Best way to make grip nut hole

If you use a SAW grip you can use a regular bolt, lockwasher, and nut in the rear hole. If you do that you can just use the stock trigger hole. You will have to modify your buttstock to clear the nut, but thats much easier than cutting a new hole in your receiver.

If you use a SAW grip you can use a regular bolt, lockwasher, and nut in the rear hole. If you do that you can just use the stock trigger hole. You will have to modify your buttstock to clear the nut, but thats much easier than cutting a new hole in your receiver.

Yup I have a SAW grip and I was thinking about that. But wouldnt the grip be able to twist since its held in place with just a single round screw? With the square nut it wouldnt be able to twist.

Mine was very sturdy. I sold the gun to a man who was going to use it in competition. I haven't heard any complaints from him. You could try it and if you didn't like it you could easily remove it and cut a new hole. I don't know how much you know much about AK's, but once you've asembled one it doesn't take long to take one down to just a pile of parts.

I used orange electrical tape. Draw the hole in pencil then tape around the hole. Then use the dremmel with TWO cutoff wheels (the thin ones). Dremel the four sides of the square hole. The plug will fall out. Then use either the dremel to square the corners or a triangle file.

Cutting the hole was the last part of my conversion because I thought it would be the hardest part. It was the easiest part by far.

On Saiga-12 #2 I didn't cut the hole at all. I just used the rear hole in the Tapco SAW grip as it lined up with the old square trigger hole...MadDog

Mark carefully, dremmel SLIGHTLY undersize and file to fit. The nut may be tapered slightly or the front and rear part that penetrates the reciever may be on the same angle as the grip. With a little hand fitting the nut will be a tight fit. It is easier to do than to explain!

G O B

Well im to the point where I have to make the pistol grip nut hole.  What is the best way to make this hole?  Drill a hol ein each corner?  Does it have to be very accurate?

Anytips would be great.

I have a tip for you. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Smartasses don't get very far around real gun people.

Real gun people. I probably know more about ARs than just about anyone here.

Smartasses...your the one who fired first.

Somehow I find that VERY HARD to believe... for someone who cant even perform even the most BASIC of rifle maintenance... like removing a stock... from a platform as intrinsically basic as the AK... how you can claim to be an expert on a relatively complex setup like the AR, I cannot fathom... although... I suppose if you have whined, and nagged, and badgered and "how do I...how do I...how do I" with the AR folks for God knows how long, even when all the relevant data was staring you in the noggin... PERHAPS over a few years some of it may have sunk in...

Tell me... can you get the stocks off your AR??? ( just merely curious...)

:smoke:

Hahaha. With an AR its as simple as unsrewing a screw....not pounding it with hammer.

Go ahead...ask me any question about an AR....chances are ill ba able to answere it. Need to change the barrel...ill tell you how...need to know what the best bullet weight is for a certain barrel twist....Ill tell you about that. Need to know the difference between A1,A2,A3, and A4..ill tell you all about that.

Hahaha.  With an AR its as simple as unsrewing a screw....not pounding it with hammer.

Go ahead...ask me any question about an AR....chances are ill ba able to answere it.  Need to change the barrel...ill tell you how...need to know what the best bullet weight is for a certain barrel twist....Ill tell you about that.  Need to know the difference between A1,A2,A3, and A4..ill tell you all about that.

Ask you about common courtesy and you're clueless. No one gives a rat's ass about your browser's bookmarks and whatever cut and paste answers you can find about ARs in them on what is obviously an AK board.

Well there you go. Im more of an AR guy.....im a noob when it comes to AKs.

Copy and Paste...your funny.

I also know some secrets.....shhhhhh. Stag arms use the exact same receivers as Rock River Arms.....but they cost less.

Colt is PC crap...in my opinion.

Colt sued several companys for using "M4" which is bullship in my opinion.

Bushmaster is probably the best quality stock AR you can buy, and is also by far the best selling. They also have militray contracts.

ZM also makes a very high quality gas piston AR and upper which eliminates the need for a buffer tube.

Leinter-Wise also makes a VERY good gas piston upper which is being tested by the military, and which is also superior to Hks gas piston upper.

1/9 is for lighter bullets, 1/7 for heavier and tracers. I could go into alot more detail.

M4 feed ramps are good thing. Colt rifles come with them but most other companies do not use them exept for RRA which dremels them in.

I could go on and on for hours and hours.

1/9 is for lighter bullets, 1/7 for heavier and tracers.  I could go into alot more detail.

Most anybody that has hand loaded a rifle round knows stuff like that. Hell, I use a 1/10" twist with a 100gr HPBT doing around 3400FPS. 8 round quarter sized groups at 100 and 200 yards speak for themselves. It's not a super duper AR, but it'll kill most anything I point it at. Not too bad for a rifle that predates me by a good 10 to 15 years.

Edited by Rusty

I see the problem here, people are of the mistaken opinion that an AR is a real weapon, EVERYONE knows it is a fragile,over engineered PIECEof SHIT toy for anal retentive wannabe's! :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

G O B

Saigak,

I'm not impressed. You can know everything about ar's if you want, but if you check the site address, you'll quickly realize that what you know about ar's doesn't mean shit here. What the hell do ar's have to do with a saiga conversion? I can't even get the handgaurds back on a brand new m-4, but my conversion is coming along nicely. When I say nicely, I mean that when I pull the trigger, it'll go boom. I scratched the reciever and fucked up a few things, but it's all cosmetic, and nothing a little barbeque paint can't fix. (thanks jimmystop)

Your problem isn't that you have no knowledge of guns, it isn't that you ask too many questions, it's that you're a last-word-freak with the personality of napoleon dynamite.

my .02

"I can't convert a saiga, but I'm pretty good with a bow-staff." lol

Hahaha. My conversion is pretty much COMPLETE. And unlike yours, mine has no scratches on the outside that wernt already there, and nothing is fucked up. Unless you consider the pistol grip nut hole being a few millimeters too long fucked up.

I didn't have to have corinary artery bypass surgery because I stressed myself out so much doing it either! IT'S A FUCKING AK, TO EVERYONE ELSE AT THE RANGE, IT'S A COMMIE GUN, YOU BUY IT FOR FUNCTION, NOT CRAFTSMANSHIP! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN AN AWARD! JESUS!!!!

Pardon me, I'm a little slow, but did you say "that aren't already there", meaning you bought a used gun with scratches on it?????? I find that hard to believe as anal as you are, by the way, we should continue this topic in a new thread I started just for this type of thing, see "Saigak's Thread"

edit: I don't own a sig, nor any desire to. I don't gush over them, I don't care, why the hell did you say that??

Edited by shaneman153a
edit: I don't own a sig, nor any desire to. I don't gush over them, I don't care, why the hell did you say that??

Because the SIG is basically a VERY high quality AK.....ever see the internals to one?

Which is what this discussion is all about....my concern for quality.

Edited by SaigaK
Tell that to stan, of Stan's shooting Range, Florence, TX. You will not convince him, I guarantee it!

HAHAHAHH! Try talking to the Swiss military and Special Forces.

The Swiss know how to make a gun right.

Edited by SaigaK