Loose Piston Bolt Carrier

Hey Guys,

Is it normal for the pistion to sightly loosen up? Out of the box mine was wiggling a little. I tried tightening it but it loosened again after 100 rounds or so. I just don't want the bolt carrier to crack in the future.

Thanks!

The dimple on mine is just there to lock the threads into the carrier. It unscrews, no pin. I changed mine ou t(installed a tapco shotgun piston when they were still counting the carrier extension as a 922R part, then changed it back to factory after tapco recalled them) and used red thread locktite on it. Still tight after around 1000 rounds.

Here is an older link to when everyone was debating on the puck or the bolt carrier extension was the 922R part being counted by the ATF. The explanation of this on this older threadcan be found here.http://forum.saiga-1...iston-for-922r/ Here is a quote from that thread by USMC_LB

Back in the day, everyone was looking to find as many 922r compliant parts as they could to replace foreign parts with.

The "puck" WAS NOT common knowledge back then. Everyone assumed the gas system for the S12 shotgun

was the same as every other AK rifle...

The idea was to do what we've been doing on AK rifle conversions and change out the "gas piston".

The S12 shotgun bolt carrier "looked" like the AK bolt carrier/gas piston setup. Several companies cranked out some

S12 gas pistons and many people here swapped them out.

BUT, after closer inspection, someone realized that the design of the gas systems between the AK rifles and the S12 shotguns were actually

different from one another.

What LOOKED like a gas piston in the S12 shotgun was actually not capable of performing the action that a gas piston has to do

(there are no grooves). What looks like a AK gas piston is nothing more than an extension of the boltcarrier. The "puck" in the

S12 DOES have grooves in it and performs the duties like that of a standard AK gas piston (that IS pinned to the bolt carrier).

The difference being the "puck" in the S12 is not pinned the the bolt carrier.

I know this doesnt help you, but it does give you some history to WHY somebody might have a "gas piston" available and not

calling it a "puck".

LB

This part has changed in being counted back and forth several times in the past few years. I don't recall anyone having a letter from the ATF specifically stating that the bolt carrier extension is now to be counted as the gas piston towards 922R, I believe it's still the puck. Razorback

Edited by Razorback