My new toy, a Polish AK '74

the foregrip is crappy plastic and the folding wire stock is uncomfortable.

I plan on putting all wood furniture on it (including the pistol grip), replacing the rear sight with a peep one and I'm considering getting a bayonet for it too.

gallery_37526_742_615119.jpg

• Like 1

I soaked it in a ziploc and a couple ounces of denatured alcohol. That took off the paint and exposed the parkerizing underneath. If you want bare park, it may show irregularities in the quality of the gun and finish..

Cerrakote sells a couple of colors designed to approximate the look of park and park that has soaked in cosmolene for half a century while being more durable.

I wanted a Tantal, but they were sold out this past fall. I read about the Saigas and thought, "what the hell, I'll build my own 5.45 (quickly followed by a 7.62)".

I bought a Tantal folding stock for my 7.62 Saiga and I love it.

Grab a spam can and shoot the crap out of it!!!!

I almost bought one. They were $425 last month at a LGS but I couldnt do it knowing all the problems Century had with these

CIA went ape shit during the obama scare. not an exceptional build but, mostly good builds. They do fuck up a lot of builds but will take care of you in the first few months.

For the money, It's a good start. I expected some fuck ups and easily fixed the problems myself.

Hammered the hell out of the rivets and used the old russian key.

Congrats!

The day I sold my SAR2 was one of the saddest days of my life...

amen! i gave my sar2 to a friend who built my deck for free. he earned it but, it sure is hard to watch him fire it! Impossible to find now. Oh well. At least I have a nice deck that I otherwise couldn't afford!

I remember passing up on the SAR2...dumb...dumb...dumb! Oh well!

Why wont they import them anymore?

the SAR2 is an odd ball. every part on it is made by the same arsenal. All the components are made in one place and meant to be on that rifle. the barrel and all the surface points are hard chromed so you can dump loads of corrosive ammo down range and piss down the barrel and wash it off in a pond to clean it. they shoot tighter than any other 5.45 I have owned excluding an odd ball steyr target rifle. the only thing I had to do to make it tighten up was to crown the muzzle that most always has some vodka marks on the end.

it's as close to an ak as you can get without signing the dotted line and getting shipped to the sand box or poppy fields.

If you see one, feel confident paying 450 for a beaten up one and around 600 for a good one. If you find a new one, please email me and I'll make it worth your trouble. :) On the right side of the receiver it will say SAR2, not to be mistaken with this piece of shit.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281875451 this has the upper but isn't even close to the real deal. ejection side of the rifle towards the front of the receiver will have crude markings by the importer. looks like hell shoots like a dream.

Edited by storm6490

How can he tell which sort of Polish 74 he got? I take it that "Tantal" is a broad term akin to "Ford" and that there were numerous sub-models of varying desirability.

What should he be looking for beyond crooked blocks?

Also, what kind of magazines should he pick up, so as not to have problems?

Preferred quality Ammo, Preferred cheap ammo?

Also, I wanna hear how it shot, Salt. gimme a call. Fire a few rounds due East. I'll let you know if any make it down my way.

It matters to me, because I wanna help him break this guy in.

Nope that specific rifle is the Tantal. If Im not mistaken the Wz88 in 5.45x39 is the only rifle referred to as a Tantal. The Wz96 (5.56x45) is the Beryl and all the standard Polish AK47's are referred to by their acronym (AKM/S)

Beyond Century's obvious canted blocks, and sights he should get a small variety of ammo, set up targets at different distances (say 25, 50, 100 yards) and shoot to see if it keyholes at any one of those distances. Century was known for putting in out of spec barrels ( wrong diameter, wrong twist) They eventually fixed this but....

The Tantal will take standard 5.45 mags. Milsurp mags are best.

Ammo depends on the specific rifle he has. Some rifle shoot better with cheap ammo so dont. Just depends on the rifle. No two identical rifles will like the same ammo. Buy both to try out however right now the cheapest also happens to be milsurp which is quite good.

the SAR2 is an odd ball. every part on it is made by the same arsenal. All the components are made in one place and meant to be on that rifle. the barrel and all the surface points are hard chromed so you can dump loads of corrosive ammo down range and piss down the barrel and wash it off in a pond to clean it. they shoot tighter than any other 5.45 I have owned excluding an odd ball steyr target rifle. the only thing I had to do to make it tighten up was to crown the muzzle that most always has some vodka marks on the end.

it's as close to an ak as you can get without signing the dotted line and getting shipped to the sand box or poppy fields.

Stop it. You're going to make me cry...

*Update*

ok i took the gun apart and started adding the wood furniture. Added the peep-sight (1000 meters)

I haven't painted the gun yet and i was a bit lazy and put bolts instead of rivets for the rear tang. The upper handguard is plastic, till i can make a adapter for the wood one.

i do plan to put rivets in and i bought a leather black sling.

gallery_37526_742_531690.jpg

gallery_37526_742_573061.jpg

and you guys are right this is a tantal.

.... oh and gunfun, it shoots great. i just got back from the range, trying out the new peep sight.

it was a little different than shooting my R.E.P.R., instead of aiming mid-post i needed to aim top of post. so my shots were off about 1" 1/2 @ 75 feet

also because the sights are low-ish profile, i had to rest the stock higher on my shoulder than i usually like.

Edited by Salt