New to reloading, have questions.

Reloader Newby here: I have decided that I am going to be purchasing a progressive reloading press and the best I have found for the money is a Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive Press. I will also get a Hornady Reloading Book and Lock-N-Load Case Cleaner to round things out. I know for ease of reloading I should also get case lube any suggestions on that or does it not really matter who manufactures it?

The calibers I will be reloading for starters will be 9mm and .45ACP. Aside from what I have listed above I know I will need the appropriate dies but am I missing anything else? Will one powder do for both cartridges? Where can I get the best deal on jacketed bullets?

Thank to anyone that provides assistance or help,

MCASSgt New River

I reload for shotshells. You shuld get a decent scale. probably one of the most inportant thing to have. I have the hornday 366. very nice to use progresive. have you read thrugh the reloading section in here?

Edited by deadeye

I'm not trying to be an ass but I'd start on a single stage that way you can fully learn and understand each step before doing them all at once. You could add a cheap ass lee single stage and start there and as your confidence moves up go to the progressive. You will make mistakes and have to pull bullets out of cases so that's one thing I would add (bullet puller).

If you make those mistakes on a single stage first you will be pulling less bullets.

I agree with the above post when you fuck up with a progesive you have a bunch of rounds in difrent stages and have to start the whole thing over.it takes a little practice. take your time and pay atention every time you pull the handel till you get the routine down. dont let it run out of primers,powder etc.

I'm not trying to be an ass but I'd start on a single stage that way you can fully learn and understand each step before doing them all at once. You could add a cheap ass lee single stage and start there and as your confidence moves up go to the progressive. You will make mistakes and have to pull bullets out of cases so that's one thing I would add (bullet puller).

If you make those mistakes on a single stage first you will be pulling less bullets.

Thirded. I reloaded a few thousand rounds on a single stage press before I started working with a progressive. Of those rounds, I managed to make 500 rounds of 9mm where the bullet was not seated deeply enough, resulting in excessive OAL, because I assumed the bullet seating die was still calibrated exactly as it had been when I made the previous batch. I still need help to set up the progressive press.

I don't know a thing about Hornady dies, but can tell you from personal experience that Lee is great to work with. They make inexpensive, quality dies, you can purchase carbide dies for pistol calibers off the shelf (RCBS carbide dies are special order only, and rape-you-in-the-ass expensive) that will last forever, and they will make custom dies for any caliber you like, provided specs.

Have you considered plated bullets vs. jacketed? I can't recall the name of the place, but I've used plated 9mm bullets made by a company somewhere in Washington in the past, to no ill effect.

Edited by Shandlanos

Precisiondelta.com is the cheapest for true fmj. Powder valley is a good place for primers and powder. I agree that a single stage would be a good start but why spend the other money. Guys you relieze he can still load one bullet at a time with a progressive press. Just do one at a time till you get it the way you want it then go. Good luck

A mid-point between a progressive and single stage would be a Lee Classic Turret Press. Here are some excellent videos of how it works.... http://fsreloading.com/catalogs/lee-precision/how-to-videos.html I posted up the link because I don't think any of our forum vendors sell. these products. If I'm wrong and the mods ax it, PM me for the link.

I don't have an opinion on the Hornady Progressive, but loading auto pistol, especially 9mm, on a single stage is a tedious, time consuming PITA.

With carbide dies lube is not required, but does make sizing easier. The Hornady One Shot case lube is fast and convenient and adequate for smaller cases. Before they made 1 Shot I made my own, dissolving Lee Case Lube with 90% alcohol in a spray bottle. Large cases, like my .378 WBY and 50 BMG, I use Imperial.

There are powders that can be used in both, but there are other powders that perform best in one or the other. http://www.alliantpo...der/unique.aspx

Edited by 1mile50

RCBS all the way Life time warranty. You break something call them up and they will replace it for free, best costumer service out there. I load everything with a single stage press. I have seen to many people screw up with progressive presses, I will not get one.

RCBS all the way Life time warranty. You break something call them up and they will replace it for free, best costumer service out there. I load everything with a single stage press. I have seen to many people screw up with progressive presses, I will not get one.

Mistakes can be made using a single stage too. Usually it either is a double charge of fast powder or an empty case-no charge that is missed when reviewing the charged cases. Another really bad mistake is priming a loaded round after finding a missed primer.

Many progressive users attach a small mirror to their press which allows them to see the charges of powder as the cases pass under.

My Dillon 650 has a Powder Check installed. Simple and fool proof, it sounds a very distinct alarm if the charge is light, or heavy,

http://ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UafkPd06_F0

I have a Lee Loadmaster and while it is great when it is up and running it takes time to set up and get dialed in. What ever progressive press you end up with take the time to make sure every step is set up and operating correctly. Develop a consistent accurate routine and stick to it. As far as powder goes I like Hodgdon Titegroup for the pistols. I would also make sure to get carbide dies. Also should have good dial caliper. Berry's Mfg makes good copper plated bullets that are relatively inexpensive when bought in bulk.

RCBS *LEE* all the way Life time warranty. You break something call them up and they will replace it for free, best costumer service out there. I load everything with a single stage press. I have seen to many people screw up with progressive presses, I will not get one.

There... I FIXED IT FOR YOU!!!!!!!

Seriously, though... RCBS probably does have amazing customer service and of course a lifetime warranty... but I will stick with LEE products, myself ( and I *DO* have a few RCBS dies in about a half dozen different calibers ) because I just like the ergonomics of the lee stuff BETTER than RCBS... I had to replace ALL the brass set screws in my RCBS dies with steel screws because the brass is too weak for that application... whereas the LEE dies use a rubber o-ring in the retaining nut which I like a LOT better for convenience. It works and adjusts faster when needed... I also like the design of the "O" press better than the rockchucker ... and I own BOTH... I took my RCBS press off the bench and stored it away... the priming system on the RCBS needs a little something more compared to the lee design. Also, the primers get caught in a handy little tube below the press, not in a tray up top, in your way, like they do on the rockchucker... those are just a few of my observations... 032.gif

000.gif

I was told by a man lots older and more expericened than me that owned a lee progressive than if you get a progressive you won't be happy unless you get a Dillion. So if I ever feel like I need to save time ( right now my money is worth more than my time) I'll get the blue one. But I also second the turret I may get one of those soon.

Just a suggestion on a single stage.

So that you dont buy something you will not use again once you get your progressive I would get a Lee hand loader.

Its portability opens up some nice options for load development out at the range ( I just load off the back of my truck).

Its nice to have something you can pick up and take along with you.

And I also second using the Lee gear its solid and wont cost you a fortune.

The Carbide Dies will free you from having to use lube on the cases if the brass is clean. YMMV