Well I really hate it when you go to gun stores and the people whos job it is to know about weapons and gear make an ass of them self. And I think if you sell silencers and the such then you should be that much more knowable.

Heres what happen I'm at a class three dealer in Dawson county GA and I'm about to check out and a customer asks if they make a silencer for his .280? Two of the workers look at him like he's stupid, so I say get a .30 cal silencer and use it for every thing .30 cal and below.... Thing number one says" is it a huntn' profile barrel?" customer says yea thing 2 says " there's not enough meat to thread" ( this without even seeing the gun) then thing 2 says yea and it would beat the hell out of the can anyway. I just bought my bullets for reloading and left. But there's another dealer in the area that doesn't know everything but also doesn't pretend to he will get my money soon for a 7.62sd. And I thing that can would handle .280 just fine. From what I understand it will handle a .300 win mag with a 24" barrel.

Well most sales people aren’t experts at what they’re selling. Most have a good general knowledge but as an example car sales people usually aren’t also working for NASCAR.

I’ve got a pretty good background in guns but there are a bunch of areas I’m clueless in and/or have my own mistaken opinions on, anything like a class 3 item being way up on the list. Don’t know much about elephant guns either but don’t have much call for them in this area.

So sometimes I’m a little slow to start tossing rocks in my glass house, but sometimes I act like a kid who just got a new slingshot.

• Like 1

Most .308 suppressors are threaded for 5/8x24 or .625". If the barrel diameter is less than .65, your shop may have to go down a threadsize to create the stop point and then use an adapter. A Weatherby sporter profile at the muzzle is .62 which doesn't leave enough meat to create that thread as do several other makers with barrels over 20" in sporter weight (my Steyr Prohunter barrel fits inside my .308 can's threads).

If the guy's rifle is a .280 in a magnum load (or based off something larger than a .308), then you need to make sure the suppressor is designed for magnum pressures. A standard .308 suppressor may not be able to handle his particular rifle's pressure (like a .280 Remington or .280 Weatherby Magnum) or it my void the warranty.

Asking the right questions before accidentally selling the wrong product (which ain't refundable after buying the tax stamp) makes them good salesmen in my book.

I hate the "100 years of combined experience" crap. Experience does not work that way! They could have 100 employees with 1 year experience each, or even Worse! Cheesey marketing gimmic like Naming your business some thing like AAA guns, so you are the first one listed in phone books.

Quality needs NO embelishment!

• Like 2

Speaking of threading a barrel. Bought one of the Sterling type1, I think, the one with the pencil dick barrel sticking out. I told my guy at the "store" that I intended to thread it and install my can and he said there's not enough meat on the barrel. The barrel miched .540, I needed at least .065 to the side for a shoulder. I took it by to show him the gun with the can installed yesterday and he like to have shit his self. It's nice to have a lathe or 3 to play with and spare time at the shop, aka NO WORK. I guess I'm one of the lucky few, if my guy doesn't know the answer to my question, he'll tell me so, then say "hang around a minute, I'll find out". There's not many shops that have people that will admit to not knowing or even get you a real answer. The real bitch of it all is, they are just across the 4 lane from my shop, I stand in my front door most days wishin, dreamin and droolin when I see the UPS truck drive up over there. :)

I had a guy tell me the 338 lapua was over 5000fps, and another guy try to tell me that you cant get the FSP off of an AR and that the flash hider was pressed on. So I said, no they are threaded on, so he grabbed the flash hider and tried to twist it off by hand but couldnt so he said "see its pressed on"

While in a gunshop the other day, I overheard a father "teaching" his son about different types of guns. At one point in the lesson, the father pointed out a shotgun on the rack, didn't recognize it, and asked the storekeeper,"What's this one?" To which the storekeeper replied,"It's a Beretta." The father looked puzzled and replied, "Beretta makes shotguns?"

I laughed out loud from an aisle over.

Of course salesme

n can be bad, but being around such customers all day can't help either.

Edited by Koljec