Well, I finally got what I think is a decent deal for my West Hurley M1 Thompson. Everyone around here is a cheap-ass and no one would give me over $700 for it. I think the best offer I got was like $500+ a ~$300 9mm that I didn't want. Today, I went to visit my friendly neighborhood Class III dealer (right as they were closing up to head to the Shot Show) and struck gold. At least I think so...

My new Sig Sauer Scorpion:

post-32852-0-70535800-1326595035_thumb.jpg

External extractor, match trigger, Cerakote finish

post-32852-0-40432400-1326595072_thumb.jpg

Standard recoil system with one quirk: Recoil spring wire is flat instead of round, seems kind of heavy too. Maybe a 22lb or so?

post-32852-0-08568800-1326595106_thumb.jpg

Very unusual grip panels that leave the bottom edge of the frame to form a very nicely beveled mag well. Even the mainspring housing has that same texture and is contoured and extended at the bottom to add the rear portion of the mag well.

post-32852-0-57084400-1326595314_thumb.jpg

Ambi thumb safety, beavertail w/"speed bump," Metroprolight night sights, commander-style hammer, and a whole lot of attitude. 027.gif

post-32852-0-54859500-1326595578_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the frontstrap checkering and those awesome grips. wub.png

Series 80 drop safety and the external extractor were kind of a weird combination. What appears to be the rear of the extractor in that fourth picture is actually only about 1/2" long and appears to function solely to accommodate the drop safety. Seems pointless to me, but hey- it's a Sig Sauer 1911, I'm not gonna bitch. Price tag on it was $1,049. They traded me straight up and then gave me a 20% discount on ammo and mags. I walked away happy and they were smiling, so I call it a win.

• Like 2

That is one purty 1911!

I'd call it a good trade for a semi-auto West Hurley M1 Thompson... Now if it'd been a select/auto NFA M1 horror.gif

A good trade is one in which both parties are happy with the trade.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I know it is DE but it does have a slight pink look to it. must of had the flash on his camera. But even IF it was pink who cares? Who said pink is for girls???? I own a pink gun, and for my S-12's clear mags I have pink shells. Who at a gun range is going to make fun of a 300lb, 6' 1", long haired, disturbied looking, biker carring a pink gun???? As of this date NO ONE!!!

• Like 1

Very nice. I remember watching a review video on one of these and drooling.

Random question: I like how the grips combined with the MSH make for a flared magwell. Can those grips and MSH be used on any 1911 to recreate the same flared magwell?

• Like 1

Random question: I like how the grips combined with the MSH make for a flared magwell. Can those grips and MSH be used on any 1911 to recreate the same flared magwell?

Hmm.. Good question... I believe the grips are manufactured by Hogue, but "Sig Sauer" is engraved in them so I'm not sure if it's an exclusive thing. I like this setup a lot more than other mag wells and it'd be great to get a set for the RIA I've got my eye on. Next time I get a chance I'll disassemble this one and my Springfield to compare and let you know.

Am I the only one more excited about the Thompson he traded?

Eh, that Auto Ordinance reproduction was kind of a disappointment. I think it weighed around 15lbs with the 30rnd stick mag (real man's gun, lol) and the trigger pull was outrageous. I could honestly only dump about 15-20 rounds before my finger was fatigued. Then the retractor pin sheared off and took part of the bolt with it. Of course, Kahr did not keep any of AO's records after they moved to Worchester, so I had to take a guess on which style bolt/firing pin I needed.. Long story short, I'm glad to have something I can use. If you're ever in NE IN, I know a shop that's got one for sale! :lolol:

Edited by JonnyDingDongs

Wow, I was just on Hogue's website to find those grips and they have some really cool stuff out! I couldn't find that exact set, but they have at least 5 others that I don't know if I can live without... They call it the "mag grip kit." They run $120, :blink: but for something that unique, I may need to work some more overtime. Or sell some other guns...

Yeah, overtime. :up:

Wow, I was just on Hogue's website to find those grips and they have some really cool stuff out! I couldn't find that exact set, but they have at least 5 others that I don't know if I can live without... They call it the "mag grip kit." They run $120, blink.png but for something that unique, I may need to work some more overtime. Or sell some other guns...

Yeah, overtime. 032.gif

Nice. Thanks for the info.

A little pricey, but hey, what isn't in this lifestyle? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Right? :lol:

Range report:

This gun is amazing. Granted, I've only fired a handful of handguns, but this was the best by far. Windy day, target stand swaying violently, ~25yds back, couldn't feel my hands, and I still got a 6-shot group of 2" between gusts. Made my Springfield A1 look like a piece of shit.

1 FTF out of ~150rnds running Winchester 'Value Pack' ball. (Follower contacted slide stop while feeding and caught it the take-down notch)

Sights need adjusted, but just barely.

That trigger is insane! Absolutely the cleanest break I've felt. (Except maybe an Accutrigger)

Very, very impressed with this firearm.

• Like 1

Right? laugh.png

Range report:

This gun is amazing. Granted, I've only fired a handful of handguns, but this was the best by far. Windy day, target stand swaying violently, ~25yds back, couldn't feel my hands, and I still got a 6-shot group of 2" between gusts. Made my Springfield A1 look like a piece of shit.

1 FTF out of ~150rnds running Winchester 'Value Pack' ball. (Follower contacted slide stop while feeding and caught it the take-down notch)

Sights need adjusted, but just barely.

That trigger is insane! Absolutely the cleanest break I've felt. (Except maybe an Accutrigger)

Very, very impressed with this firearm.

Awesome.

Since I'm not heavily vested in .45 and don't consider capacity to be an issue with it personally, I've been thinking about selling my G21 and getting a 1911. The Sig seems like it would be a nice choice.