decent used ones.

• Like 2

Used one everday when I was cook. Worked there 5 years and I couldn't even tell ya what brand it was! lol

It did slice up cheese like butter though, and we abused the shit out of this thing. The top guard could be flipped around and it had sharpening wheels on it, so all it took to keep it sharp was to flip around the guard and rest the sharpening wheels on the blade. Turn it on like normal and you have a sharp new blade ready to go.

This was a fairly large industrial model though. Probably not something you want sitting on your kitchen counter.

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably get that 150 watt Weston. I can get lunch meat and cheese sliced at my deli that is literally walking distance from my house, but they will not slice raw meat-laws and such.

I am going to create a sandwich called the black and blue! Sliced rib-eye, quick fried on each side with salt, pepper, and garlic pepper, then topped with real blue cheese crumbles and sauteed onions on a fresh baked roll!

You heard it here first!

• Like 1

Go to a store that sells used resturant equipment, or a large flea market. Buy a good used Hobat or Hamilton beach. Commercial or older top end (USA) equipment is built MUCH better than the China crap out there now.

Edited by G O B
  • Like 1