state with least govt interference into subje- i mean citizens life?

so my truck tags have been expired for 5 mos and i was unaware because the p.o. doesnt fwd tag renewal stuff. i moved last july, tags expired in aug. but guess what they will fwd, CHRISTMAS CARDS!!! HOLY SHIT WTF!!!

sure its my responsibility to make sure im current, but i challenge the whole concept of "getting a blessing" to take my property on the road...

long story long, i want to move eventually to a state that doesnt try to micro manage your life so much... kinda like vermont with its constitutional carryor whatever, or montana with its "prudent" speed limit

Yeah, too many idiots were not being prudent with their speeds. Hint: Texas-sized deer are laughed at in the northwest. Montana-sized deer usually clear 200lbs dressed, and hitting 250+lbs of deer at over 100mph *will* ruin your day.

Elk and Moose are even worse. I had a kid that worked for me up there killed when they hit a Black Angus bull at night.

Our speed limit law was merely a "Bait and Switch" game with the State, really. They lifted the speed limit with the clause that they would then ADD a "Points system" for violations, on your licence AND raise fines from $5 (yes $5 for speeding) to a minimum of $50. We did not have that before. So then they decide to give us BACK a speed limit, and kept the high fines and points system. That seems like it was the plan all along, and the gimmic of no speed limit was how they pulled the wool over our eyes.

Other than that, Montana does have very strong Privacy laws, and is an open carry state and a Shall-Issue state, as far as concealed carry goes. The only thing that constitutes a concealed weapon is if it is covered by the clothes you are wearing!

Great place and Great people here!

• Like 1

Yeah, too many idiots were not being prudent with their speeds. Hint: Texas-sized deer are laughed at in the northwest. Montana-sized deer usually clear 200lbs dressed, and hitting 250+lbs of deer at over 100mph *will* ruin your day.

Elk and Moose are even worse. I had a kid that worked for me up there killed when they hit a Black Angus bull at night.

Yeah, 600+lbs of elk, 900+lbs of moose, or 2000lbs of hamburger. I went for the deer to make a point about even the 'little critters'.

I don't mind Montana, but after living an hour from Seattle for several years, I like a place where the nightlife is more than "listen to the coyotes/wolves."

There was no posted speed limit on highways. Drivers were responsible for driving a safe and prudent speed for the road, traffic and weather conditions. The first time you drive past a state trooper and you are going 120, and he doesn't pull out and follow you.....well, it was pretty awesome. Not many cars on the road here compared to Most places.

Still, most folks did 75 or 80mph on the highways.

edit: we also have NO sales tax here.

Edited by RobRez

There was no posted speed limit on highways. Drivers were responsible for driving a safe and prudent speed for the road, traffic and weather conditions. The first time you drive past a state trooper and you are going 120, and he doesn't pull out and follow you.....well, it was pretty awesome. Not many cars on the road here compared to Most places.

Still, most folks did 75 or 80mph on the highways.

edit: we also have NO sales tax here.

Thanks. I can claim no state income tax here in FL, but we definitely have a sales tax. I wonder if I can get a job in Montana....

Alaska isn't that bad. I'd stay on the highway system and live about 10-15mi from a town of about 3,500 people. You get the isolation and don't have to pay bush prices.

If you like being around people, are a "city" person, and hate driving more than a half hour for groceries I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to live in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Please for the love of all that is holy don't complain about food/gas/weather/other crap there. Go somewhere else, they really couldn't care less.

If you're good with those check out my old stomping grounds, the Kenai Peninsula.