Alright, I just sold another firearm and am looking to replace the hole in my collection. To fill said hole, I am looking at an SKS, but I'm not sure which SKS to buy. I've been seeing Yugo M59/66s in the grease (with bayos and grenade launchers) at the gun shows for <$129 and M59s (sans grenade launcher) for <$189. As far as I know, the Yugos don't have chrome lined barrels, but I'm not sure what that would mean to a guy shooting <2000 rounds per year.

Are there any other major things I should be looking for in an SKS? Are there any other nationalities I should be looking for? Is there anything I'm not asking that I should be asking?

Thanks

Edited by Rusty

Get the Yugo. There are muzle breaks available to replace the gernade launcher, and bi-pods to replace the bayonet. OR you can just use it like it is for a cheap/cool plinker and brush gun. Besides-if you get one of the M1 adapters and a dummy gernade (about $25) it just blows peoples mind when you open the gun safe and they see it for the first time!

G O B

I have seen the Russian SKS's NIB refurbs w/black bolts and laminated stocks selling for around $250 at gun shows lately. The Chinese Norinco SKS's average between $175 to $225 still in new looking condition. It depends on where you live across our country too the prices om sks's do vary too. If I was just going to have one sks I would go for a chinese with the chrome lined barrel. With the hard industrial chrome in the barrel you can shoot any ammo wether its corrosive or not. If you plan on shooting it a lot the chrome lined barrel will last a lot longer too. Now there is two different chinese sks's one has a barrel that is threaded into the reciever and the other one is pressed and pinned into place. They say the pinned barrel is more accurate of the two. You have other choices too the Romanian sks is another good sks too and they have just hit the market again too. The Albanian sks's are a bit pricey now too. I think you can find a used chinese rather easily they seem to pop up time to time. Most of the chinese sks's i see here still have cosmoline in them so they still need a good G.I. cleaning. No matter which sks you get remember to take the firing pin out of the bolt and clean it out good if left full of crud(cosmo) it can cause slam fires. I take them apart even if they feel free just to be sure they are ok. :super:

BTW; Once the sks is all clean and ready for reassembly I moly everything up like bolt, bolt carrier, trigger sear, reciever cover rails and i put a little on the gas piston too. Same lube job as my saiga gets too then its hammer time!!!!

WARNING>>>> After you shoot your first one you may have the desire to collect them all they are habit forming too.....just like the saiga's are too..if your going to collect sks's now is the time before the yugo's runout because all the prices can only go up when the supply runs dry. Collect them all....

Edited by Unknown Poster

Rusty, stripers or loading one by one is the way to go(watch you fingers, dont trip the bolt hold open while loading them), they are fun guns. I have a yugo, a chinese police, and two sks-d/m's. I used to think the things were poor mans ak's but the sks d is as fun to shoot as any of my ak's just no pistol grip on them. Keep you eyes open, I picked but both of my sks-d for less than two hundred out the door and got the dealer to toss a extra mag for the more expensive one. The yugo 59/66 are plentyful and cheep. If I only had a Dunhams here I am sure I would own another with the sale they are running.

I got the one in the pic for $98.00. Shoot I remember when I could walk into

Kesselrings ( master dealer ) around my house, and they had barrels and boxes

of them all over the place. Those days are long gone. :cryss:

The SKS? Major fun gun...

Well made, reliable and tough. It's hard to go wrong. It was the Saiga before the Saiga.

I've bought, traded, sold dozens over the years. And, have had a big time hacking & wacking on them, mostly when they were dirt cheap.

Like this...

26095sks_d_carb_2.jpg

and this...

26095sks_d_2_a.jpg

And this...

26095sks_pu_2.jpg

And, others (some hardly dinkered with).

26095Yugo_hi-cap_-3.jpg

Just dive in and have fun.

Edited by lollygagger
The SKS? Major fun gun...

Well made, reliable and tough. It's hard to go wrong. It was the Saiga before the Saiga.

I've bought, traded, sold dozens over the years. And, have had a big time hacking & wacking on them, mostly when they were dirt cheap.

Like this...

26095sks_d_carb_2.jpg

and this...

26095sks_d_2_a.jpg

And this...

26095sks_pu_2.jpg

And, others (some hardly dinkered with).

26095Yugo_hi-cap_-3.jpg

Just dive in and have fun.

Lollygagger  :unsure:

Lollygagger,

is that sks with the drum a paratrooper. Or did you rig it to take the ak drum.

That is really bad looking!! :super:

I'd like to do that to both sks I have before these gas prices spark a civil war!

:devil::chris::killer:

I can remember when this strange new caliber was new to our shores and they tried to sell the very first Chinese Norinco SKS for $1,000 and when they didn't sell the price eventually dropped to $59 and i got a free 1,000rd case of ammo with it too. I think most were gun shy of this new strange "MM" caliber. I got the ammo because my co worker was an FFL01 dealer and he passed the savings on to me he got both for $59. Other wise it was $59 for the sks and $59 for the ammo too. History does repeat itself too because when the very first yugo sks's were $1,200 some bought them I guess they forgot about the chinese sks. I still have my very first chinese norinco sks with all the chinese norinco ammo i stock piled too. Something told me to buy plenty of chinese norinco ammo when it was available and cheap back then. I can remember seeing crates and crates of new chinese paratroopers too back then. The guns you could of bought for under $100. It sure brings back memories.......

My hat is off to my co-worker who told me about this new chinese gun i had to have....and he was right. I was in the right place at the right time I just got thru fabricating a roof mount for his twin 30 browings for his volvo back then it made the front cover of machine gun news. He was a machine gun guru too.(classIII)

Edited by Unknown Poster

In the northeast at gun shows its the common price for a Russian refurb sks's here. I see them at gun shows often still in the box new.

I don't think there ever was a yugo with a chrome barrel ever made its just shiney from being shot. Thats the only drawback about the yugo's no chrome lined barrel I put them on the bottom of the sks list because of that. Chrome lining matters with barrel life. I tried to put a chinese chrome lined sks barrel in a yugo but the thread timing was 180 degrees off it locks up upside down the pin slots are off plus the ejection port is 180 degrees off too so it won't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid gun show...

I found a Yugo M59/66 with blade style bayo, grendate launcher/sights, still in the grease for $119 out the door. Rifle was in excelent shape, but no manuals, slings, or anything like that. Not that I'm complaining. Anyway, I'll go see how it fires in a couple of weeks, after I get the cosmoline out and school calms down a bit.

Anybody know of a decent scope/reddot mount that is pretty cheap?

Stupid gun show...

I found a Yugo M59/66 with blade style bayo, grendate launcher/sights, still in the grease for $119 out the door.  Rifle was in excelent shape, but no manuals, slings, or anything like that.  Not that I'm complaining.  Anyway, I'll go see how it fires in a couple of weeks, after I get the cosmoline out and school calms down a bit.

Anybody know of a decent scope/reddot mount that is pretty cheap?

I've yet to hear of a cover mount that will hold zero. :unsure:

The scope mount from Choate is about the best Ive seen. Has to be drilled and tapped but its worth it. The chrome barrel is okay but with todays non-corrsive ammo I dont think it makes much of a difference. The non chrome barrels are more accurate in my experiance. The chrome has to be apllied evenly throughout the bore and I think that is why some guns like the AK vary so much in accuracy. I know of a Steyr rifle that shot nice groups but the guy wanted the have the chrome bore. He sent it out for the plating and when it came back it shot 4 inch groups at 100 yards when before it shot 3/4 in groups. The chrome bore will not rust easily though. Back in the early 70's when I was a small arms repairman for the Army, we would get in SKS and AK rifles from the field. Some of them were badly rusted and almost unrecognizable but the bore would be perfect. I do like the chrome bore on my Saiga-12. The lead comes out easily.

Im going to take a wild guess and say that the stock was cut to look like an RPK and the pistol grip bolted on. Looks kinda cool though, I love the background. Thanks for the pics!

Im hot rodding an M59/66 Yugo (Dunhams $99.00) for a friend. I forgot how cool these things were! Too bad this ones going to be mostly a wall hanger, I dug through about 20 of them until I found this one, great shape.

I remember when I bought my Chineese paratrooper SKS from a little gun store for $89.00 They said it fired a "weird round" :lolol: I wish I woulda kept that rifle, it was great!

Nobody seems to be doing any extreme conversions or hot rod makeovers on these huh? I searched the net, nothing special. US stocks and AK mags are about it. Thats a shame, I see so much potential when the barrel and action are out of the wood. :wub: