Saiga 12 cycling issues, low brass issues, issues issues issues!&#

UPDATE:

I haven't shot this weapon since the last time I posted on here, so almost a month. I took it out yesterday is it jammed up again 2 out of 10 rounds. I just dont understand. Everything was the same as last time, I changed nothing. The only thing that was really different was the weather. I doubt that has anything to do with it. Also, last time I used REM OIL, this time i used CLP. Could be an issue?

I think i'm just going to sell it. I'm going to try to get $500 for it, but that might be a long shot considering it doesn't run flawlessly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you haven't taken off the quad rail completely do it and put the stock hand-guard back on, I have built at least a 100 or so S12s and every once in a while we see one that doesn't like the quad rai

Well right now im in the process of polishing the bolt n carrier. After this i will pull the gasblock and drill my ports to 3/32. Then give it a few test runs. If im still having problems i will start

I am the king of impatience! But we gotta get the thing running! Surely some of the pro's here will help some more! this maybe a challenge but it isn't an impossible one.   no clp isn't the issue! I

UPDATE:

I haven't shot this weapon since the last time I posted on here, so almost a month. I took it out yesterday is it jammed up again 2 out of 10 rounds. I just dont understand. Everything was the same as last time, I changed nothing. The only thing that was really different was the weather. I doubt that has anything to do with it. Also, last time I used REM OIL, this time i used CLP. Could be an issue?

I think i'm just going to sell it. I'm going to try to get $500 for it, but that might be a long shot considering it doesn't run flawlessly.

can you send to someone to look at? a member or smith before you get rid of it? you likely paid that for it and even new ones don't run well 60%+ of the time! Edited by Guns Are Great

UPDATE:

can you send to someone to look at? a member or smith before you get rid of it? you likely paid that for it and even new ones don't run well 60%+ of the time!

Yea i bought it in January for $660. I'm going to lose my ass on it for sure. Its gotten to the point where I'm just disgusted with it. Its like a bad relationship, I just want to part with it and never have to see it again. haha.

Dont sell it yet. You need to try and put it back to semi original. Factory puck, factory handguard, and shoot it. The gas ports look good! Make sure everything is lined up properly. Is the carrier hitting the gas tube? remove the trigger and hammer, slide the bcg, and bolt on the rails? are they binding? slick the hammer and bcg bottom as much as possible reinstall and repeat binding check. there is a recent thread on here were a guy had to mill his bcg to stop bind/drag b/c the rail was too large on one side. Also, is it possible if the stock was a really tight fit it is twisting the recvr slightly, I doubt it? but if it ran well before then it is something you've changed or missed possibly?? I also sent you a pm to check.

Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 1

I am the king of impatience! But we gotta get the thing running! Surely some of the pro's here will help some more! this maybe a challenge but it isn't an impossible one.

no clp isn't the issue! I use it exclusively b/c its all I have at the present.big_smile.gif also you sell it and someone here will buy it and make it run like a scalded dog and you will be sick! this problem is a jedi mind trick! you have to be the jedi or the trick, you decide!

Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 2

Let us know how it shoots without the quad! And yes i'm going to ask the question, What setting is your gas plug on? I know its silly, but sometimes we overlook the simplest of things while frustrated. I know you Jedi's out there don't, but I'm no yoda!

Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 1

I tore it all apart and for starters my quad rail was way too tight. I re-drilled the 4 gas ports to 3/32" listed in the FTE thread on here. I just have to carve out some of the block yet but that won't be tonight. There WAS a ton of carbon chunks in the gas port and the puc was completely black. I don't know if that is a sign of something. I just do not know enough about russian guns. The ARMY gave me a one track mind towards things haha. Although I'd take my AK47 over my issued AR anyday.

Thanks for the inspiration evlblkwpnz and unclejake. But yea I truly haven't put a whole lot into mine as others have. All I've done is install the tapco collapsible stock and pistol grip, quad rail, minor things here and there. I bought the CSS low brass reliability kit and have gone through the stickies. I've re-drilled the 4 gas ports to 5/64" and filed the gas block opening to expose the 4 ports. I've polished the bolt and rails and that's it. So not too much, but the gun is only 2 months old. Maybe I am under-gassed still, taking the gas block back off makes me shudder at the thought.

Is there anywhere you guys suggest me sending it to? Somewhere they will know what's going on and won't cost me an arm and a leg? I just got out of the Army so I'm not rich haha. I really appreciate all the help from everyone on here. Its really been helpful so far!

Sorry I'm late to the discussion boys! Seems to be some confusion here. I wide are those gas ports? This could make all the difference in the world.

Im having the same problems with mine. I havent pulled the gasblock off yet but i can see 3 ports. Tried the paperclip they are not blocked and each hole has a little play with the paperclip in it. I havent really shot it that much tho. The day i bought it i ran a 5 round mag using Estate shells #8 shot i think and it ran flawless, so i thought it was good to go. Cleaned it up and put it in the safe. Then i buy a promag 20 round drum for it, go out with the same shells and the first shot was good then it jammed on the 2nd, cleared the shell, it shot again then jammed and so on and so on... I dont see how just switching to the drum could cause a FTE problem. So im assuming its a gas issue. The gun Is stock and i havent done anythng to it yet. I know about the polishing and all that just trying to do my homework on this b4 i jump into it. What do you guys think or suggest.

Im having the same problems with mine. I havent pulled the gasblock off yet but i can see 3 ports. Tried the paperclip they are not blocked and each hole has a little play with the paperclip in it. I havent really shot it that much tho. The day i bought it i ran a 5 round mag using Estate shells #8 shot i think and it ran flawless, so i thought it was good to go. Cleaned it up and put it in the safe. Then i buy a promag 20 round drum for it, go out with the same shells and the first shot was good then it jammed on the 2nd, cleared the shell, it shot again then jammed and so on and so on... I dont see how just switching to the drum could cause a FTE problem. So im assuming its a gas issue. The gun Is stock and i havent done anythng to it yet. I know about the polishing and all that just trying to do my homework on this b4 i jump into it. What do you guys think or suggest.

I disagree with the Promag not possibly being the problem. As far as I am concerned, the Saiga and the Promag have two different personalities. Work on the Saiga first, make sure its running right. Possible gas port issues, polish and re-profile, etc. That thing should run like a top before trying to tackle the drum. Feeding issues, how the drum fits into the mag well, spring tension... The list goes on for things that maybe an issue, or not for the drum. It maybe (and probably is) the shotgun that needs some love.

• Like 1

Generally speaking drums put more pressure on the bottom of your bolt. Like the MD Arms drums for example, when tuning my auto plug to a mag where it would cycle perfectly, it would not do the same with the drum and I had FTE problems. I had to tune the auto plug to the drum due to the higher spring tension. Horrible profile pic BTW.

Mhagaraman...I don't know if this has been suggested or if you have already done it, but the MD Arms V-plug and booster puck solved ALL of my cycling issues. (I have shot only low brass with the exception of 5x 00buck rounds to test)

I went from literally 100% FTE to ~99% successful cycling (literally, I had 1/100 rounds fail on me today, and I'm gonna blame that on the bulk pack of ammo). For me, I cannot stress enough how well this gas adjustment and puck have worked. I cannot speak to the Autoplug, although I have heard nothing but good things about it as well. It may be different for you or you may have already bought these parts, but it was easily the best $40 I spent on my S-12 since I bought it.

Well right now im in the process of polishing the bolt n carrier. After this i will pull the gasblock and drill my ports to 3/32. Then give it a few test runs. If im still having problems i will start looking into a new puck and plug for it. Hopefully this will get it 100%

• Like 2

Ok well ive done a mild bolt and carrier polish mainly because i was scared to mess something up. This morning i pulled the gasblock and found i have a 3 hole gun, so i drilled out the holes to 3/32 and put it all back together. I first set it to position 1 with the factory 5 round first 2 shells FTE so i switched to position 2 and the other 3 shells ran perfect. Grabbed the Promag drum and fired off all 20 rounds no problems. I think i will try the Auto plug and i cant decide between the mdarms booster puck or the css performance puck... What do you guys think?

Also i need to get some more shells before i can do any more testing....

Edited by Bigchris

I have been having the exact same problem. I have had my saiga over a year. i had it converted by a gun smith. Used to shoot 6 shot like a champ. Now I have been having problems. The last time it worked I shot 00 buck on gas setting #2. Now all it does is jam. Gave it a good cleaning still jam. Did the cleaning with the paper clip in the gas port ans stills jams, BTW i only have one gas port hole.

Any help would be helpful!

Thanks