HEAVY BARREL 5.45 Saiga

Okay, since someone here tipped me off about H-BAR Saiga in 5.45 I picked it up. Unfortunately the same, HBAR saigas in 5.56NATO and 7.62x39 are NOT available, right now. Hopefully later.

The good

1. The barrel is MASSIVE we are talking 18mm at the muzzle. This is MUCH thicker then any other AK-74 other then RPK-74. Thick barrel = tighter groups at rapid fire

2. 20" inch barrel. To me, it isn't about tactiKool, it is about accuracy and range. +4 inches of barrel = better ballistics, flatter trajectory.

3. Trigger is VERY crisp break.

4. Bulgarian AK74 mags fit without any issues.

5. Hunter style stock is comfortable but light. Then again I always liked hunter style stocks better then pistol grip. To me SKS and SVT-40 and M14/M1 Garand are more comfortable then anything with pistol grip.

GIven a choice between Norinco Hunter and Chinese AK-47 I took Norinco Hunter and never regretted it.

6. The whole damn thing is ROCK SOLID. We are talking about WW2 style rifle, that you can bash peoples' heads in. Even the receiver cover was about 50% thicker then on my Bulgarian Ak. NOw that I have this HBAR Saiga, I am selling my Bulgarian AK:-).

7. It is HEAVY. Heavy is Good. Heavy means sturdy. Our grandparents didn't think that Mosin or PPSh or Garand or M14 were heavy. We are wimps if a 7lbs rifle is considered "heavy"

The bad

1. The trigger is HEAVY. And I mean HEAVY. While crisp the trigger pull is MUCH worse then on my Mosin Nagant rifle, and compared to my Norinco Hunter it is HORRIBLE.

2. The front sight is weird. It comes ALL THE WAY to the muzzle end. It is pinned with two pins above the barrel. The barrel itself steps down a bit (about 1 mm total) for the front sight to be mounted. I have NO idea how to mount a flash hider on this thing.

3. The rifle is FRONT HEAVY. On one side it reduces muzzle climb, on another side it is not very comfy.

Verdict: this is JUST what I was looking for. It will need a feeding ramp, I will need to figure out how to put on a flash hider and how to move front sight back. I might get it into an "assault" configuration. Or I may just keep it the way it is, just add some US made parts.

I want TWO more of such heavy barrel rifles: 7.62x39 and 5.56NATO. If anyone has those - let me know.

Pictures - coming when I get to my camera

D

Edited by Tigerclaw_x
  • Like 1

All this info but where did it come from and who is the importer marked on the receiver? Is this the Saiga "M" model?

Dinzag mods .308 Saiga FSB's with an internal step, to be able to move them farther back onto the barrel, utilizing the rear most FSB pin hole as the new front pin hole. All thats needed is to drill a new second rearward pin hole and thread the muzzle to install a brake. Sounds like it could/would be the same process for this.

http://www.dinzagarm...308/308fsb.html

Edited by Mullet Man

It is not only 20" it is also HBAR. Instead of .591 inches, the barrel at the muzzel is 18mm at the muzzle. Basically the barrel is same thickness as Saiga 308 but it is only 5.45 caliber. It is a long heavy barrel Saiga

Edited by Tigerclaw_x

I got the current Long Barrel rifle in from Classic Firearms, and it also has the big barrel. Put in the Intrafuse Tapco handguard and had to use the .308 module (it has regular and a .308) for where it holds near gas block.

Serious rifle.

Edited by TigerMoses