Is a folding stock legal??? Sorry, Basic Question

I was recently told a folding stock is illegal on a converted Saiga 12.  I can't understand why, hoping someone could clarify this one.  I live in TX and assume this would be a Federal regualtion, not State (at least my state!).

Thanks!

They are ignorant, and quite simply, full of shit. As long as your parts count (922r) compliance adds up, you are good to go.

I believe that during the Assault Wepons Ban it would have been illegal, but with the sunsett of the AWB you should be good to go. Just dot your I's and cross your T's with you parts count. You never know when you might run into a cop who thinks he knows everything and tells you its illegal. You don't want them to have a reason to keep your gun.

It was actually Dave from Elite Firearms who told me this. Assumed he would know pretty well based on the praise for him on this board. He did not get into details, but said that because the S12 is a shotgun, not a rifle, the rules are different and it had something to do with being declared a DD. Anyway, if no one else seems to think this I will get the Folder. If anyone else has information contrary I would appreciate it.

Laws are restrictive, not permissive.

Laws don't outline the things that are 'legal'. They denote what is ILLEGAL, and if there isn't a law saying something is illegal, then it's legal.

If someone says something is 'illegal' or otherwise restricted, it is then up to them to show you what law or statute restricts the item in question.

When they can't, you can then call them a dumbfuck and be right.

In any event, the laws governing destructive device shotguns are so simple it's retarded that they have to be explained time and time and time again...

Three shoguns were reclassified by name. There is no blanket edicht that says 'all shotguns with certain features are DD's" ala the Assault Weapons Ban.

Simple formula.

If a shotgun isn't a USAS12, a Street Sweeper or a Stryker 12, than it isn't a DD.

Period.

It can have drum magazines, it can have folding stocks, it can be configured any way you wish.

Edited by McUZI

true Mc. my understanding is a folder is AOK in tx on a regular legal length shotgun. i cant see why it would be illegal. in NY its illegal. maybe dave is just covering his ass? is all I can figure?

from what dave said, im beginning to think that there are more than NY that have shotgun length laws and configuration laws. maybe THAT is the real issue, and he doesnt want to deal with it.

shaneman153a: The Streetsweeper was a Cobray manufactured copy of a South African gun. Now, Cobray only deals in parts for that gun and its other NFA firearms like the MAC-10 and M11/9. Check out this link on the streetsweeper family of guns...

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH09-E.HTM

The whole "world.guns.ru" website is a great resource, you should look around there some if you get the time.

thanks for the intel ky,

like I said, I thought "streetsweeper" was just a slang term for any shotgun with a drum on it. That's pretty wild about how that action works with the spring-loaded-key and all. I could still do more damage faster with my S-12 and 2 8rd mags! Thanks again!

You can have ANY & ALL of the mentioned in Texas as long as ya got the righteous paperwork.....I own/posess everything on that list except for the ZIPGUN...It's a little bit cloudy as to what the referal to a ZIPGUN is..tho.. :unsure: as most gun laws are cloudy as hell ......It can be a home made weapon/device etc.....under some interps...

Edited by StarLynx

yeh well, ya still need to pay the tax man. i consider that nonsense a violation of my 2nd amendmant rights. you all will see in the coming years the trend the liberal states have taken, its just a matter of time. you wont be happy when your rights are violated either. this isnt something like gay marriage. its a right you have in this country from this nation's outset.

StarLynx-- Use a piece of an antenna (the collapsable kind) that a .22 will fit into.

Strap it on to a block of 2X4 carved to resemble a pistol. Make the trigger group out of a wooden clothespin and a nail. Then you will have a classic "zip gun" . When you see one you will know what it is! This was the most popular project in my 7th grade shop class. However it was NOT part of the "approved" curriculum!

G O B

SO.... tell us Starlynx... of what form is your chemical dispensing device?

sounds kinda cool... Sarin for everyone! :D

:smoke:

Indy..I had that on my requisition order..rt along w/Tactical Nukes & a few other WMDs.......but the stingy basterds turned me down....( it did get me some extra days of R&R,tho...)..May send it in again since it's almost bird season ..heh-heh!..

They mostly only let me have the stuff that Imediately makes ya wonder why the hell ya said/did that & wann'a have cold water in your face :ph34r:

I own/posess everything on that list except for the ZIPGUN...

We need to go shooting starlynx, what part of TX?

Mostly West Texas...Shane..but here lately they send me everywhere....Give me a shout at my Email...we'll exchange Cell#s...been do'n a little bit of Wild Hog hunt'n by chopper lately....We can take turns hold'n the stick & collective steady while the other one shoots... :super: ..Yeah..I know...it's cheat'n..but ..I love have'n the edge... :smoke: ..heh-Heh!